Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At its media event today, Apple introduced the new iPhone 5s. In line with expectations, the iPhone 5s will be the same size and design and the current iPhone 5 but will feature improved specifications and will be available in three colors: Silver, Gold, and Space Gray.

iphone_5s_forward.jpg
Internally, the iPhone 5s will feature a 64-bit A7 processor that will be up to twice as fast at CPU tasks. Another significant new feature is a "Touch ID" capacitive fingerprint sensor built into the home button that's capable of scanning sub-epidermal skin layers. Touch ID can be used to unlock an iPhone and authorize iTunes purchases.
Built into the home button, Touch ID uses a laser cut sapphire crystal, together with the capacitive touch sensor, to take a high-resolution image of your fingerprint and intelligently analyze it to provide accurate readings from any angle. Setting up Touch ID to recognize your fingerprint is easy, and every time you use it, it gets better. The Touch ID sensor recognizes the touch of a finger so the sensor is only activated when needed, preserving battery life. All fingerprint information is encrypted and stored securely in the Secure Enclave inside the A7 chip on the iPhone 5s; it's never stored on Apple servers or backed up to iCloud. Touch ID can also be used as a secure way to approve purchases from the iTunes Store®, App Store or iBooks Store.
iOS developers will not get access to the users' fingerprint as a means of authentication, according to AllThingsD, which spoke to Apple SVP Phil Schiller. He declined to comment on whether that sort of access may come in the future.

touch_id_finger.jpg
The rear camera in the iPhone 5s has a new 5-element lens with an f/2.2 aperture and a sensor that is 15% larger than the current iPhone 5, as well as a dual-LED "True Tone" flash that will adapt to the existing lighting to provide better colors and more accurate skin tones. Other new camera features include Burst Mode, capable of capturing 10 pictures per second and automatically selecting the best shot, and Slo-Mo 720p video capture at 120 frames per second.

The company also launched a new line of $39 leather cases for the iPhone 5s.

The iPhone 5s will cost $199, $299, and $399 for the 16 GB, 32 GB, and 64 GB models respectively with a 2-year contract. Non-contract, unlocked devices will be available at launch for $649/$749/$849.

The iPhone 5s and the lower-cost iPhone 5c that was also announced today will be available in stores in the US, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, Singapore, and the UK starting on September 20.

Notably, there will be no preorders for the iPhone 5s.

Article Link: Apple Announces iPhone 5s With 'Touch ID' Fingerprint Sensor

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
That surely means the next iPads will be 64 bit. What incredible gaming machines they'll be.

And I hope somebody brings out an app to turn the camera's 20-image bursts into gifs.

The camera improvements are what will motivate me to buy. The speed improvements are awesome, considering these are really pocket computers. The touch ID is a convenience but without NFC it isn't important to me. Sounds like we'll need to wait another year before that comes.

Last edited:

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Day one buy for me, just for the A7 and better battery life, and the Space Gray color. :)

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
that black color should've been in the first place with the iphone 5.
reminisce of the iphone 4 design, and I like it!!

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
I'll be interested to see how scratch-resistant the backs are. That's clearly the reason they dropped the Slate in favor of "space grey."

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
If it comes to T-Mobile's new LTE Advanced network, I'm in line the second it's available.

I rather like the gold and space gray. The black... not so much.

Huh... No 128GB model, though. I wonder if this means NFC is also out, though I'd likely not use it.

Caseynd

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
ND, USA
Apple dropped the ball

I think sticking to the 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB storage was a miss, especially when flash storage keeps coming down in price....

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
wish they made the jump to 128GB phone

i guess since other phones come out with such crappy numbers they didn't feel need to raise it up

:(

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
Interesting to hear the claim that Fingerprint data will not be uploaded to iCloud or accessed by other App's.

I wonder if this decision was made pre or post 'Snowdon'? In any case it is good new's if it is true, as this would have been a deal breaker for me.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
I think sticking to the 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB storage was a miss, especially when flash storage keeps coming down in price....

i think you should just be glad they arent still charging for a 4GB.

the innovators at apple havent got a clue

alksion

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA

Then what would they have to market with the iPhone 6? Maybe a redesign, but new storage flavors will definitely help the marketing side of things.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
I understand Apple wants customers to use iCloud, but I prefer to keep my files on the phone. They really should have dropped the 16GB option and gone with 32/64/128. Thanks Phil, but I'll "soldier on" with my iPhone 5. :rolleyes:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Being an iPhone user since standing in line on June 29th 2007, and having owned every single iPhone since then, and being the biggest Apple fan out of everyone I know—I'm going to pass on this one. The fingerprint thing is cool, and 64-bit is nice and all, but I've never used my iPhone 5 and thought that it was slow. It will be interesting to see what developers do with the M7 processor. This is a solid upgrade for those who haven't upgraded in a while, but I don't see many iPhone 5 users upgrading this time around.

Here's to hoping for a liquid-metal iPhone 6 with a 4.5–4.7" (wider not taller) display, further improved camera, NFC wallet for mobile payments, and 802.11ac, and 32/64/128GB at current price points. I'm not saying that the 5S should have had all of these features, but I'm hopeful that the iPhone 6 will have many of these features.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
So they get rid if the iPhone 5 make a 5c and 5s and make the 4s free wow. Keeping the 4s and cut the 5 I don't get it. Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.