Apple admits second UK store in Birmingham

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
WOW, so London gets the first European Apple store, and then we get a 2nd one in Birmingham (fairly central in the country, good idea)! Fantastic!

I hope the investment they are putting in to the UK market will be worth while. I don't see why it can't be a big success. One thing though Apple....YOU NEED TO ADVERTISE ON TV!!!!!!!!!!! (Something other than the bloody iPod!)

James Craner

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I am surprised that they have announced a 2nd UK store, before they have announced a new flagship store in Continental Europe, in either France or Germany at least. Not that I am complaining, however a new store in Bristol :D would be great Steve, if you are reading.

James Craner

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
edesignuk said:
One thing though Apple....YOU NEED TO ADVERTISE ON TV!!!!!!!!!!! (Something other than the bloody iPod!)
I completely agree, and not some lame advert like the PowerMac G5 blowing someone out of his house. Show people how easy OS X is easy to use and demo the iLife Apps, as well as show off the sexy hardware.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
James Craner said:
I completely agree, and not some lame advert like the PowerMac G5 blowing someone out of his house. Show people how easy OS X is easy to use and demo the iLife Apps, as well as show off the sexy hardware.
Exactly, that advert was utter crap. yeah, it looked good, but it didn't tell the PC buying public ANYTHING. They need to get across a few important points.

1. If you own a mac you will still be able to do everything you can with a Windows PC.
2. You can still communicate with your Windows buddies in the same normal ways you would with a PC.
3. Less frequent security updates, stability etc.
4. Show off the iMac, don't even bother with the PM G5. The iMac is the one to push here.
5. A quick flick of Expose just looks cool and will get people interested. ;)
6. More that I can't think of right now...

If they don't do this then these Apple stores will be a complete waste of money.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Apple Stores act as adverts themselves so it's great news that the UK has two lined up, with a possible third on the way. Agreed that a bit more marketing on the computer front wouldn't go amiss, enough with the iPod silhouettes!!

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
vollspacken said:
WTF??? damn Apple... open a store in Berlin already! :rolleyes:

vSpacken
Too right.. Toronto store please!

However, Brum is a good location, central England and not poked away in the corner like london is.
(London == **** hole. EVERYTHING has to be in London.. national football staduim, museums, the lot. Even talking about the UK grand prix in the Streets of London).

<RANT>
In Canada, people don't say "are you from UK".. NO, instead "ARE YOU FROM LONDON".. NO I'M BLOODY NOT

LONDON isn't UK... London is just a small part... If you have only been to London and haven 't been arsed to go elsewhere, you really haven't been to visit UK.

</RANT>

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Stella said:
(London == **** hole. EVERYTHING has to be in London.. national football staduim, museums, the lot. Even talking about the UK grand prix in the Streets of London).
No matter it's location, London is the capital, and a pretty damn famous one at that.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Stella said:
Too right.. Toronto store please!

However, Brum is a good location, central England and not poked away in the corner like london is.

<RANT>
In Canada, people don't say "are you from UK".. NO, instead "ARE YOU FROM LONDON".. NO I'M BLOODY NOT

LONDON isn't UK... London is just a small part... If you have only been to London and haven 't been arsed to go elsewhere, you really haven't been to visit UK.

</RANT>
I've been to London. The UK was great!! ;)

Yeah, Toronto needs a store. Yorkdale Mall is supposed to be getting one, and another one in either Eaton Centre or at store accessible by street in the downtown core.

I really believe that a presence in each country should be higher on the priority list than having lots of stores in only several countries. They need more than 3 countries with retail stores to succeed. At least put one in Toronto. It has 5-7 million people, last time I checked. Even smaller US cities have one when one of North America's largest cities don't. :rolleyes:

Sydney should also get one ---- 4 million people.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
my guess is that Paris (France) will be the next hot bet ...(after birmingham)
then germany, italy etc.

i wonder more when the first stores will open in smaller countries ... my first bet for small countries would be switzerland because of the high market share there....

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
The funny thing about having an Apple store in the bullring (for many years the ugliest building in the world!), is their store design would actually be overshadowed for once by Selfridges.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
That's great, will save me a few pennies driving all that way to London. Its great Birmingham is getting stores like Selfridges and Apple etc, help revitalise the city.

Next one has to be Paris, France that's where Apple's European HQ is located.

I hope they get one in Manchester or Leeds or somewhere as I HATE going to Birmingham, the motorway is a nightmare, plus its a concrete jungle.

diego

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2003
Canada & Mexico
Mexico City anyone? 25 million people
We actually have one, the Macstore, but it's too small and from a reseller, an official Apple Store would be awesome.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Stella said:
When since was London poked away in the corner?? :p it's situated in the most densily populated area of the entire country. The South East.

Brum is a good location for the 2nd store, it's got excellent transport infrustructure, being at the heart of the UK motorway network for the M1, M5, and M6 and is on the West Coast Mainline.

On the downside even though it's the 2nd largest city, it still loses 16+ million potential customers that London has and as such is 1 of the reasons why London was chosen as the location for the first store.

Stella said:
Everything is not in London... stop being so melodramtic and ignorant.

The National Stadium is in London, because the previous one was... and the legend that is Wembley dictated where the new stadium should be built.

The F.A. Cup has suffered in recent years because of it's temporary home in Cardiff.... Que Sera Sera?? doesn't quite have the same ring with Birmingham in it does it!! ;) :p

Birmingham also has the NATIONAL Exhibition Centre, the home of the only MAJOR car show in the country.

Museums... well every major city in the UK worth it's salt has museums and galleries even St Ives in Cornwall (which is really poked away in a corner) has a Tate! ;) as does Liverpool.

So London has some of the biggest museums... but then Newcastle has some of the most impressive.

What about the whole Royal Armouries that was relocated from London to Leeds??

The talk of a London GP is exactly that... a London GP, not a replacement for the British GP, a supplement to the exisiting race in one of the worlds greatest cities.

Birmingham used to have the Super Prix several years ago (the council killed it) so it's not just a London thing is it.

Stella said:
If you have only been to London and haven 't been arsed to go elsewhere, you really haven't been to visit UK.
Exactly.... :) so why do you say that London has everything, and imply that everywhere else has nothing?? That is simply not the case.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
iGAV said:
The National Stadium is in London, because the previous one was... and the legend that is Wembley dictated where the new stadium should be built.
you darn right....

Birmingham also has the NATIONAL Exhibition Centre, the home of the only MAJOR car show in the country.
obviously not been to the london motorshow at earles court then ;)
i have and its major...

Museums... well every major city in the UK worth it's salt has museums and galleries even St Ives in Cornwall (which is really poked away in a corner) has a Tate! ;) as does Liverpool.
lol have you ever been to st.ives tate...lol i had some work up in the once.... and that says how good it is..
if you are ever in st ives there is an artist on the front with his own shop called keith english... man he is amazing

Exactly.... :) so why do you say that London has everything, and imply that everywhere else has nothing?? That is simply not the case.
to true..

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I guess this proves my earlier post in another thread wrong about there being no UK Apple Stores...It's good to see Apple Stores springing up in the UK - their presence is badly needed.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
AL-FAMOUS said:
you darn right.... obviously not been to the london motorshow at earles court then ;) i have and its major...
Yes I have... when it was called Motofair, and it's no where near as good as the one in Birmingham, infact it hasn't been since the 1980's.

But it's not considered as 'major' by car manufacturers, that's why many car manufacturers pulled out of it, or decided not to show altogether (with some companies being represented by dealers instead) and as such they've had to cancel it in recent years 2003 for example.

Birmingham is the ONLY major car show now in the UK.

AL-FAMOUS said:
lol have you ever been to st.ives tate...lol i had some work up in the once.... and that says how good it is..
if you are ever in st ives there is an artist on the front with his own shop called keith english... man he is amazing
I love Tate St Ives :) I think it's just as relevant as say Tate Modern is, and the perfect antidote to the urban scene of many major cities. The Cornish art scene really is superb, there's alot of contemporary artists coming through, Bristol is the same. ;)

It just annoys me when such sweeping statements are made that London gets everything, and the rest of the country is ignored at it's expense, when this is simply incorrect, is ignorant of the facts and not fair to the many great cities in this country such as Birmingham, Derby, Bristol, Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield etc etc... all of which are experiencing MASSIVE regeneration, have their own cultural identity and all of the above are really beginning to develop their own vibrant scenes regardless of what is going on in the capital.

Same goes for people that whinge about London and have moved their by choice. Sorry to bring Mancs into this, but I know so many Mancs in London, and all they do is shred it to pieces, how they hate it, how Manchester is soooooooo much better, how London is too expensive, too flash etc etc and it's like... 'well what the f**k are you doing living here then??' I just can't understand that kind of mentality of living in a place that you so obviously hate. :rolleyes:

Anyway... I know I'm coming across as harsh, but it's only because I'm passionate about the city I choose to live in. :)

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
iGAV said:
Sorry to bring Mancs into this, but I know so many Mancs in London, and all they do is shred it to pieces, how they hate it, how Manchester is soooooooo much better, how London is too expensive, too flash etc etc and it's like... 'well what the f**k are you doing living here then??' I just can't understand that kind of mentality of living in a place that you so obviously hate. :rolleyes:
I am from Manchester and have worked and lived in London, and while a fantastic place for culture, history, architecture etc.. etc... The people of London and the atmosphere are absolutely awful. Many people go on about a North/south divide and there is one, in the attitude of the people. I absolutely detested living and working in London, that much I chose to move back to Manchester. The northern people, to me, are so much more freindlier, you can ask anyone anything on the street and you will get an answer. In London you are forced to run around to your destination so impersonally. If you died on the underground, no one would bat an eye lid.

I suppose it's what you have been brought up with and what your values are but I prefer the 'simpler' life up here in the north of england :) Give me lancashire hotpot over jellied eels any day :p

I still love London, it's one of the greatest cities in the world, and I have been to a few. But I prefer it at a distance.

hob

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
garybUK said:
If you died on the underground, no one would bat an eye lid.
That's really harsh!! I've lived in London all my life, and whilst there are a few people who always appear "too busy" to give a toss about anyone else, that's surely the same in any city/town/community in the world! I've never been out of London (much) in the last 18 years, but now am at Uni in Stafford near Birmingham and am looking forward to experiencing other citys within the UK.

i don't think there is a north/south divide, it's just in the minds of people who talk about it! Could be something to do with a need for conflict that seems inherent in some people ("southern ponces"... "northern...." well, whatever). As someone else said many of the cities in the UK are undergoing regeneration. The Student Union bar here charges the same for drinks as Weatherspoons in my home town of Bromley, or the one in Victoria Station - infact Stella Artois is 30p more expensive!!

Hob