Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klmaj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Sorry people I'm a newbie, can I ask what is the issue with Adobe Flash? Why does flash not work on my laptop? What is the whole big deal here? Can't they reach some kind of agreement? Thanks.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Ummm flash does work on Macs-it doesn't work on iPhones or iPads and in any case Adobe themselves have killed off flash for mobile devices.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Flash does work in Mac OS X (the OS Macs use), if you have Flash installed.
As for Flash not being included on iOS, it is a resource hog (it needs lots of CPU power) and thus depletes the battery faster than every other method of playing back video.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Flash works on the computers, but apple decided not to allow it on iOS because it was buggy and resource intensive. While adobe disagreed with it, they were unable to port it over to android without it being buggy and resource intensive, so much so, they've now abandoned the mobile market for flash.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Sorry people I'm a newbie, can I ask what is the issue with Adobe Flash? Why does flash not work on my laptop? What is the whole big deal here? Can't they reach some kind of agreement? Thanks.
Yes it will work. It's just inefficient and can consume a lot of system resources. For Flash-related issues:
  • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
  • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
  • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.

klmaj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Yes it will work. It's just inefficient and can consume a lot of system resources. For Flash-related issues:
  • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
  • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
  • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.

Many many thanks for the tips and the replies. I love you all! :) Youtube5 is great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.