Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today added certified refurbished 2019 iMac models to its online store for the first time in the United States and Canada.

A selection of refurbished 21.5-inch iMac and 27-inch iMac configurations are available, with prices discounted by 15 percent compared to the equivalent brand new models. These models were originally released in March 2019.

27-imac.jpeg

Apple says all refurbished iMac models are thoroughly inspected, tested, cleaned, and repackaged with a new box and all manuals and accessories, including a Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse 2, Lightning to USB cable, and power cord. Apple's refurbished products are virtually indistinguishable from brand new ones.

Any refurbished iMac model comes with Apple's standard one-year warranty effective on the date the computer is delivered. The warranty can be extended to up to three years from the original purchase date with AppleCare+ for iMac for a one-time cost of $169 in the United States or $199 in Canada.

Apple updated its iMac lineup in March with Intel's latest 8th-gen and 9th-gen Core processors and Radeon Pro Vega graphics options.

Beyond the processors and graphics refresh, there is a lot of familiarity. 2019 iMac models have the same design used since 2012 and the same 4K and 5K displays as the previous generation. I/O also remains unchanged with two Thunderbolt 3 ports, four USB 3 ports, a SD card slot, a headphone jack, and Gigabit Ethernet.

While the iMac Pro and other recent Macs are equipped with Apple's T2 security chip, 2019 iMac models do not have any T-series chip.

Article Link: Apple Begins Selling Refurbished 2019 iMacs

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Finally! Hoping to get a 512SSD with i5 - not qualms over getting a refurb and save a few dollars as the Canadian prices are ridiculous.

Has anyone done any tests with the 8th generation chips vs the 9th?

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
looking forward to a completely re-thought & redesigned iMac now that J Ive is gone. This old design has got to go. This is the one time I wish they'd show courage.

Aside from the bezels getting trimmed down, I can’t imagine how much they can do to make this a more aesthetically pleasing machine. I personally think it’s a beautiful design even in its current state.

tegranjeet

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2019
Boulder, CO
Aside from the bezels getting trimmed down, I can’t imagine how much they can do to make this a more aesthetically pleasing machine. I personally think it’s a beautiful design even in its current state.

I have an iMac Pro and I agree it's a beautiful machine. I could however do without the giant chin. I wish it looked more like a Thunderbolt Display. No branding on front with minimal bezel, as thin as the new iPad Pros would be so gorgeous in my mind...but the minimalistic Apple logo isn't terrible I suppose.

Reactions: roronl

calisurfboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Trend is the iMac appears in the refurb store 3 months after into. I've been hitting refresh on the refurb store for about 4 weeks now and jumped on an i9 w/ Vega 48 during lunch. Those Geekbench scores are incredible.

Military discount stacks with refurb discount which drives down the cost quite a bit.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
well a refurb 27 iMac i9 1TB SSD Vega 48 is a nice deal, even cheaper than our company's corporate discount and drop in SSD pricing. So ordered, was planning on holding out longer but my 2013 has been doing way too much graphics corruption in the last few months and Apple nor Nvidia provide updated drivers anymore

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
looking forward to a completely re-thought & redesigned iMac now that J Ive is gone. This old design has got to go. This is the one time I wish they'd show courage.

The current iMac is one Ive's finer achievements. It could use narrower bezels, but other than that it's close to perfect.
[doublepost=1562722610][/doublepost]
How popular are refurb machines?

I haven't bought a new Mac in 10 years. All refurbs. Same warranty as new.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Really excited for a redesigned iMac. Holding onto my 2010 has gotten stressful lately lmao.

Hoping the end of this year or 2020 will be the time.
The last major redesigned iMac was 2012 (ultra slim). They really haven’t redesigned it since them. They removed the SuperDrive in 2012 as well. 2015 they put Retina display.

If u have 2009 and or 2010 model (first all aluminum unibody design. U been waiting from 2012-2019. That’s a long time (7 years) for another major redesign.

Reactions: newyorksole

D4walker

macrumors member
May 26, 2019
I’ve never bought a refurbished product before, is it worth the discount (and loss of the beats promotion)? Are they like new just not with the official box?

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
I’ve never bought a refurbished product before, is it worth the discount (and loss of the beats promotion)? Are they like new just not with the official box?

I’ve bought a few refurbished MacBook Pros over the years. They’ve always been indistinguishable from new, aside from the non-retail box. I would never buy one new unless I was in a hurry.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada

Aesthetically, it’s starting to feel dated. Not ugly, but just looks like from a time when wide bezels were the norm.
The tapered edges are a bit gimmicky and may hinder opportunities for better ventilation.

Maybe under new design leadership, it’s not about how thin we can make it. Have a uniform flat back, perhaps with cut out pattern similar to that new 6K display. I want to say, add an adjustable height and tilt, but that would add $1k to the price.

If they really want to make a bold change, consider what MS has done with their Surface desktop.

arvinsim

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2018
Crazy we’re getting refurbs of this before the 2018 iPad Pro.

There is basically no alternative to the 2018 iPad Pro outside of Apple.

There are a lot of cheaper alternatives to the iMac if you don't use MacOS.

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
How popular are refurb machines?

I've been buying them for years. Over a decade actually. And I don't have any regrets, I've never noticed a single thing about them that's different. I get AppleCare for 3 years anyways, but they tend to last forever. My 2008 refurbed 24" iMac is still around and kicking.

Reactions: Morod
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.