Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios6.jpg

At today's media event, Apple announced that iOS 6, which had announced in June at the company's WWDC keynote event, will be available on September 19th.

iOS 6 will offer several new features. Siri will be enhanced to provide movie information, sports scores, and the ability to post to Facebook and Twitter. The new Passbook app will hold tickets, passes, and payment cards for participating businesses. Safari will have a full-screen mode for better browsing and iCloud tabs to save your open tabs and offer immediate access to them on your other iOS devices and your computer.

Maps app will provide turn-by-turn directions and a new 3D flyover feature to show a more realistic view of buildings and land features. Facebook will be integrated into iOS 6, with the ability to post Photo Stream pictures straight to the social networking service  and status updates through Siri.

iOS 6 will be available as a free download for the 4S, 4, 3GS, new iPad, iPad 2 and 4th generation iPod Touch. The iPhone 5 will ship with iOS 6.

Article Link: Apple Announces September 19th Release Date for iOS 6

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
Aww. Why'd you delete the comments about the 'xxx' mystery date? A lot of folks around here were getting quite creative with it and gave me a chuckle.

September 19th marked!

JTyler82

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
Aww. Why'd you delete the comments about the 'xxx' mystery date? A lot of folks around here were getting quite creative with it and gave me a chuckle.

September 19th marked!

It's ok. I'll be here all night. Tip your Geniuses

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
The only thing in iOS6 that is of any interest to me is not needing a password to update apps.

Other than that it's a pretty poor update to the os compared to previous updates

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Speaking about the OS... So now developers have to account for iOS devices with either the older Cortex SOC's like in the 3GS, A4, A5, A5X, or A6 processors, all of which have markedly different performance, 480x320, 940 X640, 1136X640, 1024x768, or 2048x1536 displays amongst multiple screen sizes, and, fragmented firmware versions as some users are still stuck on iOS 3 or 4, many iPad 1 users on iOS 5, and some now migrating to iOS 6, but wait, this is not fragmentation at all…. How funny that Apple bashed Android every time, but goes and does the same thing…

distemp

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2011
speaking about the os... So now developers have to account for ios devices with either the older cortex soc's like in the 3gs, a4, a5, a5x, or a6 processors, all of which have markedly different performance, 480x320, 940 x640, 1136x640, 1024x768, or 2048x1536 displays amongst multiple screen sizes, and, fragmented firmware versions as some users are still stuck on ios 3 or 4, many ipad 1 users on ios 5, and some now migrating to ios 6, but wait, this is not fragmentation at all…. How funny that apple bashed android every time, but goes and does the same thing…

u mad?

million7

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2011
Florida
Judging by the pricing of the new ipod touches, I'm guessing that the ipad minis will not be competitively priced against the kindle fires and nexus 7s.

RayK

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
I'm happy that the 4s will get the panorama mode. Looks like its really just hardware that holds back features now. Maybe the outcry about the 3GS earlier this summer helped that out.

Edit:
http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/

6. Panorama is available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, and iPod touch (5th generation).

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Speaking about the OS... So now developers have to account for iOS devices with either the older Cortex SOC's like in the 3GS, A4, A5, A5X, or A6 processors, all of which have markedly different performance, 480x320, 940 X640, 1136X640, 1024x768, or 2048x1536 displays amongst multiple screen sizes, and, fragmented firmware versions as some users are still stuck on iOS 3 or 4, many iPad 1 users on iOS 5, and some now migrating to iOS 6, but wait, this is not fragmentation at all…. How funny that Apple bashed Android every time, but goes and does the same thing…

I do not think that word means what you think it means...

RHustler

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2012
Edinburgh, Scotland
Yes to the 3GS but not the iPad 1?

So iOS6 is will run on the 4 year old 3GS but not the 2 year old 1st gen iPad?

My wife's 3GS is about to get replaced anyway, but I continue to use my iPad1 as I work in secure areas that deny access to devices with cameras (so there's no point in me getting a newer iPad).

Almost the same problem Android users have with the "will my device get the next OS update?" lottery :mad:

JTyler82

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
[/COLOR]

Ok, good, it looks like the 4s is getting everything. That's all I wanted.

Same here. I was gonna throw down money for a 5, but don't really think it's worth it now. It's nice they are thinking about those of us who purchased almost a year ago.

teknishn

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2006
So iOS6 is will run on the 4 year old 3GS but not the 2 year old 1st gen iPad?

My wife's 3GS is about to get replaced anyway, but I continue to use my iPad1 as I work in secure areas that deny access to devices with cameras (so there's no point in me getting a newer iPad).

Almost the same problem Android users have with the "will my device get the next OS update?" lottery :mad:

Please. The iPad 1 is pushing three years old now. If you're on Android you're lucky if your six month old device gets new OS within a year if at all.

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Austin
i hope it will be jailbroken a few days after it comes out. i don't want to lose my siri on my iphone 4. i won't upgrade until it is jailbroken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.