Appalling Anti-Gay Cartoon

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BigAppleNYC123, Sep 29, 2017.

1. BigAppleNYC123, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017

BigAppleNYC123 macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

I am confident LGBT Tim Cook would agree key differences between football players and “Christian” bakers include:

- Football players treat everyone equally with their knees.

- The bigoted baker is discriminating specifically against gay people.

- Externalities imposes by the bigoted baker (money, Time) exceed that of the costs imposed by a knee, such as crushed grass or astronturf.

The analogy of the cartoon is a MEGAfail.

All of this Baker shenanigans will end when the Supreme Court rules in favor (as they always do) of LGBTs in an upcoming case, and conservatives grudgingly adjust, per the usual.

EF02A91B-15D4-490E-871F-3527F6ACFB65.jpeg 854471FE-55CE-4760-8778-F4D51ACA25A8.jpeg 9AA94CE0-31C8-451E-9E35-7CDE5C5965C6.jpeg 5156316B-C498-4CBB-A4CE-239F25962543.jpeg

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I see no problem with the cartoon.

Off topic - It is nice to see you doing something other than rant about Nazis.

3. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

Conservatives often don’t have strong moral compasses.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I found this just for you...

brush.jpg

5. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

If you honestly think anti LGBT discrimination is equivalent to taking a knee, you lack morality.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Don't see a true parallel in the two situations. Football players are employees and should do as their employer asks if they want to keep their jobs. If the owners think allowing people to spit on the flag during the beginning of their game will increase their ratings, more power to them. A baker is likely a business owner who could close shop if he doesn't want to provide the public a service.

7. BigAppleNYC123, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017

BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

Thank you for correctly identifying that although bakers work in a private enterprise , businesses exist in the public sphere, and businesses are not anarcho-capitalist enclaves free from anti discrimination Laws.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

How the hell did you get there from his post?

9. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

1. The analogy of the cartoon doesn’t work
    2. The cartoon is morally unacceptable because of its anti lgbt bias
    3. Anyone who thinks that anti gay bigotry is equivalent to taking a knee, necessarily lacks moral worth, because anti lgbt discrimination is far more egregious than crushing AstroTurf with a knee.

10. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I like caramel people (especially ladies), I like chocolate people (especially ladies with Afro's ), I like vanilla people (especially gingers) I like all the ladies :D I don't think this cartoon is anti-gay but I do think the baker ought to just bake the cake or bake the fine. OTOH maybe I just like ladies :p

11. jerwin macrumors 68020

Better to spit on the flag, than die at the hands of a thug in blue.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Football players collectively bargain with owners and their mutual agreement establish the rules under which they work. This is not the same situation as a typical management/worker hierarchy where the boss can simply bark out an order and expect the worker to obey or hit the road.

13. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

And god loves a Union :D

14. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I don't think the cartoon is anti-gay per say, but rather pro freedom. But what such people don't realize, is that when you go into business you pretty much have to treat people equally in today's world. Imagine signs going up on businesses that said they "don't serve negros." Do we really need to go back to those days?

I don't think so.

15. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

you're either brave or stupid or perhaps both if you force someone who doesn't like you to make you a cake that you and your friends will ultimately consume. anyone who ever waited tables and had a jerk for a customer knows. you might think you won that argument but reality is you probably didn't.

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I would hope that someone who was really christian would not spit in or do something to the cake, but if they do, then they aren't really christian in the first place are they? Thus invalidating the religious freedom argument.

17. 0007776 Suspended

I see no problem with the cartoon and think it makes a good point.

I don’t get the connection to the previous pictures though.

18. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well, actually since the players work under a collective bargaining agreement, the owners can't just make them do whatever they want. If the owners decide they want to demand all players stand at attention on the sideline during the playing of the National Anthem, then that is something they would need to bring up at the next contract negotiation.

Somehow I don't think the owners are going to do that.

19. Zenithal macrumors G3

I recall bringing up the difference in these cases in another thread. On a sidenote, I'm really hoping Apple debates MTS. Call me evil. :p

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I think that the SCOTUS will prove you wrong that the baker is discriminating, in Masterpiece Cakeshop v Colorado Civil Rights Commission this term.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They will when their next advertising contract negotiation leaves them a few million short.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I've found an article that looks at some of the facets of the agreements between player, team, and league: https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/23/donald-trump-fired-roger-goodell-player-protest

In the end, it would probably end up in court, and I'm not going to try and predict how it would come out. The most likely solution IMO is that the owners would offer the players some money in exchange for a rule that forbids any protests during the anthem. As much as players love their free speech, I think they could easily give up the opportunity to protest during those three minutes if someone would make it worth their while.

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

It would be a lot simpler to just tell the coach to bench anyone protesting.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You would only encourage further protests with heavy-handed, authoritarian tactics like that.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Sounds like the owners and coaches are in a tough spot of their own making then.