Apparently, not all iPhones 5 are the same...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scaredpoet, Sep 15, 2012.

1. scaredpoet, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

One interesting thing that caught my attention when studying the tech specs for the iPhone 5:

[​IMG]

The * points to an Apple kb article that describes how to identify what model iPhone you have, but doesn't go into any specifics on why there's a difference between the two (well, three really). Interesting thing though: Apparently Apple is gone back to etching the IMEI of each phone into the rear shell.

So, apparently there are three different variations of the iPhone 5: an "A1428" without CDMA capability and only 2 LTE bands, and then two "A1429" variants, one with support for CDMA carriers and more LTE bands (but neither of the ones that A1428 support), and one without CDMA and two fewer LTE bands than the CDMA model.

Obviously a very different situation from the 4S, where each 4S had all the radios needed, and even worse than the 4, where only two variants existed. This will definitely complicate things for people who would want to unlock their phones. Not to mention, how do you buy unlocked? Which LTE bands do you go for?

Not blaming Apple on this, as clearly LTE seems to be the most fragmented standard out there, in terms of global spectrum use. But I did find that interesting.

Also, kinda makes me wonder why A1428 gets its own model number while A1429 gets two revisions, with what seems like pretty big differences between them.

2. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

Yes there are 3 models for each part of the globe..

3. wongulous macrumors 6502a

There were two iPhone 4/4Ss, and the CDMA ones all had GSM capabilities (GSM were GSM only). But really there was a separate iPhone for each carrier anyway, the CDMA were just the same guts but different software and packaging per carrier.

Why do you care? The new third variant is for emerging global markets with different frequency bands.