Apple Airport Extreme.... Where are the 802.11n speeds?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by captain frys, Jan 8, 2010.

1. captain frys macrumors newbie

Mar 4, 2008
    Hey there!

I'm in a bit of a predicament. My family has a wireless network and up until recently a few components were hard wired. About 3 days ago I installed a wireless network card into one of our desktops PCI slots and we are now completely wireless.

The router used to be on one end of the house and now is in a more centralized location. (I did this because reception in our rooms on the other end was horrible.)

I'm wondering if there are eny known issues with the internal airport for the 15' macbook pro (bought in march of 2008) My cousins laptop is getting connection speeds of about 200-250mbps, our desktop is getting speeds of about 80-120mbps (and it is the farthest from the router w/ the most obstructions) and both my 360 PS3 are performing quite well.

My Mac on the other hand is getting an average connection speed of 50-60 mbps, even when 10 feet from the router, a clear line of site and no other devices connected. Whats going on? I know I have the correct updates and hardware to take advantage of wireless n speeds (and have seen my transmit rate increase to 104mbps on very,very rare occasions) but the performance is lacking.

Any suggestions/theories?

-Captain Frys
  2. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2009
    The Extreme can transmit both 802.11b/g and 802.11n simultaneously - sounds like your Mac is on b/g to me (even though it may be able to do n).

Worth noting that n is faster but has less range than b/g (cos n is on a 5GHz frequency).

The Extreme can be locked into two distinct (and seperately named) networks - one b/g and one n. You may find it useful to do this so you can see exactly which speed your various computers are connected at.
  3. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2009
    With regards to the above, a quick way of checking is to hold alt while clicking on the airport symbol which will give detailed info about your current network