App Suggestion for Locking MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by sparkomatic, Jan 10, 2019.

1. sparkomatic, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Hello all. Wondering if anyone can suggest an app for my MacBook Pro. When I am connected to my home network, I would like to keep my Mac from locking (which I am doing now by not having the setting enabled). However, when I take my Mac outside my home, I'd like for Mac to lock after a set time. And then I can unlock it with my Apple Watch.

I saw an app called ControlPane but it looks like it's really buggy and hasn't been updated in awhile. Not really sure to even start looking for this...if it even exists! Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Sorry for posting here...just noticed the forum for Mac Apps. I have posted my question there.

Moderator, feel free to delete or close out this thread. Thanks.

2. kokako macrumors regular

Hi, you don't need to buy an app, click on the apple logo top left on your mbp and go into system preferences then "security and privacy" there you can select the time you'd like it to lock.

3. Sumleilmus, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019

Sumleilmus macrumors member

Sumleilmus

1. Try Jiggler.app, from Stick Software. I've been using it for years. It prevents the Mac from locking by preventing sleep. If that approach is not what you want, keep looking.

2. Also, I might not know enough to make this suggestion, but can you not make two locations in System Preferences>Network and have one set of settings in System Preferences>Security for locking after 8 hours in the location you've named Home and 5 minutes or 15 minutes in the location you've named Elsewhere or whatever.

3. Write an Applescript to toggle the preferences for you.

4. sparkomatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I might try to use an app I'm already using called Amphetamine. I can set triggers (one of which I use to disable the screen saver when connected to my home wifi). Thinking I can have the screen saver enable when not on my home wifi and lock the screen.