Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today launched a new ad campaign focused on the Mac, carrying the tagline "Behind the Mac" and highlighting a trio of creators who have used Macs to "make something wonderful." There are four ads in the series, with the first, set to Daniel Johnston's "Story of an Artist," showing a variety of people using Macs as part of their creative processes.

Three other ads focus on specific Mac users from various disciplines:

- Photographer and disability advocate Bruce Hall, who is legally blind, uses his Mac and iPhone to help "see the things that always felt out of reach." Some of Hall's work is part of the permanent collection of the U.S. Library of Congress.

- Music artist Grimes uses a Mac "from start to finish" to write all of her music, edit music videos, and create digital art for her singles.

- App developer Peter Kariuki from Rwanda used his Mac to code the SafeMotos app for connecting passengers with safe motorcycle taxi drivers. The app monitors motorcyle riders on the road to "detect unsafe driving habits and help them become better drivers."

Apple has highlighted the campaign on its homepage and Mac section of its website.

Article Link: Apple Launches New 'Behind the Mac' Ad Campaign

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Apple sells obsolete technology with crappy keyboards.

This is the state of the Mac.

• iMac Pro: 182 days ago
  • iMac: 374 days ago
  • MacBook: 374 days ago
  • MacBook Air: 374 days ago
  • MacBook Pro: 374 days ago
  • Mac Pro: 436 days ago
  • Mac Mini: 1337 days ago
And most of those “updates” were inconsequential bumps. Is it even ethical to be selling the Mac mini at this point?

Design decisions, e.g. 1 USB’s c port which is required for power, The ill-conceived touch bar, mindlessly making everything thinner over functionality, the nest of dongles, and again, those train wreck keyboards, etc., make the current line up worse than what they offered 3 years ago.

No amount of marketing or slick videos is going to fix how bad the hardware situation is, nor will it cover up Aaple’s unwillingness to regularly update the Mac line.

Apple is causing the decay of the Mac through their lack of care, and it breaks my heart.

Last edited:

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
The thing fo me:
Will there, or will there be not a "modular" 2019 Mac Pro? Based on Xeons and TB3 eGPU's, i.e. a real workstation?

I know it has been stated, but seeing is believing.
I have this feeling Apple doesn't really want to sell a new x64-based Mac Pro, but move over to ARM and an AX based "security chip", locking down macOS akin iOS.

It's strange how quickly "Classic" Mac OS became outdated: 1984 - 2002: 18 years.
M(m)ac( )OS( X) as desktop OS is lasting 18 years now too: 2000 - 2018.

Reactions: imageWIS and -hh

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
  • Apple Cinema Display: Abandoned
  • Time Capsule: Abandoned
  • AirPort Express: Abandoned
  • Shake: Abandoned
  • Aperture: Abandoned

Added a few things.
Not Macs, no. But certainly useful if not vital products to many artists out there.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Apple's advertising team know that glowing Apple logo is part of the Mac experience, but Apple's hardware team killed that.

I loved the first ad, but the Grimes ad had me cringe when I saw she has a mess of cables and freaking dongles.

If Apple would just make a little bit more effort into improving the Mac hardware, they'd be eating up the market. Competition has caught up already.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Apple sells obsolete technology with crappy keyboards.

This is the state of the Mac.

And most of those “updates” were inconsequential bumps. Is it even ethical to be selling the Mac mini at this point?

Design decisions, e.g. 1 USB’s c port which is required for power, The ill-conceived touch bar, mindlessly making everything thinner over functionality, and again, those train wreck keyboards, etc., make the current line up worse than what they offered 3 years ago.

No amount of marketing or slick videos is going to fix how bad the hardware situation is, nor will it cover up Aaple’s unwillingness to regularly update the Mac line.

Apple is causing the decay of the Mac through their lack of care, and it breaks my heart.
I’m sure Apple appreciates your concern. But there’s no need to panic, iMac and MacBook Pro are updated yearly. We’re not yet halfway through the year, though I know it’s hard to wait!

I do expect that MacBook Pro keyboard to be revised again, but I doubt you’ll get a thicker, heavier machine. I don’t think the touch bar will go away, rather it will be improved.

Mac Pro updates are long overdue. The product management of the Pro was badly mis-handled; Apple has a lot to prove over the next 6-18 months, whenever the new platform is released. My guess is that Apple will have something their customers will like, but people will complain they’re too expensive.

iMac Pro is the best iMac ever, though more computer than most need, and as always people complain they’re too expensive.

For its target market, the current Mac mini is adequate, but people complain they’re too expensive. Newer generation processors and TB3 support are definitely overdue, however those upgrades may never come, if the mini is discontinued.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.