Apple 2001 Studio Monitor - Fomac monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lindsayanng, Jul 12, 2009.

1. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I need some help.. I have a macbook pro from 2007, and I just popped into a tagsale and picked up one 2001 Mac Studio Monitor and a 2001 Fomac Gallery monitor.. So I was hoping to use the monitors with my laptop because the small screen on this laptop is KILLING me, and i'm not yet prepared (financially) to get a powermac.. Paid $10 for both of them..

my issue right now is, the monitor's cable doesnt match the input on my compuer. I need a ACD DVI clip cable.. Now, i looked them up and the price is $100! Call me naive, but i had no clue a connector cable would ever cost that much..

So basically, I am curious if there was a different option to get this to work with my computer OR if there is a place to get a used or "extra" cable

2. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

3. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

I just got a new MacPro and, in order to use my old Apple Cinema Display with ADC connector, I had to buy the Apple DVI to ADC adapter. I don't think anyone besides Apple ever made this adapter, so I think you're stuck. You might be better off selling the monitor (there are plenty of old Macs with ADC connectors) and buying a DVI monitor.

The reason these adapters are so expensive is that ADC carried not only video, but USB and power. Therefore, you don't just need an adapter, you need a power supply.