Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple and Beats today announced a new line of wireless Beats by Dre headphones powered by Apple's new W1 chip. The chip allows the new headphones, like Apple's new AirPods, to take advantage of easy, instant pairing to an iPhone.

beats-800x378.png

The new Beats Solo3, Powerbeats3 and BeatsX can be paired to an iPhone by powering them up and holding them near an iPhone. The headphones will pair with your iPhone and simultaneously connect to your Apple Watch and Mac.

The Solo3 and Powerbeats3 are updates to Beats' two signature lines of headphones: the over-the-head casual listening Solo line and the athletically-focused Powerbeats line. The BeatsX, however, are a new line of headphones aimed at being a more mobile everyday pair of headphones.

All three headphones come with Fast Fuel, a fast-charging solution that can deliver more power with 5 minutes of charging. 5 minutes of charging delivers 3 hours of playback for the Solo3, 2 hours of playback for the BeatsX and an hour of playback for the Powerbeats3.

The Solo3 headphones are available for $299 on Apple.com. The Powerbeats3 and BeatsX will be available for $199 and $149, respectively, later this year.

Article Link: Apple Announces New Line of Beats Headphones With W1 Wireless Chip

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
NO to removing the 3.5mm audio jack. You can leave those fancy AirPods to the portrait video shooting generation.​

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
I like that the Solo 3s have 40 hour battery life (compared to the 12 of the Solo 2) but if they don't allow you to use them battery free I'll stick with the ones I have.

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
How much you want to bet Apple will block wireless headphones that have not been licensed to use the W1 chip?

Textime

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2016
For those of you who were hoping for new Macs I feel deeply sorry for you. Even if I don't care about Macs. You were always mentioning it.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
And it looks like they all still use micro USB for charging...ugh. I'm very surprised they didn't do Lightning for that.

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
Block how??

As in not allowing Bluetooth devices that aren't Apple/Beats? That's a firm no. Silly idea at best.

Well, i have an Apple USB SuperDrive drive here which won't even start under Windows. Though it's just a simple DVD drive.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Well, i have an Apple USB SuperDrive drive here which won't even start under Windows. Though it's just a simple DVD drive.

Completely different concept. You'd have to strip out the Bluetooth API in iOS to block the usage of regular bluetooth headphones. Windows just doesn't have the drivers available to it for the Superdrive unless you use boot camp.

Not to mention the complete violation of anti-trust laws.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
I just ordered the beats solo3 but I must laugh. Apple is including a 3.5 mm plug and not lightning

RDeckard

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
NO to removing the 3.5mm audio jack. You can leave those fancy AirPods to the portrait video shooting generation.​

No kidding! Oh hold on. Someone’s calling my land line and call waiting is clicking. I think my modem is going to drop………. #*(&*(&#JKLH889u3klj&*(#il#y879#HIUA#hiu #*& 7#&**&#H&*H*#&

sualpine forgot to yell: GET OFF MY LAWN, YOU LITTLE WHIPPERSNAPPERS!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: sualpine

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I am just catching up with all of the announcements. Is it for certain that W1 is Bluetooth?
Is it Bluetooth 5?
Or some proprietary variant?
Was there definite confirmation that W1 = the Bluetooth standard?

Sorry if this is already covered somewhere else.

I'm a little confused also. If you look here at the specs, it looks like just plain old BT.

Connect via Class 1 Bluetooth with your device for wireless listening

If you scroll down to the compatibility section is lists about every Apple BT device ever all the way back to the first iPhone. So I'm confused about what this M1 chip is adding to the picture?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.