Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Arcade on Tuesday began appearing on Apple TVs running the latest tvOS 13 beta GM build, following the official launch of the gaming subscription service last week in tandem with the release of iOS 13.

apple-arcade-devices.jpg

Beta testers and developers took to Twitter to share the news in the early hours of this morning, although it's still unclear whether the gaming service is rolling out to all Apple set-top boxes running the Golden Master candidate, or just those in certain locations.

As the image below demonstrates, Apple Arcade on Apple TV features a native interface optimized for television screens, and currently sports a 'Try it Free' button promoting the service's one-month free trial available to everyone.

Games on Apple Arcade are supported by Made for iPhone game controllers along with PS4 and Xbox controllers, and Apple has built controller support into tvOS 13, so users won't need to rely on the Apple Remote to get playing.

The service's launch on tvOS is also hotly anticipated because Apple Arcade supports multiple platforms, so you'll be able to start a game on, say, your iPhone, and then swap over to Apple TV without losing your place.

Apple Arcade is finally on Apple TV (GM build)! Time to try out my new console... pic.twitter.com/zF4FZHMcAJ - Tyler Loch (@TylerLoch) September 24, 2019

When Apple Arcade first became available, there were just over 50 games available, but more titles have already been rolling out. Apple says that new Apple Arcade titles will be coming out on a weekly basis, with at least 100 games in the works.

Apple Arcade is priced at $4.99 per month, and allows up to six family members to access games through Apple's Family Sharing feature. It's currently only available on iPhone, but will officially roll out to iPad and Apple TV when the public releases of iPadOS and tvOS 13 arrive on Tuesday, September 24. A Mac launch is likely to arrive in October. For more information, check out our dedicated Apple Arcade guide.

Article Link: Apple Arcade Appears on Apple TVs Running Latest tvOS 13 Beta

Last edited:

HMFIC03

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2011
Tokyo
Must be regional - I got the public beta of 13GM last night and it arcade wasn’t available yet

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Please release macOS Catalina today as well. That's if they've fixed the bugs that this update seems to have more of.

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
I wonder when the tvOS 13 official release is going to drop. I’ve got my DualShock 4 v2 ready to go. Bring on Oceanhorn 2!

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
I guess it's not worth getting current get Apple TV as of today, right? I mean is there an updated version planned to be released "soonish" ?

Reactions: Sasparilla

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Interesting this is going across all the platforms. This is becoming a tempting offer.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
I guess it's not worth getting current get Apple TV as of today, right? I mean is there an updated version planned to be released "soonish" ?

There was a rumor that ATV would get a hardware update to the A12 SoC. However, if you look at graphics benchmarks for the A10X in the current 4K ATV vs the A12, there's not a big gap between the two. The advantage for Apple with using the A12 would be that it's not using PowerVR licensing anymore since the GPU in the A12 is Apple's own in-house design.

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
There was a rumor that ATV would get a hardware update to the A12 SoC. However, if you look at graphics benchmarks for the A10X in the current 4K ATV vs the A12, there's not a big gap between the two. The advantage for Apple with using the A12 would be that it's not using PowerVR licensing anymore since the GPU in the A12 is Apple's own in-house design.
It was also an extremely sketchy unvetted rumor that was created by someone who didn’t know what they were doing.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Anyone know if they're going to handle multiple users? "Continuing saves on your TV" sounds great and all, but there are 5 people in my house.

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
All the saved files are store in iCloud, and in tvOS 13 you can switch iCloud account by keeping the home button down and selecting iCloud account you want.

Reactions: tfredvik

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
Anyone know if they're going to handle multiple users? "Continuing saves on your TV" sounds great and all, but there are 5 people in my house.

Doesn’t tvOS 13 have multi user support baked into the OS? I’m assuming that means if you change users, the game should access a different Game Center account.

Reactions: andsoitgoes

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009

"Access for up to six family members" is what Apple has posted on their Apple Arcade page.

Classie

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2018
Sweden
Apple needs to launch a game pad to show that they intend to be serious on the gaming scene. The compatible PS4 and XBox should just be an awesome bonus

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
"Access for up to six family members" is what Apple has posted on their Apple Arcade page.
Right, that's fine for each family member having their own device, but what about shared devices like AppleTV? Can you change your gamecenter login on it? Maybe you already can, I don't really plan games on my AppleTV right now.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Right, that's fine for each family member having their own device, but what about shared devices like AppleTV? Can you change your gamecenter login on it? Maybe you already can, I don't really plan games on my AppleTV right now.
Yes, they added multiple accounts to Apple TV (also handy for the tv app, etc.). It’s done globally - you change your account at the home screen level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.