Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBoySeattle

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
Apple better get the two low end Meroms into the Mac Mini during the announcement in a week and a half or they're SOL as far as the chances of me buying one.

If Dell can do this:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/02/dell-stuffs-merom-into-two-more-the-inspiron-e1505-and-e1405/

(Drop the 2mb L2 1.66 ghz Core 2 duo into a $729 laptop)

then Apple better drop that same chip into the Mac Mini line. Apple has been lazy with upgrading its Core Duo line, and it's going to start paying when it's using the same chips as the PC manufacturers. They are upgrading fast and prices are LOW.

IMHO, the Mac Mini better get the 2MB L2 T5500 (1.66 ghz) and T5600 (1.83ghz) Core 2 Duos. These BTW are the exact same price that the Core Duos were when they were released for the Mac Mini.

The iMacs should theoretically get the T7200 (2 ghz) and T7400 (2.16 ghz) Core 2 Duos.

Apple, are you listening? Get your head out of your butt and stay competive. You chose Intel, you better be willing to do better than overpriced 1 year old technology.

Do you ever wonder how PC Manufacturers using the exact same chips now can drop the Core 2 Duo into their lower end laptops with no problem ($729!), and Apple seems to struggle in retiring Yonah from it's low end line? This ain't the separate system era anymore with different chips, you better come to PLAY Apple!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Sure, lots of vendors have announced Merom availability, but until they start shipping them, Apple isn't behind.

How has Apple "been lazy with upgrading its Core Duo line?" Merom has just become available in sufficient quantities for mass product release in the last few days.

MacBoySeattle

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
My ultimate goal is to let Apple know that the Jig is up. If they intend to try to pass a mildly upgraded Mac Mini (as I fear) with even an upgraded Yonah Core (1) Duo at the same price point ($799), they need to know we know they're ripping us off. The Core 2 Duo T5500 is the SAME PRICE, and if Dell can stick it into a laptop with an LCD screen for $749, then surely Apple, you can get it into a Mac Mini with no display. They are playing now in a competitive market.

There is certainly enough product differentiation WITHIN Merom to make all the product lines work:

There are the 2MB L2 Cache dirt cheap 1.66 and 1.83 Core 2 Duos for the Minis.

There are the 4MB Cache 2 and 2.16 ghz Core 2 Duos for the iMac and MacBook.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Apple will likely announce them when the shipment is expected to hit the shelves.

Which is definitely better than the Xeon XServe announcement, which won't even go on sale until October -- but it is was announced during the WWDC.

Of course you can always buy the XServe. :rolleyes:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
MacBoySeattle said:
My ultimate goal is to let Apple know that the Jig is up. If they intend to try to pass a mildly upgraded Mac Mini (as I fear) with even an upgraded Yonah Core (1) Duo at the same price point ($799), they need to know we know they're ripping us off. The Core 2 Duo T5500 is the SAME PRICE, and if Dell can stick it into a laptop with an LCD screen for $749, then surely Apple, you can get it into a Mac Mini with no display. They are playing now in a competitive market.

There is certainly enough product differentiation WITHIN Merom to make all the product lines work:

There are the 2MB L2 Cache dirt cheap 1.66 and 1.83 Core 2 Duos for the Minis.

There are the 4MB Cache 2 and 2.16 ghz Core 2 Duos for the iMac and MacBook.

Now that they know you've put your foot down on it, I'm sure they'll come to attention.

I believe that they know that it needs to be a bit more competitive and as long as it's conservative on heat and gives a reasonable profit, they'll do something nice.

MacBoySeattle

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
I don't want Apple to become Dell, but now that there is price transparency for Apple products (because they're using the EXACT same hardware, from processors to motherboards, as the PC manufacturers), I as a consumer know exactly how much a new processor, say, is, and how much the processor they're still using in Apple product has dropped. This is the bottom line: the high end Mac Mini they are still selling for $799 with a 1.66 ghz Yonah Core (1) Duo chip is now worth MUCH MUCH less than when it came out. Infact, the Core 2 Duo chip at the same clock speed (1.66) is the same price as the one they're still using! As a consumer, that lets me know I'm being ripped off. Apple now has to stay price competitive or atleast technology competitive. If Dell and everybody else is replacing that Core 1 Duo 1.66 with a Core 2 Duo for the SAME PRICE, then either Apple has to lower the price of their Core 1 drastically or get with it and put the Core 2 in!

I hate to bring up a sore point, but did you notice that that $750 Dell with the Core 2 Duo also doesn't use Intel integrated 950 graphics and has its own ATI graphics card? I mean if they can do all that for the price and include an LCD (it's a laptop), then you know the Mac Mini is now grossly overpriced for a Core 1 with integrated graphics. See that's the thing, we can now go item by item and compare because Macs are using the exact same types of hardware. If a PC can get a lower end ATI or Nvidia GPU for that price, why can't a Mac Mini use the same GPU? It's certainly capable! I dream big, and posts like this, if read by the right people can make a difference. If Apple isn't going to be fully price competitive, fine! But then don't lag technologically either. Charge a higher price, but for heavens sake, give us the latest chip (especially if it's the same price) and a proper graphics card!

wonga1127

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
Wishing for a magic bus.
Apple does not make decisions based on the opinion of one person. They are a corporation, and as any corporation, their main goal is to make money. They will make decisions that will maximize profits.
Consider that the Mac mini is positioned in the market as a consumer computer, helpful for people who want to switch, but still have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Why would Apple put 64-bit and marginal speed boosts into a computer targeted to the group who would benefit least from it. If you want a powerhouse in a small, package, you're s*** out of luck.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
you are making a good point, but Apple still has time to update their product line. don't start making all of these bad claims, when an update is just around the corner. 2 weeks from now and Apple hasn't released anything new, then start crying

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
While you can buy that Dell that has better specs than Apple, you're buying a computer that won't last more than year at best. A Mac mini will run for years and won't have anywhere near as many problems as a Dell will.

Personally, I think this guy is just another troll.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
They will, eventually. But they will ignore the Mini until Merom supplies are sufficient to take care of the rest of the product line. Merom will likely be limited to the MBP and possibly the iMac initially, though the MB has a decent chance of getting it if not immediately, then shortly afterwards. The big problem is supply- if they stick merom in EVERYTHING without sufficient supplies of the chip, there goes their shipping schedule for the whole line at once.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Warbrain said:
While you can buy that Dell that has better specs than Apple, you're buying a computer that won't last more than year at best. A Mac mini will run for years and won't have anywhere near as many problems as a Dell will.

Yeah right...

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
How about this then?

Here's an idea...

Why don't they put a port on the bottom of the mac mini, then make modules for it. Like hard drives OR what I like, another mini form factor only it holds PCIe cards at 16x. Then you could put a radeon 1900xt in there and have what everyone wants, THE MAC.

Think how cool that would be? You could stake them limitlessly. You could have 5 stacks with multiple graphics cards, PCIe cards and hard drives. WOW that would be BADASS!

Holy Hell! Talk about being competitive and blowing everyone else out of the water.

bob5820

macrumors 6502a
Warbrain said:

My Dell laptops been running flawlessly for a year and a half now. But don't tell Dell.:)

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
bob5820 said:
My Dell laptops been running flawlessly for a year and a half now. But don't tell Dell.:)

I've got a Dell laptop that has run flawlessly for five years (well, I did hav it - but my mother uses it now).

I've got a 4 year old Dell Precission Workstation that has never blinkd once.

My father is running an old Gateway P2 300Mz system that is one of my hand-me-downs from 8 years ago.

Worked my way through a dozen computers in the last 20 years. 1 Hard disk packed in (was 8 years old), one monitor died (after 6 years of hard use), one recall on a laptop power supply (never caused me any problems). One PSU blew up and was replaced under warenty the next day. Fuser unit on a laser printer died just out of warenty - was less expensive to buy a new (and better) printer than to get the old one fixed. Thankfully not that often. Things break. Thankfully not that often.

For lots of people computers "just work". You only hear about the problems from the few who have them (and anybody unfortunate enough to have a laptop using a Sony battrey) :D

My old G4 mini has run fine for 18 months. I expect apple will get around to upgrading the current Mini with a new processor in time for Leopard.

Steve talked about transitions. Apple is in the process of pulling off another (silent) transition to put 64-bit capable CPUs into their products in time for Leopard 64-bit support.

I expect the iMac to get the Conroe-based Core 2 duo - possibly within the next two weeks.

The Macbook Pro will probably get Merome within the next two months.

The Macbook and Mini will probably have to wait until the new year to get their updates - a month or two ahead of Leopard.

That of course is all pure speculation - but it is good speculation based on the intel roadmap (known) and what would constitute good business on the part of Apple.

direzz

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
MacBoySeattle said:
I don't want Apple to become Dell, but now that there is price transparency for Apple products (because they're using the EXACT same hardware, from processors to motherboards, as the PC manufacturers), I as a consumer know exactly how much a new processor, say, is, and how much the processor they're still using in Apple product has dropped. This is the bottom line: the high end Mac Mini they are still selling for $799 with a 1.66 ghz Yonah Core (1) Duo chip is now worth MUCH MUCH less than when it came out. Infact, the Core 2 Duo chip at the same clock speed (1.66) is the same price as the one they're still using! As a consumer, that lets me know I'm being ripped off. Apple now has to stay price competitive or atleast technology competitive. If Dell and everybody else is replacing that Core 1 Duo 1.66 with a Core 2 Duo for the SAME PRICE, then either Apple has to lower the price of their Core 1 drastically or get with it and put the Core 2 in!

I hate to bring up a sore point, but did you notice that that $750 Dell with the Core 2 Duo also doesn't use Intel integrated 950 graphics and has its own ATI graphics card? I mean if they can do all that for the price and include an LCD (it's a laptop), then you know the Mac Mini is now grossly overpriced for a Core 1 with integrated graphics. See that's the thing, we can now go item by item and compare because Macs are using the exact same types of hardware. If a PC can get a lower end ATI or Nvidia GPU for that price, why can't a Mac Mini use the same GPU? It's certainly capable! I dream big, and posts like this, if read by the right people can make a difference. If Apple isn't going to be fully price competitive, fine! But then don't lag technologically either. Charge a higher price, but for heavens sake, give us the latest chip (especially if it's the same price) and a proper graphics card!

i second that!

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
macenforcer said:
Here's an idea...

Why don't they put a port on the bottom of the mac mini, then make modules for it. Like hard drives OR what I like, another mini form factor only it holds PCIe cards at 16x. Then you could put a radeon 1900xt in there and have what everyone wants, THE MAC.

Think how cool that would be? You could stake them limitlessly. You could have 5 stacks with multiple graphics cards, PCIe cards and hard drives. WOW that would be BADASS!

Holy Hell! Talk about being competitive and blowing everyone else out of the water.

It is not possible, these internal interfaces have very specific timing latencies, so it is not like you can stretch it through electrical paths several feet long and still have it work.

Besides we know Apple is incapable of producing hardware to high tolerances, would be a million years before that happens.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Warbrain said:

Goes on to show just how much of an ignorant you are and who the REAL troll is.

Have you ever used a Dell?

Honestly, sometimes I'm just fed up with mac fanboys who have never used a PC but think its "cool" to bash windows, windows users are not nearly such jackasses when it comes to macs.

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
Chone said:

Honestly, sometimes I'm just fed up with mac fanboys who have never used a PC but think its "cool" to bash windows, windows users are not nearly such jackasses when it comes to macs.

Quite. My PC is four years old and it is still perfectly usable. It's pretty fast and runs all the latest games at an acceptable speed. There is a remarkable amount of ignorance about PCs on the part of Mac users.

someone else said:
Apple does not make decisions based on the opinion of one person

Not even Steve Jobs?

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Chone said:

Have I ever used a Dell? Of course. And I had a terrible experience. I'm responsible for all of the Dells at my university and we've had nothing but problems with them, even straight out of the box as they are.

Windows users are jackasses about Macs all the time, and it can go both ways. It's very ignorant of you to think that Mac fanboys don't use PCs. We're sometimes forced to use them at our jobs, while you little PC users and peddle along in your environment for your whole life and not realize that there are better computers and operating systems out there.

MacBoySeattle

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
Ok, there should be absolutely no problem with supply as the exact same model methodology that was used to distribute Core 1 Processors amongst the Mac lines can be used for the Core 2. And what do you know? The're all the same price too. Here is the model:

Mac Mini:
T5500 1.66 Ghz Core 2 Duo (2 MB L2 Cache)
T5600 1.83 Ghz Core 2 Duo (2 MB L2 Cache)

iMac:
T7200 2 Ghz Core 2 Duo (4 MB L2 Cache)
T7400 2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo (4 MB L2 Cache)

MacBook:
T7200 2 Ghz Core 2 Duo (4 MB L2 Cache)

MacBook Pro:
T7600 2.33 Ghz Core 2 Duo (4 MB L2 Cache)

As you can see, putting the Merom into the Mac Mini does not restrict supply on any of the other models as nothing else uses the ultra low end 2 MB L2 Cache Core 2 Duos. All of these processors are the same price as the ones being used now, all they have to do is switch.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Warbrain said:
you little PC users and peddle along in your environment for your whole life and not realize that there are better computers and operating systems out there.

We meddle... People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads, and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.
~ River Tam

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.