Apple Always has something up it's sleeves firmware wise, what will it be this year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iFanaddic, Aug 25, 2014.

1. iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

We may have ios 8 beta out now but Apple usually keeps a few key functions out. Probably those that would give away the new hardware before the release.

Are we expecting anything new to pop up "softwarewise" in 2 weeks?

The only thing I could see being introduced with bigger screen iPhone is landscape function but I really doubt this would be the only thing distinguishing the iPhone 5S from the iPhone 6.

What do you think?

2. rman0726 macrumors regular

3. myforwik macrumors member

Not just firmware wise - but hardware wise.

3G got GPS.
    3GS got compass.
    4 got gyroscope + front camera.
    4s got GLONASS.
    5 got Lightning
    5s got touchid

What new hardware feature will 6 get?

Probably NFC.

There will be some sort of new siri type thing that only happens to work on iphone 6 of course.

4. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I really hope it's NFC and/or wireless charging. Neither are a huge deal but I'll be very disappointed if this health kick is the only "upgrade."

:apple:

5. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Well it would have to be...NFC requires a special chip in the hardware.

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

A barometer seems more likely than NFC at this moment - of course, both could happen though.

7. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

Thing about like the jump from the 4s to the 5. There wasn't much new iPhone 5 exclusive software/hardware feature besides that iOS would run on a bigger display and the standard improved camera features.

8. recoil80 macrumors 68020

Multiple users on the iPad, you unlock the device with your finger and it takes you to the right account, load bookmarks in Safari, your email accounts, facebook, twitter and so on. I think touch ID will make its way on the iPad this year, so it would be very convenient.
    That would be a great feature on the iPad, while I find it useless on the iPhone.

I don't think they'll introduce this feature in iOS 8 though :(

Maybe we'll see some more health-kit features based on new sensor, the barometer and maybe something else

9. kolax macrumors G3

I'll be hugely disappointed if there isn't wireless charging. And if there is, Apple better let me disable the vibration when charging initiates - does my head in. I work in a quiet office, and I sometimes charge my phone. Even with vibrate off, or do not disturb on, it still vibrates when I plug it in. Makes quite the noise my iPhone 5.

NFC would be nice too, but I can live without it.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not expecting much outside of the larger form factor - that and the thinner design. I think that will be the extent of the updates

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Then perhaps in lieu of "iPhone 6," it ought to be the "iPhone 5XL." :)

12. recoil80 macrumors 68020

Next iPhone will be too thin to have this feature right out of the box.
    Maybe it'll be possible with a special case, like Nokia 925 does. So they can sell you the phone AND the case. Go profits!

13. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I would be surprised if apple offers wireless charging. With a reversible USB plug on the way that doesn't seem to be where they are headed.

14. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Considering "wireless charging" isn't actually wireless and still requires a cable to be plugged in to an outlet and charging pad, the reversible USB cable could still have use - including as a sync cable when connected to a computer.

I'll yawn if "wireless charging" is the hidden feature. Waste of internal space.

Wake me up when I can walk into my house and have my phone charging TRULY wirelessly.

15. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

THAT'S what I'm talking about. Wireless charging with a range of at least 3-5 feet. That would be useful.

16. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

That would be incredibly wasteful. Once the phone is 3-5 feet away from the charger, the charger would have to output nearly 100 times as much power to charge the phone versus it being in contact with it. Inverse square law.

17. cynics macrumors G4

With that logic there will never be true wireless charging. The system that would charge through out your house will be connected via wires. The power to your house will come in on wires. Etc etc.

With current tech it's possible to charge by being in front of a wireless charger a few feet. So for example your phone charges being in front of a Mac monitor with the tech built in. Which is still connected via a wire btw. I still think we are a ways off from even seeing that.

18. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Hmmm, perhaps.

Maybe what I should say is I'm waiting for contactless wireless charging, along the lines of what you've described with an iMac. I've seen those patents around here.

19. cynics macrumors G4

There is a demonstration somewhere on YouTube using a modified iPhone that looked very promising but I can't find it right now. YouTube is so flooded with the current wireless charging method it's tough to find. I'll look for it when I get home to post up here.

My problem with it is I don't feel like buying a new iMac (if that's the way it's incorporated) nor do I sit in front of it enough. If that were the case I'd much prefer buying a couple much more portable charging mats. Be cool if the phone could do both! That way it's useful in the short and long term.

20. itjw macrumors 65816

Exactly right.

Why can't folks understand that that's the precise reason wireless charging will never be more than a novelty, as the output required (especially with it not being a low power (relatively) device) would be enormous? It's just not feasible yet, and will always be terribly inefficient even when there is a better delivery method. Not to mention the potential health risks that would go along with that much EMR output constantly flowing through the air (and if it was enough to charge a 3.7V lithium polymer battery in a few hours from more than a few inches a way, it'd be a LOT).

Not worth it either way.

NFC will be the new "feature". Along with some health related stuff (barometer maybe). TouchID will finally do more, and of course it'll be bigger, thinner, faster, and have fancier cameras.

There ya have it. Skip the announcement and just get in line now.

21. kolax macrumors G3

Being able to just place my phone down on a mat by my bed and it start charging would be very handy. Not to mention it could help pave the way for a future where we can charge our phones at an airport by placing them on most tables, rather than fighting over the limited power sockets and having to get your charger out your bag.

22. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Hmm, I'm thinking make it work with ALL Macs - including laptops.

May be problematic given laptops are always connected, but that's why you'd have settings and such. If you need extra juice, just power up the laptop and it'll send some rays your phone's way.

Cool to think about.

----------

Big table =/= small power mat.

The mats have been around for years. Never really appealed to me. Reversible cable makes it only slightly more difficult to plug your device in versus setting it down.

And you pay for the extra mat + you can't use the device while it charges unless you are sitting over it.

23. cynics macrumors G4

What about restaurants that incorporate wireless charging into their tables. I believe star bucks now has a few locations that do this.

Using the device is the same as I normally would use it when it's sitting on a table in front of me.

24. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Aye - the whole table concept works well.

I'm speaking about home use.

25. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

I agree, but the iPhone 5 was a different size and the lightning connector was added to replace the old connector too though.