Apple and Adobe receive backlash for... how to make a smile in a software demo

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FrankieTDouglas, Sep 10, 2015.

1. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

http://petapixel.com/2015/09/10/app...r-photoshop-fix-demo-that-made-a-woman-smile/

And then of course, they showed a series of people angry on Twitter. Because that's never happened before.

Are we really to the point in society now where a software demo on changing a neutral expression to a smile in a professional photograph, merits the outrage of the internet mob society? I don't even know why I have to ask. Nothing about this article is shocking now. This stupidity happens on a daily basis for seemingly anything at all.

Politically, I said two years ago that the growing outrage culture of at least in America, if not beyond, was creating a reaction that it would fittingly deserve. Low and beyond, Donald Trump is running away with the GOP nomination, and he flies in the face of the outrage culture. I'm not even surprised by how he's embraced as a welcomed change. A stupid society of constantly crying wolf has created the perfect storm for him to enter.

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    People getting kneejerk angry for kneejerk reasons that have been construed in the most kneejerking insulting ways possible. If it weren't for the doxing, the mob justice pile-ons, I'd ignore it for what it is: stupid people acting smug while fishing for attention.

On one hand, I can understand some of the ire and bile being thrown at it. The whole heavily Photoshopped beauty thing has gotten more than a little out of hand. On the other, this is a pretty innocent example of it, and hardly deserving of the Twitter rage we're seeing here.

3. samiwas macrumors 65816

I'm starting to think that's all America is becoming...finding something to bitch about so that we can have another 15 minutes of viral videos, and sensationalist media outlets can garner a few more clicks...aka profit. Well, that, and the whole "look at me" crowd, such as Kentucky whats-her-name.

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I highly doubt that model gives a crap, and nobody else should.

5. sim667 macrumors 65816

Retouching has been in the media print industry for years..... if people are naive enough to get in a furore about making a model smile, wait until they realise what they're really being sold as the ideal body, and how much computer work it takes to put that into print.

6. FieldingMellish Suspended

Envision throngs in the Coliseum of yore, angling for their thumbs up or thumbs down to be seen.

Social media puts the bully pulpit in everyone's hands and from the comfort of their homes, so the great unwashed have their say, thereby demonstrating they've got A holes.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

The US is now an outdoor looney bin with mostly trolls and freaks harassing each other.

Soon they even gonna wall themselves in. :p

Trump for president! :D

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

So we're outraged that some other people are outraged over an all-but-meaningless software demonstration?

Let it go people. Thats what social media is for. Its a pressure valve for people with nothing better to do to vent a little otherwise harmless steam at their pet irritations.

Back to watching cute cat videos for me.

9. FrankieTDouglas thread starter macrumors 65816

I wouldn't say I'm outraged. Just tired of the stupidity that reminds me more of junior high school than adult interactions. If people were just venting and it had no actual ramifications, that'd be awesome. Everyone go for it. Unfortunately, social media is also used as a weapon to dox, bully, and essentially create targets out of individuals to "run them out of society."

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This is what happens when liberals are in charge too long.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm 54, and I'll only have to put up with this stupidity for another ~30 years. You however, will have to endure social media for (I assume) a much, much longer time.

If you expect human beings to become smarter and more self-aware, you will be disappointed. I suggest that you grow a thicker skin, and understand that idiots are idiots, and they'll always be there reminding you of how idiotic some people can be.

The stupidity will never end ... at least in our lifetimes. You sir, are going to have to get used to it.

12. FieldingMellish Suspended

People are poised to pounce at the slightest provocation, ever vigilant; so attuned to division and in a constant state of emotional arousal. You can say there are a lot of shrill trigger fingers out there. Aided and abetted by hustlers and anarchists who gleefully stir the pot.

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I don't see how this is a big deal. A few people trolle twitter over it and that shockingly includes bored feminist reporters:rolleyes:. Several of these people have quite a few followers, yet none of the quotes generated that many retweets. I think calling it a backlash is overdone here, because relative to the number of people who watched the event, this falls under the noise threshold.

14. FieldingMellish Suspended

Sure, downplay it. But it ought be noticed and stated that part of it is resulting from leftist taught, or shall I say imposed dogma, onto the young in today's colleges.

Ever so fragile young are exposed to a lengthening list of everyday language deemed to be imbued with malevolent and "violent" intentions. And that use of the newly-charged terms will harm a person's grades.

All disparate groups of division politics now have their own lists of newly taboo words.

Small wonder people are ever vigilant and poised to pounce at the slightest provocation, such that a female countenance turned into a smile invites derision.

Read about it here.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The site focuses on digital imaging. At least two of those tweets were by people who regularly focus on gender issues. They didn't gain an enormous amount of recognition relative to their number of followers. I didn't set out to downplay it.

This might surprise you, but I'm not a fan of banning words.

I read through that before, and I reviewed it just now.

16. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I think it was an issue for about 24 hours. The internet outrage machine moved on to something else at least twice by now.

17. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Pretty soon the number of angry people on the internet is going to outnumber the number of stupid people on the internet.

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Aren't they often the same people?

19. unlinked macrumors 6502a

A bit of overlap for sure but angry people are usually a little more self aware.

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

It depends on what they're angry about, and how they're angry about it. For angry people on the internet, a Venn diagram showing the overlap between stupid and angry would look like two circles almost overlaid on top of each other. All you'd have are little slivers on the left and right for the exclusively angry, and the exclusively stupid.

Also, Venn Diagrams are rad.

21. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Venn diagrams are the $#^*

the_nature_of_PRSI.jpg

I am shaking my Venn diagram in outrage!

22. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Careful, they are fragile. Even seen what happens when a Venn diagram separates? Madness I tells you, madness. It could put our whole existence in danger and tear the very fabric of our reality asunder.

23. chown33 macrumors 604

I suspect this Venn diagram is in error. The "Outraged at Outrage" set should be shown as a proper subset of "Outraged", not an overlapping set (there should be no disjunct subset).

Rationale: What is the logical name of the "Outraged at Outrage" set that is disjunct from the "Outraged" set? If it's "Outraged at things other than Outrage", then it's still in the "Outraged" set, because members of that set have the "Outraged" property. If it's "Not Outraged at Outrage", it's also still in the "Outraged" set; that is, a member of the set is still outraged, just not at outrage itself. If the members of the disjunct subset aren't outraged at all, then they can't be in the set "Outraged at Outrage", since that consists only of members who:
    A) Are outraged.
    B) Are directing their outrage at a specific thing (outrage).
    The A property means that it's a member of the set "Outraged". The B property means it has an additional criterion that doesn't prevent membership in the "Outraged" set.

Just sayin'.

24. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Apparently it went Whoosh! right over your head, chown33.

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Naw. I think he took the joke in a deeper, more subtle direction.