Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced an update to its full-size iPad, upgrading its processor with a faster A6X chip and implementing the new Lightning connector that debuted with the iPhone 5. The new processor delivers up to two times the CPU and graphics performance of the prior chip, while maintaining 10 hours of battery life and the same design as the prior iPad.

ipad4.jpg

The new iPad now supports many new international LTE carriers, as well.

The fourth-generation iPad comes in black and white with the same pricing and storage configurations as the third-generation iPad models, starting at $499 for the 16 GB Wi-Fi models and $629 for the 16 GB cellular models.

Pre-orders for the new iPad begin on Friday, October 26 through the Apple Online Store in the US, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK.

The Wi-Fi configurations will begin shipping November 2, with the LTE configurations following two weeks later in the US, and then following in other countries.

Article Link: Apple Announces Fourth-Generation iPad with Lightning Connector, New A6X Chip

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
How big of difference is the A5 chip to 6?

I feel like it was punched in the mouth with this update just got new iPad

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Very angry, sorry.

I know my iPad does all the same it did, but I waited until the third gen, shelled out £649 for THE top end model, and it got 7 months on the market.

I play a lot of games, and my iPad is left behind before it even got a killer app.

Real Racing 3 ... *sigh*

Can't help but feel scunnered.

Spuddyboy

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Really annoyed with the next gen iPad announcement. They could have at least waited a year to announce it after the iPad 3.

MaxxTraxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Next time they decide to change the connecter, how about they do it at the same time?

Got to admit, sucks that the iPad 3 I bought is no longer the top of the line model.

Yetihunter

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
They basically just announced everything they wanted to come months ago. Tech had production issues last yer and all.

Gabik123

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2009
Really, 3rd gen already outdated...this is utterly rediculous. If I hadn't spent so much damn money on ipad apps already I would sell my ipad 3 and just leave them out to dry

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Not feeling amazed. So close, so very close with each sentence but in the end, just meh. A 4th gen iPad after I just bought the 3rd Gen? Really? Not getting another 800 bucks for a new connector and slightly faster chip. Maybe 5th gen, not this one.
Mini? With iPad 2 specs? Yea, it's cool, but not that amazing. I'm just feeling underwhelmed with all the updates, including my main one I was waiting for, the iMac. Maybe next update Apple.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Those of you who just bought the previously new iPad, you might be able to get a rebate. I don't know if it's still in effect, but I've taken advantage of a policy a few times in which I was able to get a rebate on something I bought within 14 days of the price changing. It's buried somewhere on their website.

Romey-Rome

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Wonder when they'll stop making the 3 & sell out. Going to claim my drop coverage in 6 months or so...

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
FFS.

I don't really expect any different, but this is the kind of thing that turns people away from brands to which they were once loyal. Not cool.

newportbeach

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2008
Are you kidding me? Apple didn't earn many points in my eyes today. Bought an iPad 3 four months ago and now it is outdated :mad: Apple should start some trade in program or do something. LAME My kids wanted an iPad mini for Christmas - NO WAY - just wait six months and it will get the retina display.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
There was a rumor months ago that the 4th generation iPad would be released this year. Most of you guys dismissed it and to be honest I didn't believe it myself. However, when the lightning connector was announced, it made a little more sense that they could use that as a good reason to shift the release date of the iPad from March to October, which would be better for holiday sales.

I almost bought a iPad 3 over the summer, but decided to wait...just in case. I decided that if no 4th generation iPad showed up in October, then I would just wait until March. Now, I don't wait that long.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.