Apple’s diversity chief Denise Young Smith apologizes for telling the truth

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

This is just sad. She didn’t say anything that wasn’t true. I wonder who made her apologize. I didn’t realize Apple employees were such snowflakes that can’t handle somoneome saying white men have diverse opinions too.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17...ogizes-to-staff-for-statements-made-at-summit

At the One Young World Summit in Bogota, Colombia, last week, Smith joined Black Lives Matter activist DeRay Mckesson and KPMG International's Global Head of Corporate Citizenship Lord Michael Hastings on stage in a panel discussion covering racial injustice. Moderated by Quartz reporter Aamna Mohdin, the session focused on the broader implications of diversity in the workplace.

Smith provided key insight into the subject from the standpoint of a technology industry insider. Apple, Google and other major Silicon Valley firms have in recent months come under fire from investors and activists alike for an acute lack of diversity, especially in upper management and leadership positions.

"Diversity is the human experience," Smith said. "I get a little bit frustrated when diversity or the term diversity is tagged to the people of color, or the women, or the LGBT."

That particular comment went over well with the assembled crowd, but Smith caught flak for a follow up.

"There can be 12 white blue-eyed blonde men in a room and they are going to be diverse too because they're going to bring a different life experience and life perspective to the conversation," Smith said

2. Phonephreak macrumors 6502a

Phonephreak

Quick fire her. Apple can’t be seen as racist.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Funny that the comment that went over well with the crowd lines up exactly with the second comment.

Diversity in technology should be either in what technology you are interested in or what unique perspective you can bring to a problem domain.

4. zin macrumors 6502

Wow, 54% of new Apple hires are ethnic minorities. I refuse to believe that is only a result of proactive recruitment.

You can tell there’s an internal quota at Apple, and it must be why their quality control has went downhill. They’re not hiring based on merit alone.

5. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Or maybe because the top white applicants are outperformed by the top asian one when it comes to tech jobs.

6. zin macrumors 6502

Then there must be another reason for the decline in quality control.

7. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

8. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

What’s the diversity of coal mines and Wall St? Seems to me liberals are being victims of thier own grandstanding. It’s sort of like white people on welfare who don’t feel they are part of the taker problem.

9. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

There was no need to apologize. Her statements line up with each other, it's rational as well since her first statement is about how diversity isn't limited to only colored people, women, and the LGBT. So her follow up example had to include someone that wasn't part of those three groups, as well as be specific enough to emphasis the point that diversity exists in our thought process as well.

10. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

I believe also the clarification of that is that those hires are mostly in their retail & sales. Not in management, tech, or for some reason :rolleyes: quality control. Can those employees rise up to tech & management positions? Yes. But let's not pretend Apple just changed over night to satisfy a gripe.

Retail wise with Apple opening stores in even more locations aggressively it would make sense that their hires would become more & more diverse. Proactively or not, it also makes sense to attract the greatest number of sales.

I was in the Grand Central Station Apple store last weekend and tourists from all over the world stop by that one. There was one gentleman who didn't speak english, but no problem, the store had an employee that spoke his language to help him out.

Unnecessary factoid: One of the techs was explaining to me that technically the GCS store is the biggest in the world. I did not know that or could see it, because the store is in sections. Hmm... Sorry drifted.

The point people were making is that yes 12 blonde white males will have diverse thoughts & opinions, but it will all be from the prospective of a blonde white male presumably American. That hardly makes them consciously aware of the concerns of a young woman PoC or not. You're looking at diversity in the most starkest of terms. With your approach if the board of Apple was composed of all the main character's clones from Orphan Black, Apple would meet your criteria for diversity. You'd then turn around and moan that they discriminate against men.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 14, 2017 ---
    The point is it isn't limited to, but it also does NOT exclude. You can't claim you're truly diverse in a global or societal sense if it's from only one set group of individuals.

11. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Doubt it. Almost every case where something IT is outsourced to China it ends up being pure garbage. Our medium sized company tried t and the results were pretty bad.

12. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

"top asian" as in US citizens/legal residents with asian ethnic background not as in Foxcom style call center worker......

13. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

Absolutely agree. Thank you for that fantastic point.

14. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

I think you maybe completely misunderstanding my point.

15. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

Personally I'm convinced their quality control has lapsed because they need someone like Scott Forstall in there expecting perfection and kicking ass when he doesn't get it.

16. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Right because Apple never had issues while Scott Forstall was working there. :rolleyes: iOS 2 was worse than any version of iOS from 7-11.

17. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Consider that regardless of how they start the day, all coal miners are black by the end of the work day.

18. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Ever more complex and very tiny ways of stuffing extremely high tech into tiny boxes?

The only thing that matters to me on that score is whether they make good on a dud that made it through the QC process, and so far I've only experienced two. Apple made good on them both immediately.

If you want a job with Apple, go apply for it. If you get the job, great, enjoy. If you don't get the job and feel you were overlooked because of your skin color, take it to court. If you win, you can buy competitors' gear out of spite if you like.

Otherwise why not let Apple and its potential applicants duke this issue out. After all, no one's saying we must be any particular color as consumers of Apple's goods. I bet I'm like a lot of Apple customers. My focus is on their consumer goods and while those still please me, I'm their customer. I don't really want a job at Apple, and I'm not really afraid if I applied for one they'd reject me for being white. Being cantankerous might disqualify me though. Attitude can be everything. Even when one is white...

19. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

So absurd. As a white blue-eyed blond man myself, I find it irksome that a mention in a positive light is seen as some kind of underhanded racist statement.

I read a recent New Yorker article about some of the contradictions and pitfalls of "diversity". The article stated how, in regard to diversity in college admissions, the concept of "diversity" was difficult to define:

"The prevailing wisdom seemed to be that 'racial minorities' were 'culturally distinct from but culturally equivalent to white people.' (The cultural differences were considered real enough to make diversity valuable but not real enough to explain, say, disparities in academic achievement.)"

Another contradiction mentioned is that minorities value color-blindness until it seems to work against them. Color-blindness is fine until Asians start to be over-represented in college admissions, for example.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/10/09/the-limits-of-diversity

I'm never going to see "racial preferences" in admissions or hiring as anything other than discrimination under another name.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think she clearly said something that wasn’t true.
    They will be diverse because no two people are exactly alike. But by that measure, identical twins qualify as being diverse, as each doesn’t experience life exactly the same way as their sibling has.

But under even the most basic assessments, 12 blue-eyed, blonde men do not make up a diverse group, if only because that excludes women, who make up over 50% the human population.

21. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

So which kind of diversity are you looking for? Diversity of perspective, or aesthetic diversity? Not that the two are mutually exclusive, but one doesn't have to have an arrangement of aesthetics to still have diversity.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Obviously it’s diversity of perspective.

And shutting out over half of the world limits that perspective.

23. MachCrit Suspended

MachCrit

She was obviously speaking of diversity in thought, experience and talent. That is immediately attacked by narrow minded people who see themselves as progressive and open minded, while in objective reality, they only see the external facade of a person.

24. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

So diversity is good, but only a specific kind of diversity.

25. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Oh for heaven's sake, speculate in the absence of evidence much? Or is my sarcasm detector failing again?