Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Yeah who needs indie games when you can just buy more "AAA" titles like Fallout76, Anthem, yet another CoD skin, Farcry, (ALL of which were terribly received) or one of the various $100+ editions of whatever "AAA" title is about to come out that includes all the missing story you get dinged for above that $60 in the form of DLC?
As I said in the other thread, wait a few years and get them for $5.

Should still beat current mobile games in terms of graphics.

And you don't need the latest super powerful GPUs to run them this way.

Reactions: macfacts

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Just because it’s something you don’t see value in doesn’t mean it’s stupid.

I have zero need or desire for the services you mentioned, but I can see how others might.

The Arcade concept, though, I especially with Apple funding some of the development effort of those games, is something I can definitely see myself taking advantage of.

Not stupid, just not for you.
The thing is that all of the newer gaming streaming services, instead of Apple innovating and bring real competition to them, they bring this? iPhone isn't a great gaming platform for long periods of time for short battery life reasons.

Apple66

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
Boston, USA
Apple needs to understand that it will take much more than just solely depending on Indie games. Otherwise it is going to show the world they are very inexperienced in gaming. Not saying I am against mobile games, as I am a fan of Monument Valley. But they need to treat the Apple Arcade service like the iBooks store. Offering a wide range and similar titles that is already available in other places.

As mentioned in the other post, if Nintendo really join forces with Apple, it would certainly make a historical moment in gaming. A way to make this possibly work would involve something that has never been done before. For example, if the Switch retail price is $299. Nintendo could charge the same cost by building a Switch emulator baked into iOS. Where the user pays the same price to unlock it. And instantly the entire library on Nintendo’s eShop will be accessible to millions of people without impacting hardware sales. Also Nintendo can make more money if they build Joy-Con controllers specifically designed for iPhones. For the iPad, that can easily be solved by having their Switch Pro Controller paired with it.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
I can’t believe they didn’t create their own controller for this. MFI controllers are lackluster and expensive. Not to mention, unavailable on Amazon (most are no longer sold).

Apple could be a rival to Nintendo, when it comes to family focused game content. They always seem to screw up games....but Arcade looks promising, even with its few misfires.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
And the controller is?...
purchase-gallery-template-nimbus__hero.png__1850x800_q100_crop-scale_optimize_subsampling-2.png

[doublepost=1553671181][/doublepost]I'll be getting this for Beyond a Steel Sky alone. Beneath a Steel Sky and its HD remake were fantastic games with a well formed, lived in universe. It's a shame more content in that hasn't been released.

AngstyKylo

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2018
London UK
Although there’s plenty of people that this will appeal to, there’s another plenty that this is useless to. It’ll be interesting to see how this one plays out. News+ will probably fail, TV+ looks nothing like a “Netflix killer” at all. That said, out of all of the services announced, Arcade is the only one I can see surviving. If priced right.

If I was a parent I could see letting my child play these games on the upcoming iPod as they don't require Internet, purchases, induce gambling type behaviour etc. At the same time why would you get this over a Switch? Which I think this is targeting.

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
Apple is teaming up with both indie developers and big name gaming companies to create "new and exclusive" games for the Apple Arcade service.

- Beyond a Steel Sky - Beyond a Steel Sky is a remake of 90s sci-fi point and click game Beneath a Steel Sky. Players take on the role of Robert Foster, navigating through a dystopian city ruled by an AI and solving challenging puzzles.
So by "new and exclusive" you mean "pay Apple some money to play a game that came out in 1994"? (oh and is officially freeware as of August 2003)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beneath_a_Steel_Sky

money well spent I'd say.
[doublepost=1553690645][/doublepost]
I hope among those games there are some awesome metroid vania, a dark souls or Path of exile like game.
Dark Souls has a "Mature 17+" rating (as do many AAA games actually); I don't think you'll be seeing anything like that.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/Synopsis.aspx?Certificate=31419&Title=Dark+Souls

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
The post apocalypse game looked interesting but not worth a years subscription at god knows what Apple price they pull out of thin air.

You know you can subscribe for one month and play that game you like, right? Heck, Apple probably give you one free month anyway. :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1553690929][/doublepost]
This is one of those things I might sign up for every now and then for a month here or there.

That’s my plan as well. :p

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
The funny thing about most of these comments is that people are actually complaining that Apple has provided funding for 100 new and different games that are not F2P and will be playable on EVERY platform Apple sells...iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and MacOS laptops/desktops. "I don't like F2P" and "why can't I play the game on a larger screen" are two of the biggest criticisms on these forums for mobile games.

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA
That sixth app has its character striking a pose that is very similar to Link in Zelda: BotW. Even his blue top and hair style is similar.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017

Apple is subsidizing many of these games and contributing to the development costs to create them.

FINALLY. Unfortunately it's games where I get to see this word for the first time, but ***** finally. Apple should be using its ungodly amounts of money to be subsidizing all kinds of efforts in all kinds of industries, to stimulate better experiences for the platform.

I was hoping to hear that Apple was going to subsidize vod subscriptions to reign in the out of control ala carte subscription market, but alas they did not.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Isn't every second you spend in every game being tracked to determine payment sharing?

You can do so anonymously. In fact, as a developer myself I can monitor all of that info using Unity Analytics without you (user of my app) ever knowing.

I never realized how much info we don’t get to consent to sharing until I got into development myself. At least it’s anonymous.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
No wonder so many of those developers on the video during the presentation were saying things like “we’d never have been able to develop this without Apple Arcade”.

I think I like the idea of game studios being able to go above and beyond due to subsidized assistance.
Of course! This is Apple actually reinvesting its cash horde into the business in a way that makes sense. Every industry that is connected to the Apple platform could do well with some artificial stimulation in the form of a platform-owner subsidy. Is it "fair"? No. Not at all. But things have been "fair" for a long time and the quality is dwindling. It needs a shot in the arm, and that is what Apple is giving it.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
So the single old Doom title mentioned at the Stadia announcement appeals to you more than 100+ titles?
Sometimes, ONE is enough.
[doublepost=1553697946][/doublepost]Hmm. I don’t see this coming to Chinese market and Japanese market and becoming popular, especially when many of their games are freemium games anyway. On the other hand, it would be extremely cool if I can spend only $12.99/mo to gain a significant discount of those in-game currencies.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I'm not really a heavy gamer anymore so this actually sounds great for me. I can see them releasing a new ATV at the launch of this. The new ipad pro's have the GPU equivalent of an xbox one S. If they put their next gen chip in a new ATV this could make it quite competitive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.