Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
i wonder why Apple has stopped making covers in vibrant colours?

I hate the dreary charcoal, boring white and that anaemic pink sand!

Why did they think people who bought 12.9 iPad Pro would only want charcoal or white (unless they bought leather). Is that what Pro means ... a colourless world?

It seriously puts me off buying a new iPad. And they’ve run down production of smart covers for last gen iPads to almost nothing.

So I’m sticking with my beautiful purple cover on 10.5, and the just acquired midnight blue leather for 12.9.

And if this continues ... charcoal, white, pink sand .... I will be looking at third party offerings.

But why are Apple doing this?

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Completely agree, and the new iPad pro covers don't even get an Apple logo. I ended up using a gold apple sticker from my MBA just to break it up a little.

Maybe it is to emphasise that the Pros are "serious"?

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Seriously dull, in my opinion.
[doublepost=1548926930][/doublepost]It’s odd because so many artists and musicians buy the iPad Pro. People who usually like COLOUR! You’d think from Apple’s charcoal and white mentality the customers were mostly businessmen with black briefcases, or some crazy minimalist monochrome sect!

Reactions: RevTEG

Seed101

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
memries...
iMacs.jpg

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

Why did they think people who bought 12.9 iPad Pro would only want charcoal or white (unless they bought leather). Is that what Pro means ... a colourless world?

It seriously puts me off buying a new iPad. And they’ve run down production of smart covers for last gen iPads to almost nothing.

So I’m sticking with my beautiful purple cover on 10.5, and the just acquired midnight blue leather for 12.9.

And if this continues ... charcoal, white, pink sand .... I will be looking at third party offerings.

I’m sure it has to do with demand.

There are plenty of 3rd party offerings to choose from.

Reactions: Disconnect_00

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca

Us 12.9 users have been asking this question since launch in late 2015! Stuck with gray because the white gets so dirty. Both are boring. Even to old 10.5 had a few color choices. 12.9 users... no such luck.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Us 12.9 users have been asking this question since launch in late 2015! Stuck with gray because the white gets so dirty. Both are boring. Even to old 10.5 had a few color choices. 12.9 users... no such luck.

Yes, indeed. The 10.5 you could get a rose gold device with red leather cover for example. Now we are so limited.

CrystalQuest76

Suspended
Dec 14, 2015
West Cost A Lot
Completely agree, and the new iPad pro covers don't even get an Apple logo. I ended up using a gold apple sticker from my MBA just to break it up a little.
So you purposely want to advertise for a billion dollar company?
[doublepost=1548969618][/doublepost]
I’m sure they have shifted their color offerings towards what past sales numbers indicate users are going to purchase.
Yep, they are going to focus on the colors that are the most popular and reduce the number of choices so that they have a simpler logistic channel and less waste (which means more profit). If people want more color on their purchase just buy a sticker or cover.
[doublepost=1548969706][/doublepost]
It’s odd because so many artists and musicians buy the iPad Pro. People who usually like COLOUR!
Those artists create or buy unique stickers and covers. When they are bored with them they remove and replace with something different.

simplynando

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
I hated having to get the ugly Gray smart keyboard folio for my 11" iPP. I would have loved to get one in the nicer colors (like their iPhone silicone cases). I'm sure they went with one color because they are what has historically sold better, but still hoping they introduce new colors. For now, I've got a nice skin that I put over the outside of the keyboard that contrasts really nicely with the gray. Also, I like having the inside and keys gray. So I guess it worked out in my situation.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Apple's designs still stand out. Whether you see them in a movie or in advertising, they stand out. Color is great but I'm guessing they are allowing us and third party companies to do that. Grey is classic, it doesn't show its age. My Mac circa 2000 still looks new because its the same color as my iPhone & iPad.

Although I still love the look of those colorful iMacs and iPod nanos. The iPhone XR is a step and 5c were nice too. I would like more colors in the Smart Cover. I purchased a White smart cover that I want to paint. I'm just waiting for the right design to cover it with.

Reactions: LizKat

piblondin

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009

I just want black. No more space gray, please!

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Quite a few comments about weak magnets and smell. Did yours have this?

Nope, as strong as the Apple cover and no smell. Did the same test as I did with the Apple cover, dangled it I-as from the cover and gave it a shake, rock solid.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I agree the colors are dull, but this is a bit exaggerated don’t you think? ;)

Have to agree it's a bit exaggerated. But I could really go for a leather smart cover in colors that match the XS leather cases.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I don’t mind the silicone, would want it to match my blue XR :)

Yeah, I think it would be great to have a good set of colors in both silicone and leather, rather than expecting 3rd parties to reverse engineer the magnet setup.

I like the leather because there are usually some really nice options that say both "professional" and "personal" at the same time. They don't offer the Aubergine anymore which was my personal favorite, but the Forest Green and Midnight Blue are also good.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
It’s a really weird decision, but I’ve embraced stickers for both my folio and folio keyboard cover and am very pleased with the results. They also seem to help with reducing/hiding the fingerprints - the new cases are a magnet for them.

I was the last person who’d ever have thought about covering these things in stickers in the past but I guess times change!

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
There is the potential that Apple may introduce more "colorful" folios for spring. But it definitely was a bit of a bummer that there were only three colors to choose from when I bought my 11" IPP. I have the gray now and it is what it is since it does the job of protecting my iPad. But it certainly would be nice if Apple introduced more color choices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.