Apple blatantly rips-off the design and color palette of their Activity app

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by swift22, Mar 25, 2015.

1. swift22 macrumors newbie

Dane Baker on Twitter found an uncanny similarity between the the Activity App and the eight-year-old design of the PolarClock screensaver.

Take a look:

[​IMG]

Source: Twitter

2. avalys macrumors 6502

Who cares? It is a 7-year-old freeware app that has been abandoned and it's a cool design.

3. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Tell Twitter guy to try harder.

4. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

The fitbit dashboard also uses rings. Did they rip the app off as well? Who cares.

5. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Those certainly are quite similar. But don't expect anyone to agree with you here.

6. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Since you are colorblind, OP, I'll help you out. The two have entirely different color palettes: Activity App uses red, green, blue, while the screensaver screenshots you posted use pink, cyan, yellow, orange and green, yellow, orange. And every different version of that screensaver uses different colors, and eventually they added the ability to choose your own colors.

Basically, you are saying that anyone drawing colored arcs with text on them is ripping off this screensaver and couldn't possibly have come up with that idea on their own.

7. FlatCable macrumors member

Just Google this: LCARS

8. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

Umm..

They probably nabbed the guy that created that in their "brain drain" phase.

I'd bet anything that he brought the patent with him, & it's part of why he got hired.

*educated guess*

9. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Only copying we care about around here is with Samsung

10. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

damn straight.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

[Mod Note]

Several off topic comments have been removed. Please keep the discussion on the thread subject.

12. camtechman56 macrumors regular

I have defended Apple, Samsung ( they make the S1 that powers the Apple watch :eek:) and also android. As for this display, it is not important, it is a cool way of displaying achievements, so no Apple did not rip it off. I have read the specs on all sorts of smart watches and looked at many displays and, Apple isn't the only ones that use close to look a like objects, but rip off! No! they used what was available. good for them.

13. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

While we're grasping at straws, I guess Apple also stole the idea from www.imgur.com page loading animation.
    [​IMG]

14. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

I don't care. Apple's take on this looks way better, more functional and more refined. It's a great design.

They got inspired of the original idea and made it better. Thats all that matters.

Saying that they copied it is just wrong on so many levels.