Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its iMac lineup, dramatically reducing the thickness of the desktop machines and adding a brand new Fusion Drive that combines flash storage and a traditional disk-based hard drive to maximize both speed and capacity.

newimc.jpg
The iMac will come with both 21.5-inch and 27-inch displays, and includes a new fully laminated design to improve optical quality and a new anti-reflective coating.
Redesigned from the inside out, the new iMac packs high-performance technology into an aluminum and glass enclosure with up to 40 percent less volume than its predecessor and an edge that measures just 5 mm thin. Built with an unprecedented level of fit and finish, the new iMac delivers an amazing desktop experience in a gorgeous design. The new iMac also features a completely reengineered display that reduces reflection by 75 percent while maintaining brilliant color and contrast. In the new design, the cover glass is fully laminated to the LCD and an anti-reflective coating is applied using a high-precision plasma deposition process. Every iMac display is individually color calibrated using an advanced spectroradiometer.
The 21.5-inch iMac starts at $1,299 in the US, and includes a with a 2.7 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor, 8 GB of RAM, and a 1 TB hard drive. The 21.5" model should begin shipping in November.

The 27-inch iMac starts with a 2.9 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, 8 GB of RAM, and a 1 TB hard drive starting at $1,799 and shipping in December.

Article Link: Apple Announces Lighter, Thinner iMac Models with Fusion Drive

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I just bought my iMac in January but this new design is a must-have for me. Luckily, Macs have great resell value so my outta pocket expense won't be too bad.

This machine is love at first sight. I cannot wait to meet her in person.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
When Phil swapped the photo from the 2012 iMac to the older 2011 iMac my jaw dropped into my neighbors apartment.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
The RAM doesn't appear to be user-upgradable - the DIMMs are not at the bottom of the case, or so it looked in the cutaway graphic, and there is access panel in the back

tungstentim

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
The RAM doesn't appear to be user-upgradable - the DIMMs are not at the bottom of the case, or so it looked in the cutaway graphic

I hope that's not the situation, as ill end up buying the previous/current model.

I don't need a thin machine, it's going on a desk.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
The new iMac is indeed gorgeous. However I wonder how many folks are aware that the Fusion drive isn't exactly a brand new concept. A quick google search revealed several posts on blogs and social media that were lauding Apple for its "innovation" of the Fusion concept, yet I've had a Momentus XT hybrid drive in my MBP for almost two years.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Really really pumped about the new design etc. Too bad I won't get one till December..... :eek:

----------

The new iMac is indeed gorgeous. However I wonder how many folks are aware that the Fusion drive isn't exactly a brand new concept. A quick google search revealed several posts on blogs and social media that were lauding Apple for its "innovation" of the Fusion concept, yet I've had a Momentus XT hybrid drive in my MBP for almost two years.

While the concept is similar to your hybrid drive, it's not exactly the same. The technology comes from Intel, the SSD and HDD are 2 separate drives

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
Really really pumped about the new design etc. Too bad I won't get one till December..... :eek:

----------

While the concept is similar to your hybrid drive, it's not exactly the same. The technology comes from Intel, the SSD and HDD are 2 separate drives

Of course its not the same, I understand that. My point is that the concept is not new (which you pointed out as well).

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Bets on how long until someone clever unlocks the Fusion drive software in Mountain Lion so anyone with a SSD and a HDD can do the same thing?

mganai

macrumors member
May 24, 2011
Of course its not the same, I understand that. My point is that the concept is not new (which you pointed out as well).

The flash in hybrids is used typically for cache.

Apple, instead, is going the whole nine yards: using the SSD for OS and apps as well, while data goes in the HDD.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Bets on how long until someone clever unlocks the Fusion drive software in Mountain Lion so anyone with a SSD and a HDD can do the same thing?
You will probably need an Apple branded SSD and an iMac hardware number. If you want to try to fake it using the iMac's build of OS X.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Did they remove the FW800 port too? I have 4 FW enclosures on the floor connected to my 2011 iMac. Guess I won't be upgrading until Thunderbolt prices come down to my level.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
This is exactly what I want to know. My iMac already has built-in SSD and HDD and I would love to have the OS manage the two drives as one.

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
Epic fail.

It's not a new design, it's just thinner. There's no optical drive, which kills it for me. When I use Windows on Bootcamp it means having to have an external optical drive on my desk to load certain programs or play DVD or BD movies in my collection, thus defeating the purpose of having an all-in-one machine. Another external device to add to my modem, external HDD, speakers, etc.

No optical drive

No new stand design

No retina display

No upgradability

No touch screen

No exterior design change (e.g. same chin)

No difference in available sizes

This is essentially little more than a spec bump with a thinner screen. I don't need a thinner screen. The only possible appealing feature is the 75% less reflective AG coating.

FAIL.

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I like the design from an aesthetic standpoint, but I believe a 2013 Haswell-based 13" MacBook Air connected to my Apple Thunderbolt Display will be the replacement for my 2011 iMac.

macleod199

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
The flash in hybrids is used typically for cache.

Apple, instead, is going the whole nine yards: using the SSD for OS and apps as well, while data goes in the HDD.

It's still a cache. A bigger one, perhaps, but it's exactly the same concept. Especially given that it's determining what to load into automatically - we'll see how well that works!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.