Appeals court says that concealed carry isn't a right

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Khalanad75, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article82780187.html#

I tend to agree. There is nothing to the second amendment that states you can "bear arms" secretly about your person every day. (it doesn't explicitly say the opposite either.)

2. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

It is from the 9TH Circus Court in California... the one most overturned by SCOTUS...

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

BTW, that judge who gave the Stanford Rapist three months was just reelected.

4. Robisan macrumors 6502

Several other circuits agree:

The decision was in line with rulings in the appeals courts of the Second, Third and Fourth Circuits, but contradicted a ruling in the Seventh Circuit, according to the Wall Street Journal.

5. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

SCOTUS will most likely hear this after President Clinton elects a Scalia replacement. This ruling will be upheld by a 5-4 majority.

6. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Don't really care. Concealed carry, by definition, is concealed. i.e. not revealed. i.e. not known. i.e. frankly, works for me.

I'm a 69 year old guy with stage IV pancreatic cancer. I doubt I'd live long enough for the courts to get to my trial. As long as I make bail, I'm good.

7. ForkHandles macrumors regular

ForkHandles

I don't want to start a riot but........

Most Europeans struggle with the idea that it is good law to let people have guns. A gun's sole purpose is to wound and generally that's bad, really bad.

Now I understand you have a bill of rights and that it is listed that you have a right to bear arms, possibly a good idea two hundred years ago.

What I don't understand is why Americans cling to their second amendment so dearly, when to 500 million Europeans it just sounds dangerous .

Does anyone have a link that they could share to a potted history of why the 2nd was and will remain so important to people in the US?

Probably better to send a link than to explain on the forum as I am sure that there are thousands of opposing views on the subject.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Actually there are only two.

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

FYI: In most recent times, Obergefell v. Hodges, which came out of Perry v. Schwarzennegger, which overturned the ban on same-sex marriage, came out of the 9th Circuit, and was affirmed by SCOTUS.

Not sayin', but I'm trying to say...

BL.

10. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

... and even a blind squirrel ... oh, never mind.

11. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Using this logic, if conceal carry is a right in one State, then it must be a right in others. Thanks for playing. Not like the ninth circuit hasn't contradicted itself before.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Your issue is with the other circuit courts, not the 9th, which is why we have SCOTUS to begin with. If the 9th rules that it isn't a right, and the 3rd or the 5th Circuit rules that it is, that is when it goes to SCOTUS, where you can say that if it is a right in one state, then it is a right in all.

This is what happened with Prop. 8, Perry, and subsequent Same-sex marriage cases, which lead to Obergefell.

Apparently you are not understanding our court system.

BL.

13. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

I understand perfectly how it works. My comment on contradiction in the 9th circuit is simply an observation.

14. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

15. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Think about it this way. If this case hypothetically reached SCOTUS today, it would be a split ruling without Scalia and all the lower court rulings would be left standing, the law would be different depending on which circuit court jurisdiction you live in. But that won't happen because the case won't reach the court until next year. By then surely Scalia's seat will have finally been filled. The outcome of this case directly depends on who wins this presidential election.

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I was taking that into account when I said what I said.

17. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

This will get overturned only if Trump wins, I don't see that happening.

18. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I don't think so, I'd be to big of a departure. We will see though

19. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

The Second Amendment is even more simple in context and scope:

Yet some entities will try to spin and pawn it onto people as:
    Note the huge amount of missing context, which the forefathers put in for what clearly are obvious reasons and context.

But they who try to sell an inaccurate and incomplete second amendment also try to meddle with other amendments by making free speech zones, eliminating privacy, stuff nobody minded when Bush was president a decade ago but seem to mind back then... and, of course, abusing the 5th amendment as well.

20. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

I'm sorry to hear this and sending good vibes your way today so that any treatment you are following works out well.

21. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Its all due to lobbying by the NRA.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

we had WON Peruta and now overturned, I have my permit already but this sucks for many others.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 10, 2016 ---
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/frankmi...ed-carry-gun-ruling-is-nonsense/#531b8f0e38b9

23. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Okay, but it also doesn't strictly define your Right to inhale and exhale. Sure their is the 9th Amendment but if you want to argue that gives you the Right to breath then it can be argued that the Second gives me the Right to carry concealed.

24. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

If your legally married in one state all 49 other states have to treat you as married.

If one state allows you to carry a hidden gun in it's borders, it's of little concern for the other 49.

25. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

You can't compare a union to carrying, unless you marry your gun. :p