Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The Touch Bar earns its keep in Keynote. AFAIK there is no way to randomly jump from one slide to another while presenting without using the Touch Bar.
But you have to wonder how long it will be supported by the OS and apps since all the new redesigned macs don’t have it. Remember 3D Touch? Phones with that feature now have somewhat reduced functionality with newer iOS updates as Apple wanted to streamline the feature towards haptic touch on newer iPhones.

The minute Apple discontinue the 13” MacBook Pro, I have a feeling the Touch Bar will be deprecated from newer macOS.

MJaP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
If you or anyone you know has been affected by by this product a counseling service is available on 1-800-SPECKOFDUST

• Haha
Reactions: GalileoSeven

freedomlinux

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2008
CT, USA
They did, but the mistake Apple made was to restrict to the MBP. They never released an external keyboard with the Touch Bar
The fact that an external keyboard with Touchbar never appeared was, to me, a clear sign that it wasn't doing well. "Our Touch Bar is so awesome!", but...

Mac Mini? Can't have it
iMac / iMac Pro? Can't have it
Mac Pro? Can't have it
Laptop in a dock or clamshell mode? Can't have it

Aside from software developers having to support both, the idea that a user would have two different workflows if the MBP was docked or not is sub-optimal.

Reactions: James_C and anson42

freedomlinux

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2008
CT, USA
Wasn’t there also a patent for a keyboard that was essentially a large touchscreen where the keyboard would be?
You might be thinking of Optimus keyboards? At first they had an (absurdly expensive) keyboard in ~2007 where every key was an OLED screen, and then later had a model with a single big screen

Reactions: BanjoDudeAhoy

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I still have a 2019 TB MacBook Pro. I actually prefer the design over the newer models. I also like the touchbar. It isn't anything major but I like the control it offers with volume, brightness, and word correction. Its also pretty customizable when you download one of the third party software bundles for it. I understand those that need the physical function keys, I'm just not one of them.

I do use my M1 Max more now because it is faster, but I'm not letting go of the 2019 model as I still have use for it. With the 5600 graphics its honest just as fast as the M1 Max at most things.

The Phazer

macrumors 68040
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Absolutely the worst Macbook Apple ever made, but the poor sods who have one deserve more support not less given how unreliable it is.

SRTM

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2011
Still using mine as a daily driver... Luckily haven't run into too many issues with it (aside from keyboard + battery issues). Sucks that the next OS won't support it.
The M2 PRO might convince me to upgrade.

rcread

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
Duvall, WA USA
I can't believe it's been that long. I still have mine as my main laptop. I only use it every few months, mostly relying on my iPad Pro at home. It still seems new to me.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Vintage from a technological perspective but in my opinion the form factor looks ten years fresher than its successor. The new machines are an uncomfortable juxtaposition of superior technology alongside a dated and boxy looking chassis. Johnny Ive is probably not impressed.
You think Johnny didn’t have a hand in them?
He left the company at the end of 2019.
The first design leak of the new MacBook Pro was in early 2021.
The M1 family of products began development, according to some rumors, as early as 2016.
He definitely had a hand in it, just like it’s been confirmed he had a hand in the 24 inch iMac, and the upcoming apple glasses, and even the maybe one day but probably not but still possibly who knows Apple car.
Not even sure why it’s so unbelievable, the thing takes tons of design cues from products introduced while Johnny was still at the company.
The notch from the iPhone X, the square of the 2018 iPad, etc

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
So in three years the M1 will be added? :rolleyes:

Yet they still are releasing macOS updates for Intel? o_O
No.
Given that the M1 MacBook Pro was discontinued in June 2022, it’s a safe bet to assume it will be put on the list in June 2027.
The M1 Air is still being sold brand-new, so it will obviously get longer support

Reactions: JosephAW

davem20

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2018
Time to get my battery replaced I guess. Otherwise it’s chugging away just fine.

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
Sad, i never got to use the touchbar, it was awesome conceptually, but i guess devs were never given enough freedom with it, plus, its height was too thin for anything more productive use of it. also, i think, it would've made more sense if it was e-ink based display mimicing more like a physical button with haptic and something that can carry custom letters based on apps.

padco

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2022
I still use my 2018 13" with Touchbar for 8hrs a day, never had a problem. The TB itself is great for predictive text, and movie scrubbing, opening new tabs, etc., while keeping your hands near the keys. (How big are your hands or bad is your typing that you hit the TB while typing!) Even had my cat knock over a plant and spill potting soil all into the keyboard. Vacuumed it out and never had a problem. I love it's sleek design and keyboard, and that it says "MacBook Pro". My 2022 M1 Pro 16" chassis seems like a knockoff, no MPB Pro branding, all round and chunky, and the keyboard seems made for kids with its rubberized coating, also the MagSafe and braided cable seem like they might be prone to wire fatigue. My wife and I both wish the TB was on our M1 MBPs. I think people in the tech community like to pile-on and bash what everyone else is bashing without thorough experience. When it was released, people thought it was Apple's way of appeasing the desire for a touchscreen laptop, which was the trend at the time, so it was misunderstood from the start. Also, the Magic Mouse, which I also use daily, needs charging about every 3 months; it's a wireless mouse, are you going to use it while it's in the middle of its brief 3 month charge? A bit of forethought will allow you to charge it overnight or some time away from the screen. Lastly, my 2011 Macbook Air is still a nice netbook; "vintage" or "obsolete" is in relation to software updates only, not functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.