Apple Adds Eight-Year-Old iPad 2 Models to Vintage and Obsolete Products List

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I owned this one and considered it obsolete in 2014 when it was painfully slow with the latest ios version
Yeah, that's 100% my experience.

I've had nothing but grief every single time I've upgraded iOS, on every device I've tried (iPhone 3G, 4, 6, iPad 2, iPad Air). Initially it looks great and shiny, but over time I notice the performance degrades so animations start to skip, the UI responsiveness seems to lag slightly. I'd guess it's due to increased memory footprint, but who knows? The Air was a real disappointment, it was so responsive before the upgrade, and was just that bit sluggish after.

So now I have a strict policy of NEVER upgrading to a new major version. My iPhone 8 is still perfectly fast, because it's still running the 'launch' iOS. I don't mind missing out on iOS features - can't think of any recent feature I need - but it eventually becomes a problem with apps. They'll only support the last 2 or so OS versions, so sooner or later they'll stop working.

Glockworkorange

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
RIP the longest supported iPad. :(
They rode that A5 chip seemingly forever.
[doublepost=1556712218][/doublepost]
Mine is running iOS 9. Would have posted from it if I could remember my MacRumors password.
[doublepost=1556711159][/doublepost]
Not resting at all. It works as long as it works. You may not be able to get repairs, or a new battery, or a new screen, but mine keeps on running.
If iOS 9 is working well for you....is it? I can't imagine it's a good experience.

skitidetdu

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2013
Sweden
That device was always choked to death by having to drive a retina display earlier than its hardware could properly handle it... ran hot, was heavy, very tricky to code for — no wonder Apple replaced it after 6 months with an improved option.
Using it for touch osc only. can't really handle anything else

iReality85

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
My brother and I just bought my parents a brand spanking new iPad Pro 12.9" for their anniversary, and wow, what a difference from their old iPad 2 (which we also bought for them as an anniversary gift). They were blown away at how far the iPad as come. They went out and bought the Apple Pencil 2 and Apple's smart magnetic keyboard case, and I have to say, it's a really slick setup. I'm kind of jealous actually, lol.

Their iPad 2 has been slow for years now, and hasn't received iOS updates in I don't know how long. I think even their apps can't get updates. It's pretty much unusable now (in my opinion), although my parents disagree. They still used it on occasion as a streaming device.

Reactions: JPIndustrie

Compufix

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
PA
I still have an iPad V2 that works great for most things....I now use it for Bingo calling....I even used the 30pin VGA out to connect to a monitor....and the battery still holds a charge for a long time....but, it is time for something newer.

Suttree

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2018
Let’s be real. All big iPod touches are obsolete junk. Also, brilliant name, Apple. I’m sure women just LOVE the iPAD name. Embarrassing. And frankly, the original big iPod touch should still be supported. Vintage? Really? Apple once again putting a gun to your head to force an upgrade to their $1500 big iPod touch. Which you can’t even repair. Or upgrade the RAM.

Suspended
Jul 20, 2011
This was my best iPad, I loved iOS 6. I still have it and it works fine with the old iOS. All the other iPads I have forgotten, and sold without looking back, this one has so many fond memories of a great UI, and a fond memory of entering the Apple ecosystem.

Though with a lot less functionality, iOS 6 was wonderfully designed and created. I have never been in love with any of the other iOSs anymore, as there are so many hidden functions that you cannot understand without getting additional help.

Only three more Apple devices have the same memory: the old MacPro (the silver one) with Snow Leopard, and the iPhones 4S and 7plus.

AutomaticApple

macrumors 68000
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

As expected, Apple has added all iPad 2 models to its vintage and obsolete products list.

Apple defines vintage products as those that have not been manufactured for more than five but less than seven years. Devices on the list are no longer be eligible for service at a Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Providers.

The only exceptions are in California and Turkey, where due to local laws, Apple will continue to service the iPad 2 until March 2021. From that date, the iPad 2 will finally go from "vintage" to "obsolete" worldwide.

The iPad 2 was originally launched in March 2011 and continued to be sold by Apple as a lower-cost option until March 2014. The big-bezeled iPad 2 featured a 9.7-inch display with 132 PPI, an A5 chip, and a 0.7-megapixel rear camera. It also had a 30-pin dock connector.

An internal memo obtained by MacRumors last month revealed Apple's plans to obsolete iPad 2 models by the end of April.

Article Link: Apple Adds Eight-Year-Old iPad 2 Models to Vintage and Obsolete Products List
My first ever iPad...

We need to start a funeral for this iPad. Today is a sad day... :(

Reactions: Luisoes

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Let’s be real. All big iPod touches are obsolete junk. Also, brilliant name, Apple. I’m sure women just LOVE the iPAD name. Embarrassing. And frankly, the original big iPod touch should still be supported. Vintage? Really? Apple once again putting a gun to your head to force an upgrade to their $1500 big iPod touch. Which you can’t even repair. Or upgrade the RAM.
It was released in 2011... Do you expect it to be supported forever? How many tablets have the ability to upgrade RAM? Talk about uninformed.. sheesh.

Plutonius

macrumors 604
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I'm not sure what affect it will have to designate an iPad as vintage / obsolete ?

It's not like Apple would repair them in any case (i.e. iPads are treated like disposable products).

Suspended
Aug 29, 2015
life is a drama, eh?

az431

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
How was it not "Vintage and Obsolete" prior since Apple prevented us from upgrading the OS for a couple years now?
What does iOS support have to do with anything? Vintage and obsolete means no more hardware support. Has zero to do with whether you can install a certain version of iOS.
[doublepost=1556718876][/doublepost]
Won't be long before my brand new 2014 Mac Mini model will be EOL.
There is no "EOL." Vintage and obsolete means no more parts and repair service, and only applies to parts and service from Apple. You can still use the device and it will continue to work until life ceases to exist on Earth. And it can still be repaired as long as someone is willing and able to repair it.

I still have a first generation iPad that works just fine. iFixit sells plenty of parts for every iPad and iPhone ever made.
[doublepost=1556718919][/doublepost]
Another person who doesn't understand what vintage and obsolete means. See above.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
My company bought everyone in the IT department one of these and we still use them for things: my co-worker uses it to keep an eye on his digital pet feeder to see that it actually feeds his cat. Sometimes you can hear him skyping his cat during the business day.

Reactions: 0947347

Spock

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
iPad 4, that came out 6 months after iPad 3 because Apple didn’t want Retina on iPad before iPhone.
Yes. I’m still salty.
iPad 3 was the first to have retina and it shipped after the iPhone 4, iPad 4 added the lightning port and better hardware because the retina iPad 3 was painfully slow.