Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its investor relations page to note that it will announce its earnings for the fourth fiscal quarter (third calendar quarter) of 2016 on Thursday, October 27.

The earnings report will be an exciting one, as it will provide a look at early iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus sales. Apple has declined to release launch weekend sales for the two devices, making it difficult to determine how well the new phones have sold compared to the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus.

appleinvestornews-800x502.jpg

For the third quarter of 2016, Apple posted revenue of $42.5 billion and net quarterly profit of $7.8 billion, or $1.42 per diluted share. That was down from $49.6 billion in revenue, $10.7 billion in net quarterly profit, and $1.85 per diluted share in the year-ago quarter.

Apple's guidance for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2016 includes expected revenue of $45.5 to $47.5 billion and gross margin between 37.5 and 38 percent, well below the revenue of $51.5 billion it saw in 4Q 2015.

Apple will release its quarterly earnings statement at 1:30 p.m. Pacific Time (4:30 p.m. Eastern Time), with a conference call to follow at 2:00 p.m. Pacific Time (5:00 pm. Eastern Time). MacRumors will provide live coverage of the results and the call.

Article Link: Apple to Announce Q4 2016 Earnings Results on October 27

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
If you find yourself twiddling your thumbs, have a skim through some of the comments from the 'similar threads' at the bottom of this page.

You may be surprised how little the doom and gloom has changed from one quarterly report to the other.

Nr123*123

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2014
This is Apple's speciality now, profit reporting, not making great products but selling any product.

Case in point, look at the sheer number of variations you can have Apple products in.

iPhone SE (3 year old design with 3 colours and 2 storage options)
iPhone 6s (same again)
iPhone 6s Plus (same again)

Now you can have:

iPhone 7 (5 COLOURS - really be individual like the millions of other customers that bought it, even though you'll have to put a case on it because we haven't design it properly)

Also added a 256gb option and we'll overcharge for this. Simply because you cannot have the option to put in a £20 SD card.

iPhone 7 plus (same story)

The iPad line up is just as convuluted. Meanwhile the Mac lineup dwindles into the abyss.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I realize the whole PC market has stagnated, but it will be interesting to see if Mac sales continue to slide.
There was a slight uptick last quarter, but it's been a steady decline from a high of 5709 units (000) in Q4 2015, to 4252 units in Q3 2016.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
This is Apple's speciality now, profit reporting, not making great products but selling any product.

Case in point, look at the sheer number of variations you can have Apple products in.

iPhone SE (3 year old design with 3 colours and 2 storage options)
iPhone 6s (same again)
iPhone 6s Plus (same again)

Now you can have:

iPhone 7 (5 COLOURS - really be individual like the millions of other customers that bought it, even though you'll have to put a case on it because we haven't design it properly)

Also added a 256gb option and we'll overcharge for this. Simply because you cannot have the option to put in a £20 SD card.

iPhone 7 plus (same story)

The iPad line up is just as convuluted. Meanwhile the Mac lineup dwindles into the abyss.
And what do you think the profits represent, if not a representation of Apple making great products and consumers being willing to shell out the premium for them?

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
I think it's a good assumption Apple will release all their new products before earnings. So, if earnings is 10/27, then an event 10/24 is out of the question because it's too close (also, its a Monday).

We could have one 10/4, but that's highly doubtful given we've passed the invite range.

More likely is 10/12 (a Wednesday because of Columbus Day holiday in the US), or 10/18. If 10/18, and if it follows iPhone pre-order dates, we would have pre-orders on 10/21 for release on 10/28... one day after the earnings event.

So I'm putting my money on a 10/12 event. I know it's a lot of assumptions, but that's my guess and I'll stick to it until next week when/if it's proven wrong.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
1 mac, 1 MacBook, 1 iPhone, 1 iPad, keep it simple, put everything behind innovating these 4 products.

Variations are getting out of control.
[doublepost=1474933992][/doublepost]
I hope by this time apple would have announced refreshed Macbook Pros!

MacBook sales are going to be bleak if they don't soon, everyone is waiting for an update.

Reactions: Stella

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Who else here thinks that Apple should do the earnings reports like the they do the product announcements.

(Intro video with Tim, Jony, and Phil talking about all of the "great new things to come," and Pharrell Williams walks in. The room goes quiet. "What song are you working on?" "I can't talk about that now. I have an NDA with Helen and Rocket, but not you guys." Everyone laughs...)
Hello everyone! I am so excited to tell you about this quarter's earnings.
(graph pops up, starts at $1.43/share)
Our EPS are up (shows $1.45/share as a huge bar), and so are our earnings compared to 1999!
(continues on...)
And to conclude, for those in the room, there are some samples of the money that we earned. Take no more than two of them! Enjoy!
(Operator cuts in...)
"And now for the question and answer session. Please keep your questions to one, and one follow up. We have Jim Cramer from CNBC on"
(Tim whispering)
"Oh boy..."

Reactions: Woyzeck and thasan

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
I guess there won't be a macbook pro event before that date. I hope they do one asap I need to upgrade my mac.

Nr123*123

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2014
And what do you think the profits represent, if not a representation of Apple making great products and consumers being willing to shell out the premium for them?

It represents quantity sales. McDonald's sells lord knows how many burgers a day, do you consider it to be gourmet dining?

Apple is trying to sell the same product in different iterations. New colours, new storage options or small tweaks, etc. It's not good enough.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It represents quantity sales. McDonald's sells lord knows how many burgers a day, do you consider it to be gourmet dining?

Apple is trying to sell the same product in different iterations. New colours, new storage options or small tweaks, etc. It's not good enough.

Mac Donald's moves tons of burgers every day because of their comparatively low prices.

Apple sells a ton of hardware despite the premium pricing that they command over the rest of the competition.

So Apple has both quality and quantity on their side.

Reactions: Keane16 and thasan

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
Who else here thinks that Apple should do the earnings reports like the they do the product announcements.

(Intro video with Tim, Jony, and Phil talking about all of the "great new things to come," and Pharrell Williams walks in. The room goes quiet. "What song are you working on?" "I can't talk about that now. I have an NDA with Helen and Rocket, but not you guys." Everyone laughs...)
Hello everyone! I am so excited to tell you about this quarter's earnings.
(graph pops up, starts at $1.43/share)
Our EPS are up (shows $1.45/share as a huge bar), and so are our earnings compared to 1999!
(continues on...)
And to conclude, for those in the room, there are some samples of the money that we earned. Take no more than two of them! Enjoy!
(Operator cuts in...)
"And now for the question and answer session. Please keep your questions to one, and one follow up. We have Jim Cramer from CNBC on"
(Tim whispering)
"Oh boy..."

and Ive reporting how unapologetically thin the earning is in this quarter :p

Reactions: JeffyTheQuik

max.ine

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2016
I think it's a good assumption Apple will release all their new products before earnings. So, if earnings is 10/27, then an event 10/24 is out of the question because it's too close (also, its a Monday).

We could have one 10/4, but that's highly doubtful given we've passed the invite range.

More likely is 10/12 (a Wednesday because of Columbus Day holiday in the US), or 10/18. If 10/18, and if it follows iPhone pre-order dates, we would have pre-orders on 10/21 for release on 10/28... one day after the earnings event.

So I'm putting my money on a 10/12 event. I know it's a lot of assumptions, but that's my guess and I'll stick to it until next week when/if it's proven wrong.
I think there could still be a 10/4 event if and only if the event is announced today. Otherwise, I'd agree on it being 10/12.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Let me guess Tim

You can't comment on actual sales numbers but find you've received great enthusiasm from your customers and they love the iphone 7.

Isn't Apple one of the few companies that actually reports smartphone sales?

Apple is trying to sell the same product in different iterations. New colours, new storage options or small tweaks, etc.

New faster & more efficient SoC, new screens, new larger storage tier, IP67 rating, dual speakers, better cameras (front and back as well as new dual cameras on the Plus), bigger battery, new home button, improved haptics. Not to mentioned being underpinned by software that now uses artificial intelligence and machine learning whilst protecting privacy. The iPhone 7 is a solid update.

Having efficient magnetic resonance based charging is probably one thing I'd like (but I haven't ever seen that demo'd succefully). There's really not much else I want from the iPhone or iPad line. Micro-LED or OLED would be nice, but wouldn't change much for me day to day.

It's the software, particularly for the iPad that I'd like to see get some new features.

It's not good enough.

Maybe not for you, but it seems they are doing fine...

- Apple Watch - http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...action-outpaces-original-iphone-ipad---report
- iPhone (up 1 point from 2015 to 2016) - https://9to5mac.com/2016/06/01/american-customer-satisfaction-index-apple/
- iPad - http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...tion-study-with-microsoft-gaining-ground.html
-MacBooks - http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/macbook-leads-reliability-customer-satisfaction/

The fact that there are so many messages in this thread wanting a new MBP sums it up.

========================================

This earnings call will be interesting. Looking forward to seeing how Macs are doping with the lack of updates. And how the iPhone 7 has sold with the production issues and headphone jack removal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.