Apple begins pulling hate music from iTunes Store

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, Dec 17, 2014.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I put this thread into PRSI but the mods can move it if they think it wouldn't end up here anyway...

Apple has started pulling hate music from its iTunes Store offerings. article from the Southern Poverty Law Center

The article pointed out that such music does violate Apple's terms of use. As I recall, those terms do make it clear it's Apple's option, not requirement, to remove them. Anyway the piece stated that so far about 30 bands' albums have been removed.

2. sim667 macrumors 65816

Just checked the UK store, they've missed skrewdriver (one of the biggest racist bands around)..

So they're obviously not taking it that seriously.

3. Happybunny macrumors 68000

And I thought that this was going to mean the end of "5 Seconds of Summer"

I miss read the title as Apple pulls music that I hate.:eek:

4. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well that band is on the list of 54 that SPLC published in that report, so I'd think iTunes would be getting around to it. I don't know what the considerations are in each country that Apple has to make before it removes products that it must have cut some deal to list in the first place. Paperwork is paperwork...

5. sim667 macrumors 65816

I doubt it, apple host it, and pay a percentage of the profit.

I've noticed skrewdriver are on amazon too.

Whilst I don't promote laws governing it, I do think retailers need to take responsibility.

I wouldn't want laws though, because then they'd started covering bands I like too (like leftover crack)

6. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

7. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Only the government is capable of true censorship. A private company can sell whatever they want. Don't worry, you can still get your white power music elsewhere.

8. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Personalizing the post reveals who you are.

9. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

That's deep man. Did you read it on a fortune cookie?

10. sim667 macrumors 65816

To be fair I think there's a few posters here who might be upset they can't get their white power music so easily anymore.

11. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Meh, whatever. I can't get myself to care about this. Apple can sell whatever they want.

12. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

So I'm completely ignorant about hip-hop/rap music, but from the controversies, wasn't a lot of it hateful toward women and whites? Has that also been deleted by Apple?

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That was my first thought as well.

----------

Agreed.

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Apple sells rap songs that would get us instantly banned from MacRumors if we were crazy enough to post the lyrics.

As a major Apple stockholder I don't really care, but the hypocrisy is amusing.

15. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Not to mention the horrific abuse of disabled small mammals advocated in the song "Three Blind Mice." :(

16. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

As someone who doesn't like rap, I find it amusing your attempt to classify an entire music category as hate music. Just because you hate it doesn't make it hate music.

What Apple is doing is removing 'Hate' music in general, regardless of its genre.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What classifies as "Hate Music"?

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Where did I classify rap as "hate music?"

I'm glad your amused, though. You can go back to sleep now.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I look forward to most Rap music being gone.:D

----------

not ALL of it is cRap. but a good amount is

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    That wasn't chicken.

21. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well as others have said, Apple gets to decide what it wants to allow in the way of products (or review and comment for that matter).

I put an excerpt from their terms and services below but call attention to “Apple has the right, but not the obligation, to monitor any materials submitted by you or otherwise available on the iTunes Service.”

It doesn’t mean they aren’t subject to public pressure like any other retail outlet would be when attention is drawn to some situation that a large number of potential customers might find objectionable. It also doesn’t mean they have to cave in to that pressure, assuming they are in compliance on the issue per their legal counsel. Most likely what they are removing is stuff that goes way past mainstream tolerance for people venting stereotypical hatreds. If some people have to wonder where that line is, then maybe Apple figures “let them wonder".

Apple does, as most people know, offer bands the option to put up "Explicit" vs "Clean" versions of tracks to help parents try to control exposure of their children to inappropriate material. The extreme kind of hate music being pulled off the shelf here, doesn't seem like something one could redeem in that way, at least not for mainstream consumers. Safe bet that most large Apple shareholders wouldn't fancy having the company become known for being willing to make money off selling hate music, even if the managers of those institutions don't personally care whether it's sold or not.

22. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I imagine Apple must be working from some definition they came up with but I agree it could turn into a very slippery slope considering the twisted opinions of what some people may interpret as hateful.

23. jkcerda, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014

jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

slippery slope HOW? its their CO, the can sell what they wish as they wish, you can still buy whatever you want & put it on your iphone/ipad/ipod etc.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

25. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

To be fair to Tipper Gore, she was often quoted as saying she was not in favor of censorship, only a system that would let parents know if a song was likely inappropriate for youngsters. After all, a parent should be able to decide what to expose his kids to, even though the kid may well run into parentally-banned material elsewhere. So how does a parent figure out whether a song lyric is objectionable? Buy it and listen?!? Hence the parental advisory label concept, back in the day.

Over the years that "parental advisory" has been tweaked, but that's still its intent, whether or not it is (or ever was) particularly effective. Some stores don't carry the explicit versions, some do. Of the industry associations, BPI goes farther than RIAA in stipulating what kind of lyric would warrant the advisory, suggesting that "racist, homophobic, misogynistic or other discriminatory language or behavior" be considered when deciding upon need for an advisory.

The record labels and retailers have multiple issues in even trying to cooperate with the advisory concept. The industry associations are voluntary, so a label does not have to go along with the idea. Making a "clean" version of a track may be difficult or even impossible. The band might not share the label's desire to alter the lyrics.

The bottom line for the retailer is that compliance with the ideals of the parental advisory concept is at best approximate, so it's up to the retailer to take a record label's word for it or to decide, case by case, what albums it will or will not sell.

When it comes to extreme hate music, mainstream retailers probably prefer not to sell it, once it's drawn to their attention. That still doesn't amount to censorship imo. It's a business decision. Other businesses can decide they're willing to carry the material.