Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is working on dozens of original television shows and may also expand into feature films, with the company said to be close to signing a deal for an animated movie.

According to Bloomberg, Apple may soon sign a deal with Cartoon Saloon, an animation studio based in Ireland. While Cartoon's Saloon's movie has yet to be made, Apple is aiming to secure distribution rights for the United States and other countries.

It's unclear how Apple plans to make the movie available, but a theatrical release, necessary to qualify for Academy Awards, is possible, one of the people said. Apple and Cartoon Saloon had no immediate comment on Thursday.
Cartoon Saloon has previously produced Academy Award-nominated animated films including "The Secret of Kells," "The Song of the Sea," and "The Breadwinner."

Bloomberg warns that the talks have not yet finished and that the deal could still fall apart, but Apple's discussion with Cartoon Saloon suggests the company is interested in content beyond TV shows.

At the current point in time, Apple has established deals for at least 16 television shows, ranging from science fiction series "Amazing Stories" to podcast-based drama series "Are You Sleeping."

It is not yet clear how Apple's television shows (and potentially films) will be distributed, but it does have a TV app where it recently made one of its first shows, "Carpool Karaoke: The Series" available to watch.

The first of Apple's TV shows could see a debut as soon as 2019, though it's not known if the content will be free, available as part of Apple Music, or distributed through an as-of-yet unannounced video service.

Article Link: Apple Close to Inking Deal With Cartoon Saloon for Animated Movie

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I'll be curious how they ultimately end up being distributed. I hope that they allow for one off purchases, and don't require an Apple Music subscription to watch them. I don't want another subscription, but I am willing to buy any movies they make that appeal to me.

diego

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2003
Canada & Mexico
I'll be curious how they ultimately end up being distributed. I hope that they allow for one off purchases, and don't require an Apple Music subscription to watch them. I don't want another subscription, but I am willing to buy any movies they make that appeal to me.

What? they are not making movies. They are making TV shows just like Netflix and Amazon exclusives. This is the future of tv subscriptions: original and exclusive content... and people are pretty obsessed with consuming shows from Netflix in one sitting so, this could be successful. Oh and you will 100% need an Apple music/tv subscription for this.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I would imangine that they will launch on their streaming platform first and then later show up on the iTunes Store.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
What? they are not making movies. They are making TV shows just like Netflix and Amazon exclusives. This is the future of tv subscriptions: original and exclusive content... and people are pretty obsessed with consuming shows from Netflix in one sitting so, this could be successful. Oh and you will 100% need an Apple music/tv subscription for this.
The first sentence of the article talks about them possibly expanding into movies.
Apple is working on dozens of original television shows and may also expand into feature films, with the company said to be close to signing a deal for an animated movie.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Apple inking deal, Apple close to deal, Apple snagged "x" director.... Who cares until they start delivering these shows. Hot air until then.

I think you missed the fact that this is an Apple Rumors website... it means they report on Apple related things before they actually reach the level of being generally news worthy. There's a plausible reason to think something Apple related could happen, so that's good enough for it to go on MacRumors.

If you'd like only concrete news relating to Apple, I suggest you just visit Apple's press site. Anything that's completely solid that they're ready to talk about, they'll talk about there.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
What difference does it make if Apple is not making the movies, the article clear alludes to the fact they are interested in the distribution rights to the above yet to made movie.
Did you even read the article?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Those trailers make me want to gouge my eyes out. All that flat storytelling and earnest sorrow, the tragic events and lack of impactful dialog... unwatchable.

Reactions: Huck

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Out of curiosity, is the term 'close to inking a deal' a US term?
The only reason I ask is I see this term used a lot on new MacRumors posts, rather than 'close to signing a deal'

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Nice, im 27 and love The Secret of Kells & The Song of the Sea. Have not seen The Breadwinner, but if it keeps in line with the quality from the other films by Cartoon Saloon it going to be good.
Having this quality on the Apple TV will be great, hope they will do something interesting with mythos and folklore as their style fits so well for it.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
More Apple TV news...

yeah why not?

Huge lucrative business after all they need to monitize the box soon enough ;)

PS: that second video still reminds me SO much of that late 80's shocking cover of National Geographic

ea5be37b0f5c86720047e17aec6a5f88.jpg

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Well if you really think that would be good, but personally I wouldn’t watch that cartoon. Sounds like a terrible idea that not many people would enjoy.

Sorry man. Don’t worry, I’m sure somebody will look at your storyboards and consider hiring you. Just keep your chin up buddy and keep working hard. It’s only a matter of time.
This is the weirdest reply to a joke I’ve seen in a long time. It’s surreal. :confused:

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Well if you really think that would be good, but personally I wouldn’t watch that cartoon. Sounds like a terrible idea that not many people would enjoy.

Sorry man. Don’t worry, I’m sure somebody will look at your storyboards and consider hiring you. Just keep your chin up buddy and keep working hard. It’s only a matter of time.

I saw a post earlier than mine that was removed about the same topic. I had to keep it on topic with cartoon concept.

R2S2

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2018
Vienna
Who cares? I don't. I'm simply missing the time when Apple had something breathtaking to announce. Something that graphics and photo pros like me could not await to get their hands on, saving half of one's income to have it right in time when it's available. As far as I remember, thats a decade or two ago … Apple pros got lost - may it be Tim's fault, the iPhone generation's, or whatever. No Macbook capable of more than 16GB, no Mac Pro (pls forgive me when I say forget this iMac Pro crap with this f*** glossy display … have you ever worked on a Cinema Display hundreds years ago?), Aperture skipped, Final Cut crippled down to a "better" iMovie … But what's my option? Windows? NEVER! I've been on Mac for nearly 25 years for graphic design, illustration, photo editing and motion design. Either wait for another dozens of useless animojis, memojis, or whatever you call it, or get a cool Workstation – something like a Silicon Graphics … that was soooooo cooool (well I had one, YES!) … and trying to get macOS running somehow? Hmmm, on the other hand, maybe I should wait a little while longer - Federighi promised a new Mac Pro… Wow! Cool! That was 2017, no problem … I'm gonna wait for 2018 as it was stated. Oops, wrong - latest updated says it will be some launch point in 2019; well then it will be available in (late?) 2020. What the heck are approx. 123.000 employees doing SEVERAL YEARS? Creating new memojics I guess. Thank you, Apple

Last edited:

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Who cares?
Could be anyone who doesn’t care about this:
I don't. I'm simply missing the time when Apple had something breathtaking to announce. Something that graphics and photo pros like me could not await to get their hands on, saving half of one's income to have it right in time when it's available. As far as I remember, thats a decade or two ago … Apple pros got lost - may it be Tim's fault, the iPhone generation's, or whatever. No Macbook capable of more than 16GB, no Mac Pro (pls forgive me when I say forget this iMac Pro crap with this f*** glossy display … have you ever worked on a Cinema Display hundreds years ago?), Aperture skipped, Final Cut crippled down to a "better" iMovie … But what's my option? Windows? NEVER! I've been on Mac for nearly 25 years for graphic design, illustration, photo editing and motion design. Either wait for another dozens of useless animojis, memojis, or whatever you call it, or get a cool Workstation – something like a Silicon Graphics … that was soooooo cooool (well I had one, YES!) … and trying to get macOS running somehow? Hmmm, on the other hand, maybe I should wait a little while longer - Federighi promised a new Mac Pro… Wow! Cool! That was 2017, no problem … I'm gonna wait for 2018 as it was stated. Oops, wrong - latest updated says it will be some launch point in 2019; well then it will be available in (late?) 2020. What the heck are approx. 123.000 employees doing SEVERAL YEARS? Creating new memojics I guess. Thank you, Apple

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Does Apple need to spread it's wings so far into all these markets?? When Steve Jobs came back to Apple he did the right thing in simplifying their lineup of products. Apple has gone back to the pre-Steve era and their product line shows it. Apple needs to return to what brought it to the dance (so to speak). Get rid of Cook! We need a new Steve Jobs.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Does Apple need to spread it's wings so far into all these markets?? When Steve Jobs came back to Apple he did the right thing in simplifying their lineup of products. Apple has gone back to the pre-Steve era and their product line shows it. Apple needs to return to what brought it to the dance (so to speak). Get rid of Cook! We need a new Steve Jobs.

It’s ridiculous to expect the same strategy which worked for Apple back when it was teetering on the brink of bankruptcy to work on a modern-day Apple which is focused on growth and adding value to the whole ecosystem.

Just like how you don’t expect a millionaire to live the same way as a young teenager bumming around on his parent’s couch.

A video streaming service would help further differentiate Apple’s offerings. Being able to get news, music and video content via a single subscription fee would be an extremely compelling deal and entice more people to stay within the Apple ecosystem.

I’m convinced some people really do wish Apple was just a Mac company. Things will continue to get uncomfortable for this group given Apple’s product direction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.