app to make raw motion jpg & AVCHD files playable on DVD players

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sossity, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I recently purchased a Panasonic Lumix DMC-Zs7, & I am reading about it's video formats. It shoots AVCHD lite movies and motion jpg movies. I would like to be able to burn these raw movie files unedited to blank DVDs, so my family can view them right away, in the excitement of filming, they are eager to see the results. They do not like to wait for me to do the complex & tedious process of video editing with titles etc, to play. Being able to just burn the raw files for immediate viewing relives me of the burden of complex video editing, of which I do not enjoy very much, & makes family happy, to get the video out of the camera to the DVD player & TV. We have a Philips DVD player that says it can play Divx movies, & an analog tube TV.

So is there a quick painless way that I can get the raw files out of the camera and onto DVD for viewing on a TV. Or is the raw material only viewable on the camera & computer?

If the only way to get this material to DVD is by complex video editing, I could be stuck editing literally hours of footage that my family likes to film, they have the film bug, & like to film everything.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Connect the camera to your Mac, open iMovie, import the footage from the camera - the video has to be transcoded now to be able to edit them - put the clips in the timeline, open iDVD and select the right project and sequence and create a simple DVD and let iDVD do the rest - the footage is agin transcoded - the resulting DVD is a video DVD and is playable by a video DVD player.

The source footage is using an MPEG-4 codec (H264 most likely) and video DVDs use the MPEG-2 codec.

You could also connect the camera to the TV if you want, but if you want to sent the videos to different members a DVD is needed.

Also have a look at Toast Titanium, as it can burn and archive AVCHD footage to a video DVD if I remember correctly, which would save you one transcoding process.

3. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I also found this; http://forums.mobymemory.com/Topic34658-57-1.aspx

will this work?

also, my Camera came with a software disc, but it is windows only.

if I convert to mpeg-2, what seetings should I use

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know if that application will work, but it looks like a bad Windows port. Better spend your money on something like Toast, but as I don't use an AVCHD camera I have no first-hand experience to talk about.

It is best to find an application that can read your camera's footage and can burn it to a video DVD, whereby it has to transcode the video itself. Just know, that a SL (Single Layer) DVD with a capacity of 4.7GB should only take 60 to 75 minutes of video, if you want good picture quality. A DL (Dual Layer) DVD with 8.5GB should be able to hold 120 to 150 minutes of video.

As video DVDs have a specified structure, you just can't simply transcode to MPEG-2 video, you have to author the DVD too.

Have a look at the following link, as it explains how to get footage from a camera to video DVD within iDVD, maybe it works with that. If not, you can always go the iMovie >>> iDVD route.
    http://www.apple.com/support/ilife/tutorials/idvd/id1-1.html

5. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I looked up reviews of roxio toast titanium on amazon & it got alot of bad reviews. I have used a windows version of roxio easy media creator in the past & it was not easy to use.