Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today quietly discontinued and replaced its 29W USB-C Power adapter with a new revised USB-C Power Adapter that offers 30W.

The 30W USB-C Power Adapter that's replacing the 29W version is designed for the 12-inch MacBook. It's also commonly used as an option for those who want faster charging for compatible iPhones and iPads that support fast USB-C charging speeds.

apple30wpoweradapter-800x441.jpg

It is not clear why Apple replaced the 29W Power Adapter with the new 30W Power Adapter, but the pricing remains the same at $49. The new accessory is not yet in Apple Stores, but can be ordered today for Wednesday delivery.

Apple has not tweaked its other USB-C Power Adapters designed for the MacBook Pro lineup, with those accessories continuing to be available in 61W and 87W options for 13 and 15-inch MacBook Pro models, respectively.

Article Link: Apple Replaces 29W USB-C Power Adapter With New 30W Version

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
You heard of this thing, the 29W Adapter?

Yeah, this is going to blow that right out of the water. Listen to this: 30. Watt Adapter.

Think about it. You walk into an Apple store, you see 29W Adapter sittin' there, there's 30W Adapter right beside it. Which one are you gonna pick, man?

venusboy

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
Can someone tell me what happens if you use the wrong Watt charger please? Could I fry the motherboard?

We have a MacBook and MacBook Pro in the house, both using USB-C and sometimes we get them mixed up.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
You heard of this thing, the 29W Adapter?

Yeah, this is going to blow that right out of the water. Listen to this: 30. Watt Adapter.

Think about it. You walk into an Apple store, you see 29W Adapter sittin' there, there's 30W Adapter right beside it. Which one are you gonna pick, man?
Unless, of course, somebody comes up with a 31 watt adapter. Then you're in trouble, huh?

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
Can someone tell me what happens if you use the wrong Watt charger please? Could I fry the motherboard?

We have a MacBook and MacBook Pro in the house, both using USB-C and sometimes we get them mixed up.

You can use as might wattage as you want, it’ll only draw what it needs. You can use a MabBook USB-C charger to charge an iPhone if you want.

Volts is what matters, though with USB chargers it’s negiciated anyway.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
The first-gen Apple USB-C adapters were not USB-PD compliant. In particular, they are missing 9V output, and thus cannot fast charge some Android USB-C phones. I wonder if this one adds it, in preparation for the next gen iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.