Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

113047-avatar_rotten_tomatoes_itunes.jpg

TUAW notes that Apple has added a new section to its iTunes Store pages for movies, offering ratings and reviews from popular review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes.
iTunes' integrated Rotten Tomatoes ratings presents the movie's prospective buyers and renters with the Tomatometer chart featuring the total count of reviews along with a fresh/rotten breakdown and the average rating. Viewers are also shown four review snippets from Top Critic reviewers, follow by a link to the movies page on RottenTomatoes.com.
The new section appears between the "Viewers Also Bought" and "Customer Reviews" portions of each film's iTunes Store page.

Article Link: Apple Adds 'Rotten Tomatoes' Movie Ratings and Reviews to iTunes Store

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
Sweet! Now everyone will read my reviews. It's all going according to my plan... heh heh heh. *pyramids hands a-la Steve Jobs/Montgomery Burns*

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
I bet opening iTunes and navigating to the Rotten Tomatoes reviews there will be about 10 times faster than looking up the reviews on the Rotten Tomatoes site itself, which is probably a contender for slowest major site on the internet.

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
A Metacritic rating would be better.

I would prefer that for my own reference... but seeing as Metacritic won't list me (they have no open application process), but Rottentomatoes does... I'll take it. :D

mojoxp

macrumors member
May 18, 2006
They still need to figure out how to offer movies for rental on a consistent basis. I'm fine with the 30 day window for initial availability, but when the movie goes back to being purchase only 6 months later is ridiculous. I know it's the movie industry that's demanding this windowing, but it's just silly. Once something is available to rent on the iTunes store it should stay that way.

When TBS gets "exclusive cable" rights to run a movie, Blockbuster doesn't pull it off the shelves. Why should a "virtual" rental store be any different?

qbricc

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
Maybe Apple should read its users reviews

Many films and TV shows have unreliable ratings due to the large amount of people using it to complain about the high prices itunes charges for its content. I cannot understand how a downloaded film can cost more than picking up a copy from a bricks and mortar store. This pricing policy is not helping apple's plan to rid the world of spinning discs or users judging the film on its own merit.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
nice.

just off topic a bit...
It always riddled me why Amazon, who already owns IMDB, didn't integrate IMDB better into Amazon. They could have bought Netflix, too, and leveraged their customer base and fold it to their mail order system to create economies.., in other words, they would have the rating system/content, the logistic system and customer base and order/usage habits.

It would have created a nice shoe-in if they ever wanted to move into download or streaming movies... it may also position the Kindle better if they ever wanted to move it to more than just a reader in the future.

(just a comment , since I believe that IMDB had great potential, but has steadily gone downhill in quality, while Rotten Tomatoes has gotten better in comparison)

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I cannot understand how a downloaded film can cost more than picking up a copy from a bricks and mortar store.

If you were a distributor, and you had thousands of established brick and mortar retailers that all hung on your pricing structure to keep MSRP constant within a given range, you'd be hesitant to allow Apple to come along and undercut everyone you've been doing business with for decades.

I don't like it either, but that's the way it goes for now.

The "artists to iTunes" approach requires some very talented artists.

Currently, for every artist (the ones actually selling albums), there are over 100 other people between their talent and your ears.

All those people like this system, because it gives them something to do.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I like this a lot. Now just get rid of the user reviews ;)

Valentine's Day:

Critics: 18%

Users: 4.5/5

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
Critics are terrible. You can't trust them at all. Just because they like a movie doesn't mean it's good. And if they hate something, it may very well be great.

I trust user reviews, especially if there are hundreds or thousands of them. Individual people do a much better job of reviewing movies than critics.

Roger Ebert rocks, but really, the rest of the critics are a dying breed. Newspapers are dying and with them, the critics.

Movies can reach the people today directly. The interloper the critic is a relic.

runonthespot

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
Excellent.

Ironically this will mean that the venerable itunes becomes a more efficient way of getting rotten tomato scores, given how slow and annoying their website is!

Rotten tomato is cool, but they do tend to pan any romantic comedies to my wife's lasting annoyance, and tend to over-hype weird quirky indie movies.

sdornan

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2010
Nashville, TN
*sigh* So many things wrong with this.

Critics are terrible. You can't trust them at all. Just because they like a movie doesn't mean it's good. And if they hate something, it may very well be great.
I find myself to be a reasonably intelligent 23 year-old individual. Many of the people who post "reviews" of movies on iTunes are either a) young, whose tastes are not nearly as discerning as mine b) stupid, whose tastes are not nearly as discerning as mine.

Here is one review of Valentine's Day from iTunes:
"Oh my god i love this movie the best movie ever if your knowing you should watchit you should"

I don't consider that a well-informed, analytical critical opinion.

In contrast, critics are generally art-oriented, intelligent people. Most have viewed hundreds of movies; thus, they have enough experience to know what makes a movie good and what makes a movie bad.

I trust user reviews, especially if there are hundreds or thousands of them. Individual people do a much better job of reviewing movies than critics.
I trust critic reviews, especially if there are hundreds or thousands of them. Individual critics do a much better job of reviewing movies than users.

Good thing Rotten Tomatoes is around, huh?

Roger Ebert rocks, but really, the rest of the critics are a dying breed. Newspapers are dying and with them, the critics.
Think about this for a minute. What can be considered the biggest collection of human knowledge, all accessible from any single connected computer, part of which is made up of places dedicated to the subject of movies and reviewing them? Hint: You're using it right now.

Also, you're saying you've read reviews by every movie critic in existence, and the only reviews you liked were the ones by Roger Ebert?

Movies can reach the people today directly. The interloper the critic is a relic.
When could movies not reach the people directly? Isn't that the point? The difference is that with critics I can find out a movie is **** and make an informed decision not to spend my money to see it.

Castiel

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Ohio
I never really liked Rotten Tomatoes review system.
Since it's either fresh/rotten or positive/negative they have to place everything to be either fresh or rotten. So for say a neutral review, which a lot of movies fall under, they usually get pushed to the rotten side.
So most movies have a much lower rating then it should.

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
This blows my mind. Not because of the feature, but because of the coincidence.

Just yesterday, literally yesterday, I was browsing through movies in iTunes and thinking to myself, "it sure would be a nice feature for Apple to include ratings from rottentomatoes or metacritic".

The coincidence is overbearing.

cmfilms

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
Central Iowa
Rotten Tomatoes is awful.

Like I care about the public opinion of a movie? The same public that made Transformers 2 a hit last summer? Meh.

Should have been Metacritic. :mad:

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
Rotten Tomatoes is awful.

Like I care about the public opinion of a movie? The same public that made Transformers 2 a hit last summer? Meh.

Should have been Metacritic. :mad:

Transformers 2 scored 20% on Rotten Tomatoes, based on 228 critics' reviews.

Not sure what you are busy raging about there, tbh. It's similar to Metacritic.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I use Metacritic for game scores. But even then, I rarely use that site.

RottenTomatoes, on the other hand, is bookmarked at home, at work, on my mom's system, on my iPhone, etc.

I check it EVERY day. My mom was big into movies - she has cataloged everything she has ever seen dating back to the 1940s.
I'm also big into movies, and I love seeing what the score is.

Like the upcoming MacGruber movie - positive so far. Shrek has been negative so far. Scores on RT impact if I see a movie or not.
I have a young daughter that of course loves kids movies, but I will not sit through some animated movie if it got horrible reviews. It's a waste of time and money.

I agree with critics MOST of the time. So if they say the story sucks, the acting sucks, no plot, etc - I find some of the same things wrong with the movie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.