Apple about to lose a lot of UK customers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ItsWelshy, Aug 8, 2013.

1. ItsWelshy macrumors regular

Apple are about to lose a lot of iPhone customers in the UK, unless they release the iPhone 5S/6 fairly quickly.

Android are about to get a massive boost, as our two biggest networks are rolling out 4G on frequencies that Apple do not support, and they’re both offering free upgrades to a 4G compatible device.

4G rollout for both O2 and Vodafone is on the 29th August, and you can upgrade to a 4G compatible device now.

Think they need to get there iPhone announced ASAP.

2. Merkie macrumors 68020

I forwarded this to Tim Cook, thanks.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

4. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

3G and 4G is like night and day.

people may be "unaware", "skeptical", "confused" right now according to those polls but when it rolls out it will go viral. people won't buy it until they see it.

5. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I certainly won't be climbing over everybody to get 4G. I don't think its compatible on O2 with the iPhone 5 anyway, although I could be wrong?

I just don't see a need for a slightly faster data plan. My WiFi is fast and I can't really complain about the speed of my 3G to be quite honest. Paying £5 extra a month for a 4G plan that gets rinsed within a few days seems pointless. The CEO of Vodafone has said he doesn't think there is a 'need' for unlimited plans and in reality their is every need if they wish it to become popular.

I won't be getting 4G and I am not worrying about getting the next iPhone. The one I have is excellent. Considering how popular the iPhone 4S still is, I don't see a problem in the slightest either. :confused:

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Maybe, but most of us will have to wait a while before we get the chance to try it.

At first Vodafone's 4G will only be available in London and O2's in London, Leeds and Bradford. Also, the 4G plans on offer are attracting criticism because they are being stingy with their data allowances.

It's going to take while before coverage extends throughout the country and the operators get sensible with their plans. By then the next iPhone will be out and should be compatible the new 4G frequencies. I don't think Apple will lose a massive amount of sales to Android in the first couple of months.

7. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

the 4S will be very relevant for at least another year. easy. quality products stick around.

its main weakness compared to the rest will be its screen size if the trend for larger screens is established, but even after almost 2 years since its launch its specs are quite formidable. few other phones have such a good camera, for instance. or build quality, for that matter.

8. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

I've had 4G or LTE on EE on my iP5 for months now, how is this a problem?

9. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

EE is not O2 nor Vodafone.

apparently the frequency they intend to put their 4G in is the problem.

10. sim0n macrumors member

id rather have unlimited 3g than 4g with a limit and i'm on o2

11. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

The thing is, I reckon 75% of customers use under 0.5GB a month on 3G - some don't use data at all. They don't care what handset they use or what plan they're on; if they have an iPhone they'll stick with it.

Most just won't care enough to change their phone. Apple will be fine in the UK.

12. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

No, they're really not. 4G is indeed starting a rollout shortly but it's limited to a few cities (London on August 29th, more to come by the end of the year), carries a price premium and has practically no momentum or pent-up demand among non-geeks at the moment. Apple will launch the next iPhone somewhere between 1 week and two months (most likely somewhere in the middle) after the service launches and slot into any 4G offers that may be on the table. It won't affect Apple in any meaningful way.

13. shenfrey macrumors 68000

14. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

I expect that this is one of the reasons for the 5C - a lower spec iPhone but with greater compatibility with international 4G frequencies (Apple traditionally don't fiddle with components in older spec devices even if they could so bring the 5 into line is unlikely to happen).

O2 and Vodafone are hardly offering free upgrades to 4G - their iPhone price promise requires you to still pay off a sizeable chunk of your contract before they 'allow' you to commit to another contract.

I'm half tempted to migrate to EE anyway as they have a more mature network now and offer 4G at twice the speed that O2 and voda are rolling out.

Apple's timing is a little off, especially in a market that has always been strong for them. But the nature of the phone market is that people tend to be tied into contracts and they likely think that those desperate for cutting edge speeds have probably already gone with EE.

15. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Given how poor 4g is over here I doubt it. My 4s on three walks all over 5's on ee in terms of data connection.

16. daijholt, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013

daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

The networks over here pretty much bend to Apple's whim this time of the year, so I'm fairly confident we'll get the new iphone launch in the first week of September, right after O2 and Voda launch 4G. That way Apple can show their huge list of supported carriers, and O2 and Voda will be right up there beside EE.

17. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

There is very little interest in 4G from the majority of the public in the UK. I don't think a few months is really going to make much of a difference.

18. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

19. iPhonemaster5S macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

To be honest I don't get why that is. Is it because 4G is not completely rolled out or is the population fine with very slow 3G speeds? Besides if these carriers are giving free upgrades to a 4G device then whats the hesitation. If the plans are going up that's understandable but how much would they go up, substantially or just a little bit.

20. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I can't say my 3G speeds are 'very slow'. A couple of seconds to load a webpage isn't that much of a niggle that I would decide to spend an extra fiver or tenner a month for a couple of gig of 4G data.

If it is thrown in with my next contract then I will happily use it. In the mean time the speeds I am getting on 3G when out and about or WiFi at work and home are fast enough for me.

The fact they are only rolling the 4G coverage to major cities is what will make it slow to take off I would imagine. Not everybody lives in London, Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds etc etc. I live near and work in one of the UK's capital cities and its not even one of those chosen to receive it initially. On O2 at least.

21. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

This is exactly the issue. O2 and Vodafone aren't even launching in Wales this year, yet EE have already spread nearly 20 miles into the valleys from Cardiff, into our smaller city Newport and several towns, as well as dozens of towns and cities in England, Scotland and NI. If we could get the same kind of effort from all the networks the 4G race would actually get started.

22. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If 3G is fast enough to download a 1GB monthly data allowance in five minutes, how much benefit do you get from any faster download speed?

23. daijholt, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013

daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

The real benefits I've noticed is that web pages load everything instantaneously, with absolutely none of the content lagging behind as it loads. Granted you can burn data rapidly if you try, but you'd have to actually download a big file deliberately to do that.

At present EE are offering 20Gb allowance for £51 a month, which is more than a lot of home broadband packages.

24. cynics macrumors G4

Can someone answer a question for me since I'm in the states.

The current 3G is it HPSA+? If not is the 4G that's rolling out HPSA+ or LTE?

If you guys have access to HPSA+ currently I personally don't consider LTE a huge upgrade, not for a phone anyway. However if you guys normal 3G a jump to HPSA+ or LTE can be night and day.

I'm on Verizon here in the states and at my house 3G = .2 - .8 Mbps download, LTE = 5.0 = 15.0 Mbps download. It goes from nearly unusable to faster then I'd ever need on an iPhone. HPSA+ isn't as fast but still night and day compared to 3G.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you say so....