Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beer.coffee

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Ok, question. What does Microsoft do with its extra 58,000 employee's?

I have Vista, yet i fail to see any real difference between it and XP. Is this all they have been working on for the past five years? Sure, they have Office as well, but again it's just another reiteration of an old concept with a few extra add-on's like Vista.

Now compare it to Apple. New version of the OS X every few years, with features that are actually useful. It also has a constantly evolving line of hardware which is updated again very frequently.

So what exactly do these extra employee's do? I just dont get it....

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Microsoft are a far far bigger company serving many many more millions of people. They have many many more products to update and support.

:rolleyes:

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I think you underestimate--

1) What is required to create an OS that is backward compatible to legacy systems -- like DOS, Win 3.1, Win95, etc.

2) What is required in terms of sales and marketing for a company that works directly with many large multinationals, governments, universities and other institutions.

3) What is required to provide support for the operating system that is running on 9x% of the world's computers

4) What is required to create software and drivers to run on an open platform. Apple has a huge advantage in that it creates software for a closed platform of their own making.

beer.coffee

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Hey, i'm just a typical 22 year old consumer...I dont have any real knowledge about the computer industry at all.

To me Microsoft is just Windows and Office. I never knew Microsoft actually even provided support...any time that i have needed help with something i have always been linked to some online support page.

And from what I can see, Windows and Office havent changed a bit since Win98 and whatever office was back in '96.

I'm not a hater....just curious.

Slumbercub

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester, England
Not only that. I understand that Vista cost approximately $10billion and 5 years to develop. I am not being funny but with that sort of resources a company should be able to write an OS from scratch yet alone update an existing version with what is little more than a fancy new GUI and some bug fixes and still do a better job. :rolleyes:

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
There are many, may more products other than Office and Windows, especially in the enterprise market.

To say that nothing has changed from '98 or '96 is just plain ridiculous.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
they need an OS to work with ALL hardware, Apple needs an OS to work with only specific hardware. they have an OS with millions and millions of users, not to mention 10+ years of OS versions still getting minimal support, in a ton of different languages, in many, many various server and workstation forms. plus they have apps like Office, Visual Studio, Exchange, SQL Server, etc. factor in their gaming division, they make quite a few games. then there's the Xbox unit, the Zune unit, the Mac Business Unit, the group that makes keyboards and other hardware (getting back into making gaming peripherals I think). they have the Windows Mobile people, the Windows embedded people. the groups that work on the IPTV stuff. plus all their R&D folks working on future products we know nothing about. MS is a heck of a lot more than Windows and Office. they do so much more than Apple in the enterprise market. Apple is a small fish compared to the whale that is MS in terms of size and product line.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Hey, i'm just a typical 22 year old consumer...I dont have any real knowledge about the computer industry at all.

To me Microsoft is just Windows and Office. I never knew Microsoft actually even provided support...any time that i have needed help with something i have always been linked to some online support page.

And from what I can see, Windows and Office havent changed a bit since Win98 and whatever office was back in '96.

I'm not a hater....just curious.

Microsoft make at least the following products :

Office
Windows
Windows Server
SQL Server
E-mail Server
IIS
Visual Studio
Xbox 360
Shed loads of games
Windows Mobile
MSN and releted technologies
Hotmail
Zune

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Even if you're just taking the OS section of each business, the easy answer is that Windows in all its variants is developed in house by Microsoft, whereas OSX isn't completely an Apple product. OSX depends on many open source projects, the inclusion of each saving Apple form having to hire extra developers.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
Two words:
Ass covering.

they make clothing now.

anyways, I respect Microsoft they service 8x to 9x percent of all computers on the planet. They must have done some things right.

Apple hasn't done anything as gargantuan as vista since 9.x to OS X. they don't own giant search engine, they don't make a gaming console.

And I hate it when people say Vista was just a facelift of xp, its not there are a lot of new and updated code in there.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
they make clothing now.

Naw, they were making clothing in the day too. :)

216956348_31024e7c4d.jpg

MS does have many, many lines of business. And they do far more B2B work, which inherently requires more staff because of the customer-facing responsibilities that any supplier or technology provider incurs when dealing with large corporations. I'm not saying Apple's development team isn't more efficient (I think it is), but that's not the whole explanation of why MS has a workforce the size it does.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Well somebody's got to program that damn paperclip thing and all those annoying popup balloons... :rolleyes:

beer.coffee

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
And I hate it when people say Vista was just a facelift of xp, its not there are a lot of new and updated code in there.

I'm not trying to be a idiot here....but what is supposed to have changed? Our old XP machine seems to work better than the new one with Vista.

stoid

macrumors 601
it's not the 58,000 employee's that i worried about it's the Monkey running the show that scares me

Hey, no reason to bring the US government into this, we're talking about Microsoft.

The truth is that even with Apple's recent increase in products, they still are no where near the number of products and services Microsoft offers.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Hey, no reason to bring the US government into this, we're talking about Microsoft.
The sad thing is, Microsoft would probably be better run with a monkey in charge, since the law of averages means it'll make the occasional right decision. Ballmer is handicapped by believing he understands what the tech industry is about and where it's going, which he clearly doesn't.

seashellz

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2004
the answer is: 75% of MS software engineers are Chimpanzees!
Paid with banannas!

Thats the only explanation I can figure, when they have Billions in the bank, and practically more employees than there are troops in Iraq (dont get me started) yet they still come out with UNBELIEVABLY bad software that needs constant attending to, and is ever so vulnerable to outside attacks.

Hopefully, they get 2-15 min breaks a day for 'grooming'

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i've heard that there is a lot of poor management at microsoft, and with ballmer being their CEO i can see that. he seems rather unorganized himself.

but everyone is correct that Microsoft does have a lot of products. but i think apple does too. i just think the management is different at each.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.