Appeals Court Upholds Counseling School's Code of Ethics on Gay Clients

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Dec 20, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good- this woman needs to go find another line of work. Glad to see this was upheld.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...-gay-clients/2011/12/19/gIQA6b3H5O_story.html

2. samiwas macrumors 65816

Good! Glad to hear it.

I remember the thread here about this one from a while back. As I recall, there was quite the division in opinions!

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, this was definitely the right thing. I wonder where she'll appeal next? You know these people never stop. I doubt she's done.

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

She is interested in the wrong line of work IMO. Even as a christian counselor one should be able to accept people for who they are and counsel accordingly.

5. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Sounds like she's going to be a heck of a counselor....Maybe Mr. Bachmann is hiring.

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That would be the perfect place for her. Maybe she can get a degree in reparative therapy from Bachmann.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Maybe she's On A Mission From God???

Attached Files:

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what she thinks.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Then allow her to become a priest, and get her the Hell off of the streets. :(

10. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I don't understand the need to spread ones religion at work or in school. I don't begrudge anyone their faith, but asking that it not be included at work or school is not a punishment. It's not infringing on your faith. It's just asking that work be work, school be school and religion be kept in your private life.

That being said, if your employer doesn't care, or if in the course of your work, a client/customer brings it up, then that is probably ok. But, this woman was counselling gay clients and inserting her personal religious beliefs. That's not very professional.

11. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

To be fair there isn't an off and off switch for religious beliefs. They govern life; work and personal.

IMO she needs to be a Christian counselor (assuming that isn't her goal) and say so upfront as a disclaimer as well as marketing.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Not this "work" they don't, and good riddance.

13. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Really, are you seriously saying that I can't do what I do without my job being controlled by my beliefs? I'm sorry, but that's BS. I can believe anything I want without having to tell everyone about my beliefs. It's simple.

14. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

There are plenty of Christian biblical counselors out there. If given a disclaimer beforehand I don't see an issue.

Unless people are court ordered to attend her sessions it's a non-issue.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It's an issue if she is unable to keep her religion out of her work there.

And with this, I will stop giving you a pulpit to speak from. Mine anyway. :)

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Wrong- the school has the right to hold her to standards. They can lose their accreditation if they don't. She can't do the job. She's said as much herself. She will not graduate as she refuses to do the required work, so she won't be able to counsel.

If she wants to preach, she should go into theology.

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I have a problem with that. Religion is a choice. People aren't born religious, it's impressed upon them by family or society. Since it is a choice, it's impossible for there not to be an on and off switch.

I do agree that she needs to limit her counseling to people who espouse her brand of christianity. Anything else smacks of religious intolerance.

18. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

As I stated above she should classify herself as a religious counselor. They do exist and they do have a different belief system than secular secs.

I agree with this school and that is why I said earlier that if she wants to be a Christian counselor she should of seeked a theological or Christian university to be accredited from, if that's possible.

Think about it this way. Speaking strictly from a Christian standpoint, since that is what the subject at hand is, you cannot turn it on and off or maybe a better statement would be you aren't supposed to. When one turns their life over to Christ that is exactly what they do. They turn their whole life over. Not just their 5pm-9am life, or their weekends, or their online life. They turn everything over to Him including their life at work.

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

To me that is an extremist view, not a mainstream christian view. It also seems to totally disregard the fact that only God is the judge, not humans.

20. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It looks like she can.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chr....,cf.osb&fp=626f9fd14bed4ca8&biw=1279&bih=673

21. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I'm not saying I agree with the woman but I am saying if that is her belief and right or wrong she isn't going to just turn it off for work.

I think the best case scenario would be to get an alternative degree and do a disclaimer of who she can and cannot counsel.

At least the courts realized that discrimination for a secular accreditation is unacceptable.

Thanks.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

She can always work at Marcus Bachmann's clinic. Sounds like she's qualified *******e enough.