apple aluminum keyboard small tear in outer white casing of usb cord

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sossity, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I recently bought a used full apple aluminum keyboard, but noticed the white outer casing of the usb cord has a couple of little tears in it from being wrapped around the keyboard for shipping, I can see the silver wire inside, is this dangerous like a frayed power cord? will it affect it's function? & could I just wrap some tape around it? what type of tape would be best?

2. iCaleb macrumors 6502

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Its not dangerous. USB doesn't carry enough current for you to even feel it. At my old job a ton of our keyboards had this and we used to grab the wires all the time to prove to the stupid people in the safety department that you can't get shocked from them.

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

As has already been advised - use some white electrical tape. In actual fact the braid you can see is at earth (ground) potential and is therefore perfectly harmless.

5. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

6. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I went to my local dollar store & all they had was black electrical tape but I found some white threads seal tape for sealing threaded joints of plastic or metal, will this work? it is 1/2" wide.

7. iCaleb macrumors 6502

8. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Thread seal tape really only sticks to itself, and even then it's not that sticky, more clingy.

Go to a different store. You must have a real store there...