Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
So long as people are stupid enough to pay the prices, Apple will continue to milk them for every last penny.

Be sure to read the "non OEM bands" thread in the Apple Watch accessory sub forum where you can see some nice pics of the "reasonably priced" knock off bands failing already in less then a month.

Apple is selling known, guaranteed quality. That costs money. They are reasonably priced by the standards of other quality watchbands.

lugworm

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2011
UK
They are reasonably priced by the standards of other quality watchbands.

They are not reasonably priced. They are hugely overpriced, and aimed at gullible "brand" snobs.
High pricing can be argued for an imac, an ipad or an iphone because these products are generally better quality than their non-apple counterparts.
But please...a watch strap ?

ivandr

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
They are not reasonably priced. They are hugely overpriced, and aimed at gullible "brand" snobs.
High pricing can be argued for an imac, an ipad or an iphone because these products are generally better quality than their non-apple counterparts.

I don't think I'll say anything to convince you, but handling, wearing and seeing the Apple link bracelet I immediately got a sense of the caliber of machining and fit that goes into each of these links and into the bracelet as a whole. It may be silly expensive, but you're getting a really, really well built product as a result of what you pay. If you're ever near an Apple store, stop by and ask to try on the link bracelet and use that experience to look at and feel it first hand. I think you might be impressed (I was for sure).

(And ^ being said, I totally know that Apple has a sizable profit margin in their pricing of anything they sell... I don't fault them for that. It is a corporation and its doing exactly what it should be doing, producing and selling items to customers and making a profit to meet shareholder expectations... people hate on Apple because they do this exceptionally well, but that's akin to hating Alexander Graham Bell [inventor of the telephone] because we get telemarketing calls today)

Reactions: haruhiko and Bromeo

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
I don't think I'll say anything to convince you, but handling, wearing and seeing the Apple link bracelet I immediately got a sense of the caliber of machining and fit that goes into each of these links and into the bracelet as a whole. It may be silly expensive, but you're getting a really, really well built product as a result of what you pay. If you're ever near an Apple store, stop by and ask to try on the link bracelet and use that experience to look at and feel it first hand. I think you might be impressed (I was for sure).
I agree that the link bracelet is very well designed and manufactured. It is the other bands that are priced in la-la land.

The link bracelet may also be priced in la-la land relative to other comparably engineered bands in the world, but I do not have a frame of reference. In my opinion, the band is over-engineered and not worth $450 to me. However, I found an exceptionally well-made, similarly styled SS band for $100. It looks great and is worth it to me at a fraction of the cost.

The general problem I see in all the bands is that I regard them as throw-away items. Unlike a band for a traditional watch that you might wear for many years, the AW bands will likely see a couple years of service before Apple changes the physical interface. Since I plan to upgrade my watch with every new release, my bands are only going to last until the case changes. I am not anticipating that the bands will have any material value in the used market.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The bands are worth what people are willing to pay for them. If nobody buys Apple's bands because they think they're too overpriced the prices will come down.

zetaplus93

macrumors regular
May 7, 2015
The general problem I see in all the bands is that I regard them as throw-away items. Unlike a band for a traditional watch that you might wear for many years, the AW bands will likely see a couple years of service before Apple changes the physical interface. Since I plan to upgrade my watch with every new release, my bands are only going to last until the case changes. I am not anticipating that the bands will have any material value in the used market.

A quick point of comparison: For one $3,000 luxury watch, an Authorized Dealer charges about $900 for the bracelet alone (i.e. you broke the bracelet that came with it and need to replace it). This price is overpriced in my opinion--$600 is probably more reasonable.

Comparing it against the Link bracelet, quality-wise, I'd say the Link bracelet is on par. The Link bracelet is thinner, but in terms of fit and finishing, it's about the same. The construction of the links is solid and the connections are tight--if you try to bend the bracelet sideways, it doesn't flex much (one measure of the quality of SS bracelets for traditional watches).

I also initially thought the Link bracelet wasn't on par in terms of quality (compared to traditional watches), but after having worn it for over 2 weeks, it's actually pretty good quality and the price isn't crazily overpriced IMHO. Of course, I'm also used to watch prices (which are generally overpriced...), so it all depends on what your expectation is. My belief is that Apple is charging approximately the same as other luxury watchmakers for its bands ($50 for the excellent sports band is actually pretty decent pricing).

Having said all that, I would've said a decent price is somewhere around $300-$350. But hey, it's Apple, so they're going to charge high prices. But quality is there.

Reactions: haruhiko

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
The bands are worth what people are willing to pay for them. If nobody buys Apple's bands because they think they're too overpriced the prices will come down.

They won't. Apple will just stop selling some of band not generate enough $$$ revenue, and only sell few model come along with watch.
Apple has never play low cost product game, and they have no intention to be low cost product producer.
Apple wants sell high margin high revenue product, not low margin product required to sell 10 times more to get same revenue.

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
Margins are slightly lower than company average on the Watch. Good on Apple for making profits - it allows continued R&D, retail stores, and a continuing existence to support customers well into the future. After having examined the range of watches and bands in-store, I think they are a fair value for the quality. Now, if one is willing to gamble on potentially lesser quality from lesser-known sources that might be here-today-gone-tomorrow, there are certainly cheaper alternatives. Notably, Apple didn't lock out third-party bands... party on.

Reactions: BarracksSi

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
So long as people are stupid enough to pay the prices, Apple will continue to milk them for every last penny.

Stupid is a bit harsh, eh? I have 2 official sport bands and a real Milianese loop... Love all three of them. For something I wear every day I've only invested $250 in bands... that's a good deal to me.

All depends on your perspective.

I'm glad cheaper options are out there for people that want them... But many people don't mind paying for the real thing...

Reactions: zetaplus93

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014

I assume you don't own any good watch, like Rolex or Omega.
After you own couple of them, $3000+ Omega or $5000+ Rolex is reasonable priced.

It is never about the cost, it is always about value added.
All Apple band are better "consistent" quality than their imitation 3rd party band for AW.

Reactions: zetaplus93

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
They won't. Apple will just stop selling some of band not generate enough $$$ revenue, and only sell few model come along with watch.
Apple has never play low cost product game, and they have no intention to be low cost product producer.
Apple wants sell high margin high revenue product, not low margin product required to sell 10 times more to get same revenue.
Maybe, I guess my point is Apple is not going to make and sell something people aren't buying. So if Apple is selling these bands than somebody must be buying them.

jaymc

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Port Orchard, WA
I have not noticed anything different about the Moko bands being dust magnets. It does not have the tacky surface texture. It looks and feels exactly the same as the Apple.
Do notice more dust and the Moko bands do have a seam along the side.
IMG_0872-M.jpg

Last edited:

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
I have perfect clone sport bands and leather loop bands. They are almost indistinguishable from the apple originals at 1/10 to 1/5 the cost. I have an 80% space gray SS link knock-off that is very good at 1/4 the cost. I will probably not buy another Apple band.

the leather loops that I tried last June had very weak magnets, much worse than the original loop. have they improved the magnets in more recent versions?

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
Do notice more dust and the Moko bands do have a seam along the side.
When did you get your Moko band? I saw a couple review comments on Amazon and another member posted a similar picture in the accessories forum. Mine do not have as prominent mold flash, and they do not have a tacky surface texture that would attract dust. I wonder if Moko improved quality and from earlier runs?
the leather loops that I tried last June had very weak magnets, much worse than the original loop. have they improved the magnets in more recent versions?
The ones I got are very good. Magnets are very strong. Check out the non-OE threads on the accessories sub-forum. Those have a lot of good insights and reviews of the knock-off bands.

Last edited:

jaymc

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Port Orchard, WA
When did you get your Moko band? I saw a couple review comments on Amazon and another member posted a similar picture in the accessories forum. Mine do not have as prominent mold flash, and they do not have a tacky surface texture that would attract dust. I wonder if Moko improved quality and from earlier runs?

Received last week. :/

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
It's as if Apple doesn't WANT people to buy it's straps. But maybe they unofficially want people to personalise their watch the same way they do their phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.