Apple: Al's Gorey Mess

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacBytes, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacBytes macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: Opinion/Interviews
    Link: Apple: Al's Gorey Mess
    Description:: Al Gore, the former Vice President of the United States, and who is on the board of directors of Apple, Inc., won the Noble Peace Prize in 2007 for his book and film warning the world community of the dangers of increasing greenhouse gas emissions and overall potentially catastrophic climate change.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. gruler macrumors newbie

It Figures

If anyone had any doubt about how committed Al Gore is to stopping global warming and saving the planet, I think this article shows his level of commitment.
    Of course, we just had to look at his lifestyle to see his commitment.

Do as I say not as I do. blah blah blah

3. Spizzo macrumors 6502

Not one mention of Gore's fight against ManBearPig! :D

4. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

I am no fan of the former Vice-President, but I will not take him to task as a member of the Apple Board for not going along with the requests of outside companies who want to directly affect how Apple conducts its business. There is something to be said for a company, and Board, who refuse to be told what to do by outside influences or to allow themselves to be bent over a barrel to appease outsiders (especially those who do not answer to a stockholder).

Apple may certainly choose to get more environmentally sound. If it does, then great, but why should it be on someone else's timetable? No outsider knows exactly what Apple has planned and they should not dictate that Apple is not doing enough. Truth be told, Apple has been more environmentally proactive in the last few years than many computer producing competitors have been. The difference is, these competitors have published and adopted "target goals" to become more environmentally sound (even though they have not lived up to them, by and large). Apple is an industry leader in many of it's innovations; it should not be forced into being an industry leader here.

5. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Apple is not opposing this shareholder proposal because they want to pollute the earth in an unfettered way. They're opposing it because it will just add more bureaucracy and redundant hoops for them to jump through at board meetings.

Their new products are making significant progress in being more friendly to the environment (see the improvements made in the MacBook Air). Of course, the media will take the simpleton's approach and come up with the darkest possible scenarios in order to whip up more page hits.

6. montex macrumors regular

montex

May I present the right-wing argument that unless Al Gore lives in a cave and eats twigs and berries, he must be a hypocrite. It's completely ridiculous of course. They never give Gore credit for bringing to people's attention what is going in with the climate and the science behind Global Warming. No, it's always about personal attacks on Gore himself and how he is the one (and only) person who is responsible for GW.

It's really hard to have rational discourse with these people. The only solace I take from the ignorance and bile of the right is that GW will continue unabated and it will be fun to watch their back-peddling as the world's coastal cities are flooded by rising sea levels.

7. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Interesting that you think the self appointed alarmist-in-chief shouldn't be expected to show his commitment personally.

Someone yelling the sky is falling, while selling "sky falling" insurance and standing out in the open without a helmet on isn't going to garner much serious attention from me. Sorry.

Also, you do realize that according to the alarmists of 5 years ago, many of us should already be underwater here in Florida - but we aren't.

The real beauty of your argument is that there you can't be proven wrong. 100 years from now you could still be saying how global warming is coming. Just you wait. We'll all be sorry. Or maybe you'll have switched back to the impending Ice Age by then. Who knows. Won't change anything either way. We'll still be dumping billions of tax dollars to fund thousands of idiotic research projects to figure out that the Sun makes the earth hot and when it goes away it gets cold.

8. montex macrumors regular

montex

Let me see if I understand you... global warming won't begin for 100 years, Florida isn't flooded right now so GW isn't real, Al Gore personally sells global warming insurance and any research on the subject is a waste of money. Wow.

I'm not even going to bother trying to convince you of anything. Much like I gave up years ago to get people to abandon their PCs and switch to the Mac. Some people just flat out refuse to acknowledge things they don't want to believe. If you can't see the truth that is right in front of you then eff it. I don't care. Your ignorance (as in ignoring the evidence of GW) is your failure not mine. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

9. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Not what I said. Perhaps reading comprehension classes would help.

I didn't say that. Reference last suggestion.

He owns a stake in a company that sells "carbon offsets".

I didn't say that. Reference initial suggestion.

If only you really meant it.

I never said global temperatures aren't going up. They are. They just aren't going up because Al Gore is a hypocrite and uses far more energy than he "needs".

Unfortunately, unlike horses who are smart enough to check out the water before they drink it, most people just believe what they hear.

10. montex macrumors regular

montex

In fact, my opinion is not based on what I "hear". There's solid, empirical scientific evidence that supports the theory that human activity is causing global warming. In fact, there is a preponderance of it. Maybe if you spent less time listening to Rush and O'Riley you could look it up.

However, unlike Al Gore, I don't believe GW can be stopped. The whole idea of Carbon Offsets is as ridiculous as WMDs in Iraq. Al Gore isn't selling carbon offsets as you claim. He offered the idea as a means to encourage reducing the production of greenhouse gasses.

I would like to remind everyone that the Republican Party officially denies that global warming exists and that man is not responsible for climate change. One day that will become their epitaph.

11. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

LOL No, your opinion is based on what people told you was "empirical scientific evidence". If you actually understood the science and data used to convince you, you'd see that it's far from convincing.

We agree there

You just said "he's not selling carbon offsets, he's selling carbon offsets". LOL

Actually a large number of republicans are on the GW bandwagon. Including Mr. McCain. You need to pay better attention.

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Here we go again...

Last time something like this was posted all it became was some sort of political bashing - back and forth....

How long before this thread gets locked?

13. montex macrumors regular

montex

That's funny, I really thought my BS in EE gave me pretty solid grounds for understanding the Scientific Method and empirical evidence in general. I guess I'd better switch on Fox news and become even more better edumacated.

14. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

The guys with phD's in the subject can't predict the weather more than 4 days in advance [...]

15. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

Common sense dictates that we don't wreck the planet, yes??

Anyone who feels we should wreck the planet, please stand up against the back wall and put on this blindfold.

That said, there are plenty of grey areas in which scumbag profiteers like to conceal themselves. Is it a fact that GW is both a) the fault of homo sapiens especially in the USA, and b) to be considered "wrecking the planet?" I think there's enough evidence to be highly concerned. This isn't like 911 where there are clear motives for concocting a big lie.

I'm naturally more suspicious of the person actively campaigning against the person shouting the sky is falling than the shouter just due to the Pascal's Wager type argument. People worry that these voices will garner enough support that our freedoms are infringed. Taken to the extreme I can see being worried about a clean air tax, but compared to a kill innocent women and children tax I'll freakin take it. (it sure seems those in favor of the latter are in opposition to the former)

16. montex macrumors regular

montex

Nobody has to be a climatologist to be able to employ critical thinking skills and evaluate research. As for being too stupid to predict the weather, I suggest you google "butterfly effect" and hopefully you will understand why the weather can never be accurately predicted more than a few days ahead.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Please note that we do not tolerate name calling or other ad hominem attacks on MacRumors. Please behave yourselves.

18. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

did no one else get this reference???

19. montex macrumors regular

montex

I got it. I'm a huge South Park fan. Loved the Imagination Land episode - starring ManBearPig!

20. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

We agree. This is precisely why man's effects on climate is from "settled science".

And my comments regarding EE not qualifying someone as a climatologist is not an insult nor meant to be such. I would think that would be classified as pointing out an obvious fact. My degrees in both EE and CS do not qualify me either. I'm not insulting myself.

But I have unsubscribed, and I salute the posters thus far. No animosity meant. But I heartily disagree with you. Being the foremost spokesperson, Al SHOULD be held responsible for his personal actions, and he is profiting directly from the stir that he creates.

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

There is a difference between weather and climate. This page has a good explanation of the difference.

22. numlock macrumors 68000

sorry is this apple´s world we live in or are they just like the rest of us inhabitants? What apple does does affect a lot more then just their staff and stockholders.

And please can you explain the bolded part? What are you basing this on?

Wasnt the macbook air advertised my apple as groundbreaking in terms of its environmental impact?

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

There's a substantial difference between weather and climate.

EDIT: .Andy beat me to it.

24. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

From the article it said:

>>This year, Gore again joined his fellow Apple directors, who unanimously opposed a binding bylaw amendment to authorize the board of directors to create a Board Committee on Sustainability which could ". . . initiate, review, and make policy recommendations regarding the company's preparation to adapt to changes in marketplace and environmental conditions that may affect the sustainability of our business. Issues related to sustainability might include, but are not limited to: global climate change, political instability, emerging concerns regarding toxicity of materials, resource shortages, and biodiversity loss."

What is wrong with policy recommendations Mr Gore?

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you have concerns about the behavior of another member of MR, please do one or more of the following:

- Contact that person directly if you feel it is appropriate
    - Contact a moderator or administrator by private message

We would appreciate it if you did not publicly call for banning or otherwise sanctioning other users in forum threads.

Thank you for your understanding; for those whose comments are no longer in this thread, I have brought them to the attention of the rest of MR team.

And with that, I think this thread is done. I'm spending too much time deleting vitriol from posts in here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.