Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In yet another addition to the growing stable of channels available on the Apple TV, A&E's Fyi network and Hallmark's streaming family movie channel Feeln have been added to the set-top box today.

feeln_fyi_apple_tv.jpg
As with many other channels, Fyi offers some free content, but complete access to streaming on-demand episodes requires authentication with a participating cable provider. The television, which launched as a rebranding of The Biography Channel earlier this year, focuses on "contemporary lifestyle" topics.

fyi_apple_tv.jpg
Feeln's subscription service is priced at $4.99 per month with a one-week free trial or $47.99 per year with a one-month free trial. The service offers reasonable library of family-friend movies for streaming, including some box office hits, Hallmark originals, and original shorts.

feeln_apple_tv.jpg

Article Link: Apple Adds 'Fyi' and 'Feeln' Channels to Apple TV

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
How long before the amount of channels added starts to creep into precious buffer space on the internal memory of this thing? I literally have 3 "channels" that I use on the thing (Hulu, Netflix, and iTunes TV shows.)

vazandrew

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2014
How long before the amount of channels added starts to creep into precious buffer space on the internal memory of this thing? I literally have 3 "channels" that I use on the thing (Hulu, Netflix, and iTunes TV shows.)

They don't use any space, rather they are fed from a server. If you lose connection to the Internet you will no longer see said channels.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
If Apple keeps this up, a major UI overhaul can't be far behind. The interface is becoming really tedious with so many apps on the grid. We need whatever the innovation was that Jobs said he "cracked".

BriSpe

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
CH
I really hope this is just a transition until a new Apple TV is coming. They can't be serious with this....adding more and more channels to an interface that wasn't made to work like that

NashMan2

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2009
Can't they add some unique channels? One's you can't get 5 other places.
I'd like a US version of the BBC iPlayer and itv Player.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Hey Apple TV team...Fyi, I'm not feeln too excited about this.

Ha! Good one HarryKeogh.

Now, take a page from Tim Cook's Q&A yesterday when he was talking about CVS and RiteAid's actions. Give the consumers what they want. Make them love you. We want and would love Amazon's channel.

Thank you.

mrholder

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
I just started renting an hd dvr from xfinity. To use an Apple TV, do you have to have a cable TV subscription or can you just have a cable internet subscription (through Xfinity or otherwise)? I've been a comcast customer for years, but never had a way to record or watch hd and ondemand tv series. It's taken my desire for an Apple TV away, but if I had to lower my bill, just wondering if I can cut down xfinity to just the internet.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I just started renting an hd dvr from xfinity. To use an Apple TV, do you have to have a cable TV subscription or can you just have a cable internet subscription (through Xfinity or otherwise)? I've been a comcast customer for years, but never had a way to record or watch hd and ondemand tv series. It's taken my desire for an Apple TV away, but if I had to lower my bill, just wondering if I can cut down xfinity to just the internet.

Because of the current content deals between studios and cable, you will need a tv contract to get streamed content from all streaming devices.

However, there is a ray of light. Recently cbs and hbo has made plans to offer their content sans a paid tv contract. CBS does this right now and HBO will next year. There is speculation that since CBS owns Showtime, it will offer that and a la carte soon.

Last edited:

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I really wish that after I authenticate one of these channels with my Comcast login, that my login info would be valid for all of the other channels on Apple TV. Why do I need to enter my contact info again for each channel? :(

Just on my wish list.

----------

Hey Apple TV team...Fyi, I'm not feeln too excited about this.

Ha! Good one HarryKeogh.

Now, take a page from Tim Cook's Q&A yesterday when he was talking about CVS and RiteAid's actions. Give the consumers what they want. Make them love you. We want and would love Amazon's channel.

Thank you.

Given the Amazon Fire TV and the new fire stick, I almost wonder if it's amazon that is not interested in putting Amazon video on an Apple TV. After all, less people would then want their fire box offerings. Who knows though. Amazon has always been good about putting kindle ereader software across devices.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I wonder how long before they flip the bit and turn these channels into the actual, live broadcast channels, and charge us a nominal subscription fee, killing the cable companies once and for all? Probably wishful thinking for now at least.

Deelron

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009

For it to count as a subscription to access the TV content it has to include a cable TV sub, just an internet connection does not count (at least they don't in my area of the US, I'm assuming that's a standard deal).

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I really wish that after I authenticate one of these channels with my Comcast login, that my login info would be valid for all of the other channels on Apple TV. Why do I need to enter my contact info again for each channel? :(

Just on my wish list.

----------

Given the Amazon Fire TV and the new fire stick, I almost wonder if it's amazon that is not interested in putting Amazon video on an Apple TV. After all, less people would then want their fire box offerings. Who knows though. Amazon has always been good about putting kindle ereader software across devices.

Amazon doesn't have a choice with the Kindle eReader. They want to sell books; iOS and non-Kindle Android devices are pervasive, and fill precious, limited pocket space. Amazon needs to support all those devices in order to sell eBooks.

Getting someone to buy an extra $40 enabler and plug into an unused HDMI port is no big deal. Amazon does not need Apple TV to sell streaming media content.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I wonder how long before they flip the bit and turn these channels into the actual, live broadcast channels, and charge us a nominal subscription fee, killing the cable companies once and for all? Probably wishful thinking for now at least.

Even if they did, how are you going to get your Internet? In my area at least, the ISPs are all cable providers. And if you want only Internet service, they charge you more if you don't also take their cable package. They've got customers over a barrel, and they know it. That was one thing that Steve Jobs found frustrating, when he stated that television service in this country is "balkanized".

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I haven't even HEARD of half the channels that show up, nor is there a very easy way to know if i should be using them.

Here's a completely unique idea that no one but me has had: A "App Store" type thing, where you can look at what's available, read the descriptions, and opt-in.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Nothing to see here. I don't even use HBO GO anymore. I think I only used it the first week and subscribed to HBO just to use HBO GO. I think it's time to cancel that channel.

Like others, I only use a few things at most but mostly Netflix because I use my ATV mostly for iTunes purchases and movies I download elsewhere. I have no need for things such as FOX or other channels.

I rarely even watch anything on cable besides my local news and Broncos football games.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Number of channels is certainly getting up there. While the Chromecast had plenty of apps for these channels, the Apple TV offers a single interface to access them and the ease of using a remote rather than dealing with smartphone apps. The continued comparison between the two is a bit silly as they provide things in a much different format for the user.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007

Just on my wish list.

THIS>

I've said that same thing before. I also hate when something happens and I need to re-enter each activation.
I should Activate in Settings and be done. maybe have an "update" under Activation so when you start buying HBO, you can just hit "update" and it now adds that to a channel you can use.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado

Just on my wish list.

Apparently, if you don't use the channels for several weeks or a few months, they deactivate and you have to reactivate them again.

I tried using HBO GO and FOX Now last night and both said I needed to activate them again. It was a few months ago since I last used them.

I was getting HBO free for a year and just called to cancel even though I had 9 months to go.

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
Instantly hid "Feeln" and "FYI" looks like crap. But the overwhelming majority of stuff on cable is crap, so, same thing.

----------

No thank you to "actual broadcast channels" as you put it. The only service that best utilizes that type of delivery is news (and Vevo). Otherwise, the beauty of AppleTV is that everything is on demand. In fact, I watch Skynews equally between on demand stories and live (I love Press Preview).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.