Apple and China

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dvoros, Nov 1, 2018.

1. dvoros macrumors 6502

2. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

-----> $$$ is the reason why.

Candidly, I am not surprised but disappointed. I'm sure that top dogs at Apple are careful with their devices and what may be found etc. I know that within the ranks of Apple fans are those that are into environmentalism and China is at every level one of the worst offenders and as my friend now tells me, they legalized the use and imports of such items as rhino horns and more parts from endangered species. Apple makes a great case for "cool to tool" company business practices.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Here's why:
    From: https://www.macrumors.com/2018/10/29/apple-store-expansion-slows-in-china/

4. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

As I understand it. They legalized the use of Tiger and Rhino for traditional and modern medical uses. But the animals are supposed to come from farms setup for raising them. Which makes it easy for poachers to go after wild animals. For example, outside of DNA testing there is no way of telling a farmed rhino horn from a wild rhino horn.

5. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

One doesn't farm Rhino or Tiger for parts. Both (depending on where and which laws or stats) are endangered. This is all nonsense. China does what China wants and damn the consequences. For a nation with a few very smart individuals, you would think they learned from other people's past mistakes.

6. nnoble macrumors 6502

There is no functioning civil society in China. Whereas conservation and environmental issues are driven, largely from the bottom up in democracies, in China policy is almost entirely the preserve of government, or in effect, the Party. I think it’s important to place criticism where it’s due and in this case it should be targeted not at ‘China’, certainly not at Chinese in general but fairly and squarely at government who have other priorities. ‘Western’ governments also have priorities but they also have to respond to civil pressure which thrives, unlike in the PRC where it is largely suppressed.

7. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I am keenly aware there are different types of government. I am also aware that China as an international entity is a black hole when it comes to such markets as exotic animal parts. I certainly can put "fault" at both gov't and people given that it is not the gov't who is buying but the market remains with the people. It is however the gov't who can put laws in place governing such imports. So we will see this challenge differently.

8. VictorTango777, Nov 10, 2018 at 9:50 AM
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 10:09 AM

VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

Maybe other countries should start dealing in Panda parts :D

What's really disturbing is that countries would sooner legalize exotic animal parts for "modern" medicine (no known medicinal value) than marijuana for research and medical use.

Also waiting for Bible thumpers to argue that since the Bible gives man dominion over all animals, all of this is ok. Of course, it is understood that the Bible is specifically referring to USA as having dominion :D

9. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Apple is a corporation which cuddles the environment with feel-good messages when it suits their agenda. If you ask Tim Cook why he doesn't tell the Communist China Politburo leaders to free all political prisoners, free Tibet, and stop being a totalitarian anti-democracy dictatorship then I'm sure his face would go bright red like the Communist China flag.

10. Eraserhead, Nov 10, 2018 at 10:14 AM
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 10:21 AM

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Because China has only just started building concentration camps. Before ~2015 they didn’t exist.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2018 at 10:17 AM ---
    So is that back to the brutal medieval serfdom under the wing of Beijing?

By the way probably more Tibetans have mains electricity than native Americans these days.

11. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Sounds like you're saying you support the annexation of Tibet and having they people held under marshal law for 60 years.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yes. Because ordinary Tibetans have a better life now.