Apple blames hot iPhone on weather, others fine oleophobic screen to be fleeting?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bremb0, Jul 4, 2009.

1. bremb0 macrumors newbie

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/04/apple-blames-hot-iphones-on-the-weather-others-find-oleophobic/

Don't worry, everybody, your iPhone baking itself to a crisp is no cause for panic, now that Apple has found the culprit: the weather and your heartless negligence. Apparently you've been leaving your brand new iPhone 3GS in a hot car, and the warm sensation you feel any time you hold the phone has nothing to do with beefed up processors or inadequate cooling. Phew, glad that's all sorted and now nobody will have any problems with self-destructive iPhones they paid hundreds of dollars for. Besides, it serves you right.

Meanwhile, hapless Samsas Traum has found a problem of his own (pictured) that's sure to be blamed on some other act of god in the near future by Apple's spin team: the oleophobic coating is getting rubbed right off his screen. Apparently he has a bit of a fondness for a certain "Flick Fishing" app, which explains the highly localized nature of his oleophobic destruction. We haven't heard many other reports of a similar nature, but we'll keep an eye out for telltale Tap Tap Revenge markings on the iPhones of our rhythm-addled loved ones.

2. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

3. army91c macrumors 6502a

Freakin funny... Now Ill go read whats written on the link. I don't care if you're a bot as long as you're a funny bot.

4. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

What's written in the original post is copy pasted from the link.

5. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Solution: don't rub the hell out of your screen. If you have that much time to play that much flick fishing. Go outside, get a pole and go real fishing.

6. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Yeah, but if it really does get rubbed off in some way, that means that the line across the bottom where every one of us slides to unlock multiple times a day are at risk.

I wasn't too concerned about either issue until reading that bit.

7. Stankonia macrumors regular

Yeah, don't touch the touch screen, brilliant solution.

"Hey my battery dies within 2 hours when I call my friend"
    Solution: if you have 2 hours to talk to someone, go to their house instead of using the phone

PROBLEM SOLVED

8. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

How'd he not notice it getting that bad? Or did he just keep going regardless?

9. blueillusion macrumors member

I myself do notice that the coating is rubbing off too. This happens after you play wolfenstein for long periods of time :/
    However mine is not as bad as his (yet).
    You can really see the smudges where the directional pad is. It also feels a lot less smoother as well.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Either that or $2 screen shield...or maybe find something more productive to do with your time. Oh yeah, and maybe washing your hands occasionally.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Unlocking the phone isn't nearly as intensive as flick fishing. Unlocking involves a 2 second swipe. But again, a $2 screen protector would solve the problem anyway unless you sweat some sort of toxic acid.

12. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

This is interesting. I wonder if it's possible to rub off all of the coating incase the coating gets all scratched up.

I be he can get his iPhone exchanged for the coating coming off.

13. Jimmy James macrumors 68030

Ooh, my case is cracked and I never dropped my phone.

Solution: dont squeeze the hell out of your phone. If you have that much time to hold your phone, go outside! Get a real life.