Apple Basically Controls MP3 & Tablet Market, What About Phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by newyorksole, Apr 2, 2012.

1. newyorksole macrumors 68030

It's interesting to me how iPhone faces so much competition, but iPad and iPod are in a league of their own. iPhone is essentially a smaller version of iPad yet Android phones have so much marketshare. Consumers obviously know quality because of how well Apple's products are doing, but it's just surprising that iPhones aren't dominating as much as iPads and iPods.

2. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

The only reason Android has a slight marketshare lead in cell phones is because of all the junk Android handsets. You know, the $49 crap they sell at Walmart and Radio Shack that people on food stamps who can't afford a real phone with a real carrier get to run on Cricket or some random pay by month carrier. All of those are included in Android phone sales as they are "technically" Android phones. Apple has nothing like that (thankfully). Just like their computers, they don't cater to the bottom end.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I think the best report I have read online in regards to this was from The Verge. Chris Ziegler did a great job explaining why (in a way) Android seems to be dominating the market.

(This photo does an excellent job at demonstrating the point)
    [​IMG]
    http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/23/2651347/a-good-smartphone-comes-but-once-a-year

To further elaborate on mbell1975 point, the iPod never really had competition until the Zune, but by then it was too late. The iPad is still in its early phase (just like the iPhone was in 2007-2009), but competitors can always catch up if you make a reasonably good product at a reasonable price, or if you saturate the market with multiple handsets in a variety of form-factors.

Many competitors were caught off guard by the success of the iPod and never thought that a computer company can build a phone (despite all the rumors) and actually be successful (twice in a row), so when the iPhone was announced many of them dismissed it thinking that what they had to offer would continue to dominate the market.

Microsoft had attempted for several years to put a desktop OS on a tablet and was unsuccessful, so when rumors began to circulate that Apple was going to build a tablet and rumors suggested that it would cost around $999 (because Apple is known as a premium company), once again manufacturers dismissed it thinking it would not succeed. But Apple getting that starting price point at $499 was astonishing and a big factor to its success.

Now I am seeing a repeat occurring with just rumors of Apple one day releasing an actual TV.

4. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Great article. Thats just HTC too! Factor in Samsung and Motorola and its a complete clusterfu*k

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Exactly.

6. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Exactly. If Apple would start selling contact free phones for 100 bucks they'd probably give android a real hard time.

7. lilo777 macrumors 603

Android has 45% market share for tablets and this share is growing. Android will be dominating tablet market just like it does smart phones in about a year.

8. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Again, thats due to cheap tablets with crap hardware for $150-$200. Oh and you can thank the Kindle Fire for all those Android tablet sales, although calling it an Android tablet is a joke. It runs a very watered down version of Android, doesn't advertise it any ad and they were blocking the Market up until a few months ago. Take the Kindle sales out and Android tablets wouldn't have crap aside from failed devices like the Tab, Xoom, View and all the other junk sitting on store shelves or being discontinued.

9. AndroidTriumph macrumors newbie

I think the iPhone does dominate where it really counts in the iOS vs Android battle...Revenue and Net Income.

----------

I think we need a source for the 45% and how would you define "dominate". If Android phones are in such high demand, then why are carriers forced to give them away for free? The Galaxy Nexus (flagship android phone) is free from amazon and many other retailers. When was the last time an iPhone was on sale? Apple is not okay with losing money on hardware with the hopes of making up the loss with a two year contract. They dominate where it really matters $$$$.

The iPad is without a doubt the only tablet to consider in the market today.

10. DeathChill macrumors 68000

Bahaha, you've already been shown multiple times Android has 45% share of SHIPMENTS of tablets. Not sales. In fact, Google was so kind as to say that they have activated 12 million tablets total as of Feb 27th 2012. iPad did 15 million in ONE QUARTER.

11. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

I am sure that Android based tablets in their various forms will one day capture the overall market share (lumping all the manufacturers together), but it won't be in a year, nor will it be for the same reasons smartphone marketshare is led by Android-based devices.

12. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

My next phone was going to by the iPhone4s but its OS is too bland and simplistic. After all having an iPod, getting an iPhone would be an awkward move.

After watching videos on youtube of how widgets run, the customization and new technology regarding ImageSense and dual core processors, I will be going to Android - HTC sense specifically.

iOS is great(app store) but thats when I didn't take a look at Android, now that I have looked in to Android, the amount of useful features, freedom from a walled garden and a new frontier, it all just makes iOS outdated. In a few weeks I'll detail my android experience.

Android just needs more exposure, too many people like myself classified it as just a phone OS and nothing special but spending the time to actually compare both OSs, besides the clearly evident fragmentation, the appeal for Android is quite great and I finally understand why Android's marketshare is exploding off the charts.

13. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Save your receipt with that Android phone. As soon as you find yourself having to charge your phone well before your day is done, have your apps start force closing or have to pull your battery out because your phone froze up (or one of the many other glitches that make Android such a pleasure) you will be thinking a bit differently :)

14. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

That's why I am surely going to get a high end dual core device with the latest OS and won't have to worry about future upgrades.

15. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Really? Like what? I had all high end devices with dual core too, didn't stop apps from force closing and the phone crashing. You are going to have to wait awhile on that latest OS thing too because as usual, although ICS has been out for 5 months, only a few phones run it. Then, when Jellybean is released in a few months, your brand new phone won't be running it. Your new phone will be running an outdated OS a few months after you get it. Yea, Android is so awesome isn't it!?

16. lilo777 macrumors 603

The numbers were reported by IDC. They are way more reputable than you so I am inclined to trust them. Here is just one example that shows that you do not have a clue. Amazon Kindle tablets do not get activated by Google.

17. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

HTC One series will be shipping with ICS, no need to wait.

Jellybean will be like honeycomb - tablet oriented so I'm fine with not having that.

Widgets and customization, basically a step in to a new world will be exciting.
    Keep in mind I'm not going from android to android, from iOS to android is quite a change, I don't need the latest OS to be content.

18. DeathChill, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

DeathChill macrumors 68000

Yes, so reliable that they know about Android tablets better than Google. Are you actually serious or just trolling really hard?

The Kindle Fire is not standard Android and thus wouldn't be counted as such, but regardless the IDC report says Amazon shipped 4.7 million. The actual number could be higher or lower as Amazon doesn't report numbers. Nor do any manufacturers except for Apple.

Regardless, the entire IDC report is on shipments. NOT SALES. You don't get market share by sitting on shelves.

19. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Android on tablets is completely terrible. Don't kid yourself.

No one wants to report numbers when they aren't really all that good.

20. DeathChill macrumors 68000

At least Samsung was honest about it and said that their sales in the tablet segment weren't very good:

21. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Fair enough. Samsung has every form factor from 5", 7.7", 8.9", 10.1", and everything in between, and still can't get it right.

22. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

Really? Are you using an Android based tablet daily? I am using ICS on the Touchpad and I find the experience very enjoyable. There is nothing wrong with ICS on tablets.

23. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

Does the MP3 market still exist? Who buys that crap nowadays when you have phones that do all that and more

24. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I own a touchpad, and the new iPad and the general consensus is that Android for tablets is severely lacking compared to the iPad.

25. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

You should put CM9 on your Touchpad and see just how stable ICS is on it. I have zero complaints. ICS in its vanilla flavor works just as well as ios does.