Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
And since gamers are a very small minority among Mac users that is a rather moot point. Many more Mac users will enjoy the extra working space of a nominal 2560 x 1440 pixel workspace compared to the 1920 x 1080 working space compared to those that would enjoy the faster performance of the lower resolution screen. Why should Apple release something that is preferred by only a minority of its users?

why? Cause you decided that people do not game on macs? and therefore consider it moot?

Gaming, be it on consoles, phones, laptops , desktops , iPads etc is a huge pastime for many people .

let me guess, you do not game , and therefore see the iMac 5K as a professional machine ? It's actually suppose to be a jack of all trades , always has been . An iMac should be a great tool for the entire family.

I'm not talking hardcore PC gamers, I'm talking people who enjoy playing games at adequate performance levels.

Time to wake up. People like yourself who edit 4K content etc, are the minority these days. The pro user is becoming the minority for Apple. The casual gamer is actually a huge money maker . Apple "pro" machines will be gone soon...id say the Mac Pro is dead this year, high spec iMac will follow soon. Welcome to Tim Cook Apple

Last edited:

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Remember Apple's old 30-inch cinema displays...? Our in-house photographers still use them to this day.

I still use mine and love it. My only complaints are the outdated ports on the back and lack of power coming from them. The dual USB ports on my wired Apple keyboard that's plugged into the ACD are completely unusable for charging an iPhone, let alone an iPad. I can't even plug in a thumb drive without it telling me "USB Device Needs Power - Connect "USB Flash Memory" to a USB port on this Mac."

I have serious doubts we'll ever see any standalone display from Apple with a 16:10 aspect ratio and/or with an anti-glare option again.

Reactions: Col4bin

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I'm on page 3 of comments and honestly I'm not seeing where everyone is getting the idea that this will let you game on a Mac with a low end gpu.

This seems more like a pass through solution that won't actually make gaming or graphics performance any better.

Yeah I figured it was just a way to get around the fact we can't get 5k with a single cable without bodged methods. Nothing to do with increasing the power per se.

Also, even if you could get a top end gaming video card running in OS X - there are no games to make use of it and its not like they'd start coming even if they were. It'd take more than Apple just supporting hardware they'd have to make a big push into the gaming market for Macs which they're obviously not interested in doing really.

Reactions: Xgm541

Apple-Guy

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2010
Belgium
Yep. Mine two ACDs are still running strong after more than 10 years of heavy use.
Love them, especially the matte option. So sad Apple dropped it for that shiny glaring screen.
That said, can't wait to,buy two 5k displays for my work. They are gorgeous!

Mmmmmhm!! They should really bring back the matte option, it's soooooo much better than the reflective "i can see every smudge" ones, not only for the external displays, but for the laptops & desktops as well

samer1970

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2016
Ok everyone let's get a couple of things straight:

1. Thunderbolt 3 uses the same USB-C plug - but is NOT "USB-C". Just like Thunderbolt 1/2 use a DisplayPort plug but are NOT DisplayPort protocol.

2. Thunderbolt 3 can do 40 Gbps... similar to the fastest PCI-express (Edit fastest PCI-express is about 250 Gbps... so T3 is off by about 6x which should be fine for a single graphics card)

3. This is enough to do 5k with this monitor setup because it will communicate with the graphics card in the monitor using PCI-Express over Thunderbolt and the graphics card will output the 5k resolution to the monitor directly (just like it does in the 5k iMac)

4. Using this solution Macs will not be limited by the fact that the thunderbolt "display" bandwidth is not enough to do 5k. It's sidestepping this by outputting to a graphics card that's embedded in the monitor.

each PCI e 3.0 lane is 1GB/s

Tunderbolt 3 is equivalent to 5 PCIe 3.0 Lanes ONLY

you need 8 Lanes at least to take full advantage of high end GPU cards.

They can use 2 thunderbolt 3 cables for this but I dont think they will make All there machines with 2 thunderbolt 3

their best solution is pin to pin 8x cable and Plug, and leave the Thunderbolt 3 for storage and multi display

Reactions: SteveW928

Derived

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
Midwest
Having gone through several MBP generations with TB1/2 they were pretty much stillborn to begin with. I haven't seen such underused/overhyped expansion port since the IBM MCA...
Only a handful of late-to-market, over-priced products have been made available :/

What? Are you completely unaware of the large selection of thunderbolt storage devices available? Along with other external accessories...

Osty

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne, AU
I should have made myself clear in my post. I meant specifically the 15" MacBook Pro.

But, after reading another persons post on here about better and better iGPUs every year, I might just have to take my words back. I completely forgot the pretty great advancements in iGPUs as of late. So certainly anything is possible.

And speaking of the 13" MBP, I never really did quite take the Pro moniker that seriously.

Fair enough, I think we're on the same page :)

You know, we already had good iGPUs from Nvidia before Intel started preventing them being shipped with their Core-i products. The 320m in my wife's 2010 Macbook Air is still a competitive chipset against the **** Intel put out right through Sandy Bridge to Haswell. Intel's stuff is just adequate to push the number of pixel Apple puts in their retina displays. For GPU-based compute, rendering and 3D, they suck.
[doublepost=1464913890][/doublepost]
EACH INTEL CPU has 16 lanes that are wasted in ALL APPLE Products

Careful mate, if they read this nugget and work out they're using tones of stuff we don't need we'll have Ax chips in our Macs faster than you can say "what happened to my G5 Powerbook?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Icaras

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
And since gamers are a very small minority among Mac users that is a rather moot point. Many more Mac users will enjoy the extra working space of a nominal 2560 x 1440 pixel workspace compared to the 1920 x 1080 working space compared to those that would enjoy the faster performance of the lower resolution screen. Why should Apple release something that is preferred by only a minority of its users?

It's funny how so man Mac users DON'T CARE if the Mac never has a gaming market. Just let Microsoft have it. Mac users aren't fun. We don't like to game. We just do Facebook and use worthless apps like Apple Photos, Apple Mail and Apple Safari. We don't need any 3rd party Apps, let alone games. We love the fact we pay 2-3x more for the same exact hardware. We don't need 3rd party hardware! Apple DESERVES our money! We can't wait to pay them $2500 for an $800 computer! (because OS X is so worth the extra $1300 these days, slow and buggy as hell as it has become, let alone uglified by Jony).

And people wonder why Windows users make fun of Mac users.... :rolleyes:

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
It's funny how so man Mac users DON'T CARE if the Mac never has a gaming market. Just let Microsoft have it. Mac users aren't fun. We don't like to game. We just do Facebook and use worthless apps like Apple Photos, Apple Mail and Apple Safari. We don't need any 3rd party Apps, let alone games. We love the fact we pay 2-3x more for the same exact hardware. We don't need 3rd party hardware! Apple DESERVES our money! We can't wait to pay them $2500 for an $800 computer! (because OS X is so worth the extra $1300 these days, slow and buggy as hell as it has become, let alone uglified by Jony).

Well - many of us DO use Macs primarily for work purposes... and there are so many other ways to play games these days: iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, PS4, XBox... that many people don't see the need to push gaming on Macs.

Personally, I don't care if I can game in OSX... I just have Windows installed on one of my Macs for when a game comes out that I really want to play with a mouse and keyboard. Works great.

99% of the time that Mac stays in OSX... and I use it to "get stuff done".

The rest of your comment is just garbage. There is no $2500 Mac that is equivalent of a $800 Windows PC.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
It's funny how so man Mac users DON'T CARE if the Mac never has a gaming market. Just let Microsoft have it. Mac users aren't fun.
Apple decides to release a new monitor: Should it (a) release one that 90% of its customers would prefer or (b) one that non-Mac gamers would prefer?

This is not about whether Apple should release hardware suitable for high-end gaming. Releasing a 4K instead of 5K monitor will hardly cause any gamers to switch to Macs. Most Mac users with external displays already use non-Apple monitors. Apple releasing its own 4K monitor will do squat for gamers, they already have many third-party 4K monitors to choose from. Do you really think that Apple releasing a 4K monitor would draw any significant number of new gamers to the Mac?

If we were talking about graphic cards, then what Apple releases matters for gamers as there is almost no way to add a better graphic card to Macs. What you are asking is a bit like saying the iPod touch should have gotten a retina screen before the iPhone because kids (or other people preferring the iPod touch) weren't catered to well enough by a lack of iPod touch updates.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Apple is very particular about who they target with the Mac, which was probably the creative market. These are the people who need a good PC for things like editing photos and videos and that it isn't a great gaming rig isn't really on their list of top priorities.

My 2011 iMac has outlasted my last 2 Windows desktops combined, so yes, it has more than paid for itself in the form of fewer problems. Let the Windows users make fun of me all they want. I have never had a better computing experience and that's really all that matters to me.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Well - many of us DO use Macs primarily for work purposes... and there are so many other ways to play games these days: iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, PS4, XBox... that many people don't see the need to push gaming on Macs.

Gaming on iOS and Apple is a JOKE. You're kidding yourself if you think that is acceptable.

Personally, I don't care if I can game in OSX... I just have Windows installed on one of my Macs for when a game comes out that I really want to play with a mouse and keyboard. Works great.

Two problems. One is that you have to buy and use god-awful Windows 10 (spyware galore in Win10, which is acting like Malware these days installing itself on people's computers without their explicit consent so even if you have Windows 8, good luck keeping it).

Two is that Windows does not and cannot make your POS GPU any better than the silicon die it's cast on. Mac GPUs are SO weak that there isn't a single Mac that is capable of handling virtual reality. Macs may often come first when it comes to CPUs from Intel, but WTF do you need the fastest CPU for these days? I admit Apple is doing their best to make OS X slow as molasses, particularly with older spinning hard drives (HUGE slow down since Mavericks for NO REASON WHAT-SO-EVER other than planned obsolescence) but this idea of having the best CPUs in an era where GPUs are what really matter is ridiculous. But then you think playing Angry Birds on your iPhone is "gaming" so WTF cares what you think.

99% of the time that Mac stays in OSX... and I use it to "get stuff done".

Wow. You updated your Facebook page and tweeted about lunch? Yeah, that's impressive. :D

The rest of your comment is just garbage. There is no $2500 Mac that is equivalent of a $800 Windows PC.

You're right. A typical $800 PC is BETTER than a POS iMac with a SLOOOOW mobile GPU in an unreasonably thin (for no reason) case that cannot handle heat dissipation for 5K use (try that Windows "game" on it and listen to the fans ROAR). Or even compare it to the Mac Pro since it's now hopelessly outdated to where a well chosen $800 PC could give the base model a run for its money in most areas. Sorry, but that's the TRUTH. I gather you can't handle the truth or you wouldn't need to call it garbage.

Frankly, your views on computers are so typical of the Apple "kool-aid" on these forums by people who think a power computer is an overpriced phone (which is funny since the $48 Lumia 640 is 1/10 the cost of an iPhone 5 and just as powerful. If Microsoft weren't as inept with mobile software as Apple is with desktop hardware, it would be quite the deal. But hey, your Facebook drama is calling your name. Better put that $2500 Mac to good use doing something $300 PC can do probably a 1990s Amiga 4000 with a few upgrades. ;)

Apple decides to release a new monitor: Should it (a) release one that 90% of its customers would prefer or (b) one that non-Mac gamers would prefer?

So you're saying non-gamers would prefer to have SLOOOOOOOOWWW graphics at 5K for EVERYTHING but web pages than having a system that can actually manage to move the pixels when asked to? Or do you actually believe that only gaming requires a decent GPU? If so, I suggest taking a 1980s beginner class on computer graphics. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Really, there is nothing else worth saying about such a ridiculous comment from someone that is trying to look smart putting down gaming by stating things that are just plain absurd.

Apple is very particular about who they target with the Mac, which was probably the creative market. These are the people who need a good PC for things like editing photos and videos and that it isn't a great gaming rig isn't really on their list of top priorities.

WTF is the "creative market" ??? They already tossed the Pro "creative" markets when they released Final Cut X and the new Mac Pro (that ignores Pro needs and caters to consumer video editing only). Frankly, I find your comment ludicrous. A good computer is a good computer. A slow GPU is bad news even if you don't play any games these days. Apple is still pushing solid state hard drives in several of its models while the OS has suddenly slowed for spinning hard drive use for no apparent reason since Yosemite was released (and never improved since). I mean I've heard this "Mac users don't game" argument for a decade now and it's bullcrap nonsense. A LOT of Mac users game with their Macs. Sadly, they often have to play 2 year old games because their brand new computer has a slow POS GPU for no good reason what-so-ever. That's right. Apple could easily build an iMac suited to gaming (even if you have to boot into Windows to do it) and it wouldn't cost more than any other "option" they've offered over the years (like an i7 instead of an i5) because a "good" GPU doesn't cost that much ($300 at most) and if they weren't so INSANE about making things THIN that don't NEED to be thin (like desktops where it doesn't matter if it's 1mm thick or 5 inches thick) it wouldn't be an issue. They're BAD DESIGNS. PERIOD.
But keep putting out that big money for a slower GPU than a stock Windows machine at Best Buy has. It won't save Apple's stock from continuing to tank over then next few years.

People should just admit the truth. Apple's hardware sucks these days. They've purposely gone out of their way to make every single model more and more impossible to do even the most mundane of upgrades (e.g. larger, faster hard drive) for no reason other than planned obsolescence (witness the nice 2012 Mac Mini design turned into a POS with purposely PITA access and no i7 or quad-core option when the 2012 design was great. There is NO GOOD REASON to turn that computer into a POS other than to try and force people to buy a more expensive model, even though most people don't need more monitors that are thrown out when they still work fine; i.e. the iMac) and exactly ZERO other headless models to choose from (other than the non-consumer massively overpriced Mac Pro that is already hopelessly outdated).

Ah, but Apple fanatics can never admit Apple makes bad engineering decisions. They can never admit they're overpriced. They can never admit iTunes is a mess and Photos (sad substitute for either iPhotos or Aperture) doesn't even show a busy indicator as it SLOWLY turns internally, that Final Cut Pro X is still inferior to Final Cut Pro, etc. etc. Apple has spent all its efforts into pushing PHONES (overpriced ones that have buggy as hell iOS releases in recent years) and a watch no one cares about. No wonder their stock is starting to drop like a stone.

The sad thing is Apple could turn things around, but they don't CARE because Macs are just Jony Ive's "play thing" to try and put his mark on it so that anything Scott Forestall did is erased (no matter how bad the replacement GUI or how buggy it is). Apple only cares about phones these days, but the sad fact is they are continuing to lose ground to Android (just like with Microsoft Windows in the 1990s) because they never learned a DAMN THING from their own history. They purposely withhhold new features so they can sell you it in a phone two versions from now and the competition just keeps passing them by. Yeah, they made more money because they had no competition for the hardware or software the iPhone runs, but even so they are still losing ground. And when that market share drops below 10% (like the Mac did so long ago), watch out. Not even all the king's horses and all the king's men will be able to put Apple back at the top again.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
why? Cause you decided that people do not game on macs? and therefore consider it moot?

Gaming, be it on consoles, phones, laptops , desktops , iPads etc is a huge pastime for many people .

let me guess, you do not game , and therefore see the iMac 5K as a professional machine ? It's actually suppose to be a jack of all trades , always has been . An iMac should be a great tool for the entire family.

I'm not talking hardcore PC gamers, I'm talking people who enjoy playing games at adequate performance levels.

Time to wake up. People like yourself who edit 4K content etc, are the minority these days. The pro user is becoming the minority for Apple. The casual gamer is actually a huge money maker . Apple "pro" machines will be gone soon...id say the Mac Pro is dead this year, high spec iMac will follow soon. Welcome to Tim Cook Apple

Apple has never catered to gamers and probably never will. Look at the decades of Macs. Gamers will build a Windows machine instead.

Gaming on iOS and Apple is a JOKE. You're kidding yourself if you think that is acceptable.

Two problems. One is that you have to buy and use god-awful Windows 10 (spyware galore in Win10, which is acting like Malware these days installing itself on people's computers without their explicit consent so even if you have Windows 8, good luck keeping it).

Two is that Windows does not and cannot make your POS GPU any better than the silicon die it's cast on. Mac GPUs are SO weak that there isn't a single Mac that is capable of handling virtual reality. Macs may often come first when it comes to CPUs from Intel, but WTF do you need the fastest CPU for these days? I admit Apple is doing their best to make OS X slow as molasses, particularly with older spinning hard drives (HUGE slow down since Mavericks for NO REASON WHAT-SO-EVER other than planned obsolescence) but this idea of having the best CPUs in an era where GPUs are what really matter is ridiculous. But then you think playing Angry Birds on your iPhone is "gaming" so WTF cares what you think.

Wow. You updated your Facebook page and tweeted about lunch? Yeah, that's impressive. :D

You're right. A typical $800 PC is BETTER than a POS iMac with a SLOOOOW mobile GPU in an unreasonably thin (for no reason) case that cannot handle heat dissipation for 5K use (try that Windows "game" on it and listen to the fans ROAR). Or even compare it to the Mac Pro since it's now hopelessly outdated to where a well chosen $800 PC could give the base model a run for its money in most areas. Sorry, but that's the TRUTH. I gather you can't handle the truth or you wouldn't need to call it garbage.

Frankly, your views on computers are so typical of the Apple "kool-aid" on these forums by people who think a power computer is an overpriced phone (which is funny since the $48 Lumia 640 is 1/10 the cost of an iPhone 5 and just as powerful. If Microsoft weren't as inept with mobile software as Apple is with desktop hardware, it would be quite the deal. But hey, your Facebook drama is calling your name. Better put that $2500 Mac to good use doing something $300 PC can do probably a 1990s Amiga 4000 with a few upgrades. ;)

So you're saying non-gamers would prefer to have SLOOOOOOOOWWW graphics at 5K for EVERYTHING but web pages than having a system that can actually manage to move the pixels when asked to? Or do you actually believe that only gaming requires a decent GPU? If so, I suggest taking a 1980s beginner class on computer graphics. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Really, there is nothing else worth saying about such a ridiculous comment from someone that is trying to look smart putting down gaming by stating things that are just plain absurd.

WTF is the "creative market" ??? They already tossed the Pro "creative" markets when they released Final Cut X and the new Mac Pro (that ignores Pro needs and caters to consumer video editing only). Frankly, I find your comment ludicrous. A good computer is a good computer. A slow GPU is bad news even if you don't play any games these days. Apple is still pushing solid state hard drives in several of its models while the OS has suddenly slowed for spinning hard drive use for no apparent reason since Yosemite was released (and never improved since). I mean I've heard this "Mac users don't game" argument for a decade now and it's bullcrap nonsense. A LOT of Mac users game with their Macs. Sadly, they often have to play 2 year old games because their brand new computer has a slow POS GPU for no good reason what-so-ever. That's right. Apple could easily build an iMac suited to gaming (even if you have to boot into Windows to do it) and it wouldn't cost more than any other "option" they've offered over the years (like an i7 instead of an i5) because a "good" GPU doesn't cost that much ($300 at most) and if they weren't so INSANE about making things THIN that don't NEED to be thin (like desktops where it doesn't matter if it's 1mm thick or 5 inches thick) it wouldn't be an issue. They're BAD DESIGNS. PERIOD.
But keep putting out that big money for a slower GPU than a stock Windows machine at Best Buy has. It won't save Apple's stock from continuing to tank over then next few years.

People should just admit the truth. Apple's hardware sucks these days. They've purposely gone out of their way to make every single model more and more impossible to do even the most mundane of upgrades (e.g. larger, faster hard drive) for no reason other than planned obsolescence (witness the nice 2012 Mac Mini design turned into a POS with purposely PITA access and no i7 or quad-core option when the 2012 design was great. There is NO GOOD REASON to turn that computer into a POS other than to try and force people to buy a more expensive model, even though most people don't need more monitors that are thrown out when they still work fine; i.e. the iMac) and exactly ZERO other headless models to choose from (other than the non-consumer massively overpriced Mac Pro that is already hopelessly outdated).

Ah, but Apple fanatics can never admit Apple makes bad engineering decisions. They can never admit they're overpriced. They can never admit iTunes is a mess and Photos (sad substitute for either iPhotos or Aperture) doesn't even show a busy indicator as it SLOWLY turns internally, that Final Cut Pro X is still inferior to Final Cut Pro, etc. etc. Apple has spent all its efforts into pushing PHONES (overpriced ones that have buggy as hell iOS releases in recent years) and a watch no one cares about. No wonder their stock is starting to drop like a stone.

The sad thing is Apple could turn things around, but they don't CARE because Macs are just Jony Ive's "play thing" to try and put his mark on it so that anything Scott Forestall did is erased (no matter how bad the replacement GUI or how buggy it is). Apple only cares about phones these days, but the sad fact is they are continuing to lose ground to Android (just like with Microsoft Windows in the 1990s) because they never learned a DAMN THING from their own history. They purposely withhhold new features so they can sell you it in a phone two versions from now and the competition just keeps passing them by. Yeah, they made more money because they had no competition for the hardware or software the iPhone runs, but even so they are still losing ground. And when that market share drops below 10% (like the Mac did so long ago), watch out. Not even all the king's horses and all the king's men will be able to put Apple back at the top again.

The creative market includes those that work with audio, video, graphics, photos, etc. Final Cut is actually vastly superior to Premiere when it comes to performance. A big reason MKBDHD switched to Final Cut.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
So you're saying non-gamers would prefer to have SLOOOOOOOOWWW graphics at 5K for EVERYTHING but web pages than having a system that can actually manage to move the pixels when asked to?
In favour of having close to twice the working space? Yes, absolutely. Tons of people are very happy with their iMac 5K. I am running a 2K monitor with an Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Ivy Bridge generation) and it does just fine for HD movies or editing in Aperture.

And again, Apple isn't stopping anybody who has different preferences to get a third-party 4K monitor. My point is that a clear majority of existing Mac users would prefer a 5K 27" monitor to a 4K 27" monitor. Apple offering a 4K monitor will hardly attract new people to the Mac. People don't switch to Macs just because they now could get an external 4K monitor from Apple.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Apple has never catered to gamers and probably never will. Look at the decades of Macs. Gamers will build a Windows machine instead.
Agreed. It has never catered for the dedicated gamer, though it's making strides for the casual gamer. The new atv4 is a new direction Apple is taking, as it recognised there is big money to be made in game apps. Apple will never make a hardcore gaming machine , though traditionally macs have had the hardware to be adequate gaming machines. The 5K iMac, cannot game in its native resolution like precious macs have been able to

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008

Ummm... reading comprehension. I gave a spectrum of devices that included a PS4 and an XBox. All kinds of games in this world... some that are really fun don't require an Oculus Rift and a huge PC.

A typical $800 PC is BETTER than a POS iMac with a SLOOOOW mobile GPU in an unreasonably thin (for no reason) case that cannot handle heat dissipation for 5K use (try that Windows "game" on it and listen to the fans ROAR). Or even compare it to the Mac Pro since it's now hopelessly outdated to where a well chosen $800 PC could give the base model a run for its money in most areas.

I should know better than to feed an obvious troll throwing around ad-hominem attacks... but you are so pompous I can't help myself...

I own 3 of the cylinder Mac Pros. They spin on compile and scientific compute jobs all day. There are no $800 professional workstation PCs with 12-core Xeon processors, 64GB of registered memory with dual 6GB of RAM graphics cards and 1TB PCI-express connected SSDs.

Real professionals use professional machines. If you would like to compare a PC make sure you actually pick a professional workstation.

For instance, I have several BOXX workstations as well. Go here: http://www.boxx.com/products/workstations and price out an "APEXX 4 7601"... it's fairly similar to a cylinder Mac Pro. Put in a 12 core processor, 64GB of RAM, Dual AMD FirePro Graphics cards (they only offer ones with 4GB of RAM, but good enough), 1TB SSD: $9,469

Now do the same for a cylinder Mac Pro: $9,697. Looks pretty competitive for me (although, I will give you that currently the Xeons in the Mac Pro are out of date... I expect that to be cleared up pretty soon and that is definitely a lapse on Apple's side).

As always with people trolling Apple hardware prices they always fail to actually compare like-for-like hardware.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
And again, Apple isn't stopping anybody who has different preferences to get a third-party 4K monitor. My point is that a clear majority of existing Mac users would prefer a 5K 27" monitor to a 4K 27" monitor. Apple offering a 4K monitor will hardly attract new people to the Mac. People don't switch to Macs just because they now could get an external 4K monitor from Apple.

I've never talked about a 4K monitor. I was talking about having a graphics card in a 5K Thunderbolt monitor or preferably a removable/replaceable one. I don't care if someone else offers it. 4K would do just fine as well. The point is that a Mac COULD be capable of being a good, if not great gaming machine if Apple would just offer ONE Mac with a high-end GPU. In the past, if you were willing to pay through the nose, you could make the previous generation Mac Pros game-worthy (even if you had to boot to Windows) and thus keep only ONE computer.

Personally, while I don't like the new "spyware" aspect of Windows 10 (it's downright Malware the way its taking over Win7/8 machines without permission), I could deal with booting into it just for gaming on a Mac. I don't desire to have to buy/own TWO separate computers just to game. It's not just a matter of money, but taking up valuable desk/room space for something that could easily exist in ONE computer, especially with dual-boot capability. Since you cannot buy a PC for this (short of Hackintosh building), that's why it would be nice if Apple could offer a Mac where you could at least upgrade to a decent GPU.

So for originally giving my opinion that Mac users have always been quick to give up the gaming market to PCs for reasons usually simply amount to, "Apple doesn't care about it so I don't either! Hrrrmmph!" I get the usual barrage of such responses and now even a "troll" claim, even though I've been here for 9 years and use nothing but a Mac 99% of the time (even for most games, albeit a year or two old or more). I'd simply like an option to pay more for a decent GPU or be able to upgrade to one via Thunderbolt III. In fact, Thunderbolt III offers the prospect of buying a Macbook Pro instead of a desktop and having a dock (whether in a separate box or in a monitor) with a GPU in it capable of decent 4K gaming (again, you might need Windows for some games, although METAL was supposed to offer an API that finally rivaled DirectX, but I have yet to see a single OS X game make use of it to any proven effect yet).

As for iOS, the iPhone was NEVER supposed to be a gaming device, but oddly it is often used as such now, which is odd since people keep saying Apple users don't game. I take issue with the statement. I see a lot of other people gaming with Macs on Steam. They make do with lower resolutions or older games. I simply find it RIDICULOUS that should be the case when it would be SO EASY for Apple to offer something like a Mac Mini with a high-end GPU and better ventilation for around $1200-1500. It would be portable and powerful. You might even get some Windows gamer sales for the portability if it had a good enough GPU. Given the sheer lack of effort (almost zero) it would take on Apple's part to offer it and the good use it could make of Metal and Boot Camp alike, it simply amazes me Apple can't be bothered to offer such a machine. They seem to be afraid everyone would buy that instead of a $2500 iMac that can't game well for no other reason than they refuse to make it thick enough to offer enough ventilation for a gaming card that might get a bit warmer than a cheap mobile GPU. Given the iMac is also unreasonably thin already, it wouldn't look any worse than an iMac from a few generations ago and would blow away the current 5k offering.

NO! The zealots scream! Mac users don't CARE about gaming! Speak for yourself. I've been a Mac user for a decade now. I still game and care about gaming and I'm now over 40. People game. Get over it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.