Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has introduced an extra confirmation step when App Store users purchase an app available on a subscription basis or tap to subscribe to a premium service in an app, making sure no accidental subscription purchases occur.

The new subscription feature was highlighted on Twitter by developer David Barnard this afternoon and appears to have been implemented recently.

applesubscriptionconfirmation-800x780.jpg

With this new confirmation step, when you download an app with a subscription or tap on a subscription option in an app where the subscription feature is optional, you'll see a second subscription popup warning after initially confirming a purchase with Face ID or Touch ID on your iPhone or iPad.

Whoa! Apple added an additional confirmation step for subscriptions. This new alert comes after you confirm with Touch ID/Face ID. I hope they address this in a more elegant way in iOS 13, but I'm thrilled Apple took a definitive step to curb scam subscriptions. 👏🏻 @pschiller pic.twitter.com/oktaEVdx0o - David Barnard (@drbarnard) April 11, 2019

The popup warns that the subscription will continue unless canceled in the Settings app at least one day before a subscription period ends, requiring users to confirm the notice with an OK button or tap cancel to cancel the initiation of the subscription.

Adding a second confirmation screen to subscription purchases will thwart app developers who have been using nefarious tactics to trick users into purchasing subscriptions or making subscription costs and terms unclear.

Accidental subscription purchases have been an ongoing problem with Touch ID iPhones where a purchase could be made unintentionally when putting a finger on the Home button (such as when pressing to exit out of the App Store), but the new confirmation screen makes it clearer that you're initiating a recurring subscription on both Face ID and Touch ID iPhones.

Article Link: Apple Adds Extra Confirmation Step When Purchasing Subscriptions in Apps

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
automatic renewal of subscriptions is bogus. They should all have to be manually renewed each month with a simple prompt screen. It's a money grab
Well that would defeat the purpose of a subscription. If I know I’m going to use Netflix indefinitely for at least the next few years, I’d rather it renew automatically instead of me having to keep track of everything. They should send you a notification when it’s about to renew though.

kellyrev

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2008
automatic renewal of subscriptions is bogus. They should all have to be manually renewed each month with a simple prompt screen. It's a money grab

I'm not sure you've grasped the concept of what a subscription is...

---

sub·scrip·tion
noun
  1. the action of making or agreeing to make an advance payment in order to receive or participate in something.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY

---

sub·scrip·tion
noun
  1. the action of making or agreeing to make an advance payment in order to receive or participate in something.
To be fair, what he’s suggesting would still fit that definition. It says nothing about automatic renewal.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
A more elegant way? All you do is tap confirm. Does he want it to spiral into view with a cute animation or drop down as a banner or something? The point of this is specifically to be a hard stop requiring attention and user interaction.
I mean, sure, as long as it isn't anything too obtrusive or distracting. A subtle spiral could be nice.

cTUmTaH.gif

Incredibly late. Billions have been stolen, but at least they got it done.
[citation needed]

Last edited:

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida

---

sub·scrip·tion
noun
Well, technically speaking, that definition does not require the recurrence to happen automatically.That said, I think it is implied and understood with the modern usage of the word that it will, in fact, automatically happen. I would be quite annoyed if I had to confirm my subscriptions each month.

needsomecoffee

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
Seattle
Reactions: AngerDanger

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnko...or-even-4700-each-year-per-user/#7b1eb936162a

Only Apple knows the total amount, but billions is not unlikely given developers commonly scamming so much per month. This has been known about for a long time. Apple, of course, made its 30% during that time, and undoubtedly knew of the issues (along with IAP stealing from kids @ FBook). Really sad how profits affect large corp's decisions.
Apple paid $34 billion to developers in 2018, including subscriptions and one time purchases. So since Apple takes a 30% cut, let’s say total App Store spending was $110 billion. For there to have been at least $1 billion stolen, 1% of every dollar spent would’ve went to scammers. Do you think this is the case?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Its good Apple is adding a way for users to "know" what they already know.. :p All you gotta do is read the description. Good on one part, but bad on the other.

I like confirmations, but unfortunately it must be done these days to protect us. (not only from ourselves)

Osxguy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Keizer Oregon
I think they should have an audit option about every six months. I go through about every two or so months and think to myself have i used this to make it worth the amount.. usually I unsubscribe and dont miss it...

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Sounds like a half-assed attempt at addressing some very real problems. I don't need a pop-up notification to alert me to something that I *just* did. I need a pop-up alert for something that's about to happen. Sure, if we're talking about Netflix or some other respectable company charging me a $10/month subscription, this isn't a big deal. My concern (which I've been hit with - blame my wife) are situations where you download a "free" app, get an automatic "free trial" subscription, and after that free trial, it automatically converts to a $100/year (or whatever) subscription.

It would also help if Apple didn't make it so damned difficult to locate all of the subscriptions you've purchased through the App Store. There should be a quick and easy way to find all of your current subscriptions, but there isn't. It's buried through a convoluted mess of menus that aren't intuitive at all.

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
Well that would defeat the purpose of a subscription. If I know I’m going to use Netflix indefinitely for at least the next few years, I’d rather it renew automatically instead of me having to keep track of everything. They should send you a notification when it’s about to renew though.

They do. I get notifications weeks and then just before renewals.

meaning-matters

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Cancelling a subscription is bloody hard to find. iOS Settings app search doesn't know the 'subscription' keyword (anymore). Really bad.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Sounds like a half-assed attempt at addressing some very real problems. I don't need a pop-up notification to alert me to something that I *just* did. I need a pop-up alert for something that's about to happen. Sure, if we're talking about Netflix or some other respectable company charging me a $10/month subscription, this isn't a big deal. My concern (which I've been hit with - blame my wife) are situations where you download a "free" app, get an automatic "free trial" subscription, and after that free trial, it automatically converts to a $100/year (or whatever) subscription.

It would also help if Apple didn't make it so damned difficult to locate all of the subscriptions you've purchased through the App Store. There should be a quick and easy way to find all of your current subscriptions, but there isn't. It's buried through a convoluted mess of menus that aren't intuitive at all.

Open the App Store
Click on your avatar (upper right corner)
Select ‘manage subscriptions’ from the menu

Reactions: martyjmclean

needsomecoffee

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
Seattle
Apple paid $34 billion to developers in 2018, including subscriptions and one time purchases. So since Apple takes a 30% cut, let’s say total App Store spending was $110 billion. For there to have been at least $1 billion stolen, 1% of every dollar spent would’ve went to scammers. Do you think this is the case?

Someone did an analysis of how many of the top grossing apps used this duplicitous trickery. Do not want to track down the link, but the number was shockingly high- SHOCKING. These apps were all solely designed to trick unaware users into clicking and approving a subscription. Unlike the suggestion above that this is obvious, it can be set up pretty easily using a dark dialog pattern during install. Really, Apple should have shut this down the first week it became obvious. However, there was LOTS of profit made from that potential date until this week.

Re: the standard "their job is to make profit". That is so tiring. Facebook knew that parents of kids were being ripped off by duplicitous IAP games that took advantage of their young kids. FBook refused refunds when aggrieved parents sought reversals. FBook literally referred to such parents as "whales" - they knew and approved of the targeting.

Making an honest profit is one thing, these types of decisions are another. Tim & the other C-Level execs have enjoyed billions of personal gains during this period (Tim's $700 million alone should be enough to give anyone pause). The one defining trait Steve had was he absolutely did not kowtow to hedge fund managers who want near-term profits above all else. I am pretty sure he would not have ridden this wave of profiteering as did Tim, Mark, & Co.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.