App Updates, Where Art Thou?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dsiiist, Sep 25, 2014.

1. dsiiist, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

dsiiist macrumors regular

So I've had my iPhone 6 for about a day now, and I've gotta say this is the phone apple should have made a while ago. Thank you apple for the very needed update and the best screen I've ever seen on a phone. Anyways so everything is great except the apps they all look very crappy aside for a very very few, even Facebook, whatsapp, and instagram are still not updated.

Tell me wucha think and if anyone finds out when they r optimizing there apps, please share it with us

P.S (off topic) the apple silicone case is the way to go if u were wondering

2. dsiiist thread starter macrumors regular

btw i am not having any other issues on iOS 8, no crashes, lag or crappy battery life everythings fine

3. troop231 macrumors 603

Chill out man! As a developer they are taking a much longer time approving apps than normal. We're talking 3 weeks for some devs. Also, Apple gave devs the shaft this year and gave basically zero heads up on how to deal with the new screen sizes. It literally is a mess that will take months to transition smoothly.

4. shaunmed macrumors regular

theyre probably not updating b/c they will likely recall all iPhone 6+

5. chrise2 macrumors 6502

I'm guessing its more complicated then opening up the source code and doing File -> Save As -> iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. :) Programmers need to deal with supporting 2 new resolutions in addition to the previous resolutions. But yeah, i'm surprised we're not seeing more. When they went from 4s to the 5 it took a little while for developers to stretch out their apps. Before you know it, everything will be optimized. Still waiting for 1080p Flappy Birds...

6. dsiiist, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2014

dsiiist thread starter macrumors regular

i remember Facebook was updated ASAP for iPhone 5

7. troop231 macrumors 603

You do realize the iPhone 5 transition was relatively easy, right? The screen width was the same, so for things like scrolling lists and table views (think of the news feed in FB), there was nothing or hardly anything to change.

This year is much different; we have to deal with wider and taller screens this time around.

8. Macshroomer, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2014

Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Waiting for my new clutch to get put in my truck....hate getting stuck on devices for hours on end while I wait....

9. dsiiist thread starter macrumors regular

Fruit Ninja is optimized........... Not that anyone cares :p

10. OrderFromChaos macrumors member

Don't forget assets too.

Between the backlog for approval, two new resolutions, 3x assets, and QA testing it will take time. I'm guessing a couple months myself.

11. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

Apple completely ********* app developers so don't expect instant updates. In fact, if I was an app developer I wouldn't even bother investing time and money into fixing Apple's problems until I can verify it has been fixed on their end first.

12. musiciscool macrumors regular

Seriously? Have you used a 6 plus? It's great!

13. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

It's usually a while until they start rolling out. Especially the 'big ones' you are talking about. I remember when the 5 came out it took Whatsapp ages to update to the new screen size.

14. dsiiist thread starter macrumors regular

WhatsApp is usually slow with there updates, but Facebook is usually the first, wuts taking em too long

15. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

No offense, but...
    *WhatsApp developers are *their *what's *them *so *?

And I'm a German, so ... well ... You should be correcting me, but instead I feel obliged to correct you?? :p
    But seriously. Most developers don't even have those devices yet! Give them time to think about how their app could benefit from the bigger screen (splitscreen? additional buttons? etc.) and then actually code it. Also, the updates you get now have been submitted to Apple a week ago, don't forget that ;)

16. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to see the delay as a positive, hopefully it means developers are actually taking their time to utilise the benefits of the larger screen by adding landscape/split screen features as well as just adding higher resolutions.

17. dsiiist thread starter macrumors regular

OR as usual just being slow. WhatsApp debs took more than 2 months to update the app for iOS 7 and no new features or anything, just an iOS 7-like design

18. dsiiist thread starter macrumors regular

Not all devs are like u dude, Facebook probably had the iPhone 6 or at least it's exact res and screen size 2 months before it was out, I see no reason for them to have updates for both their Facebook and whatapp apps

19. dsiiist thread starter macrumors regular

IGN app: Updated*

What's your excuse Facebook?

20. r-m macrumors 6502a

Twitter seems to be updated, but crashes too much (especially in the background), and photos aren't displaying properly in landscape.
    Seems taking their time might be the better option.

21. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Flipboard, Instagram and Facebook are what I need updated. Tired of looking at slightly blurry text.

22. dsiiist thread starter macrumors regular

False alarm, so appearently the app was updated to be *compatible* and not optimized?

Add it to the list of blurry apps #

23. dsiiist thread starter macrumors regular

At least they gave us something, unlike the others

24. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It will be months before the apps are fixed. Some will never be fixed.

You will have to be patient.

25. dsiiist thread starter macrumors regular

Well with whatsapp patience does NOTHING they take way too long and in return give nothing