Apple blocks unauthorized Lightning cables with iOS 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pirateyarrr, Sep 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pirateyarrr macrumors regular

pirateyarrr

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

3. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

I'd rather pay extra for a cable than get electrocuted to death, although I did just buy 5 30-pin connectors for $5 on eBay :D

4. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

He'll be back, cause Android sucks.

5. pirateyarrr thread starter macrumors regular

pirateyarrr

Spoken like a true fanboi. Since when did you assume most iPhone buyers were doing it to be part of the "in crowd"?

Oh, since you bought one? I got it.

6. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

This has been known for a long time.

I have 3 lightning cables, 1 official, 2 unofficial, and all 3 work just fine for charging and syncing, the only difference is the unofficial ones cause a notification to pop up saying it's not an official cable

Seems the only reason this thread was made was to troll. Really? Apple validated your decision to leave by doing this? Seems a pretty petty thing to complain about

7. pirateyarrr thread starter macrumors regular

pirateyarrr

Purely a matter of opinion. My wife has had the Droid Mini for a few weeks now (same size as 5s, larger screen btw) and she's very happy. As I've been the one to set most of it up for her, I can say I don't see how anyone could say "Android sucks" unless they've never used Android and are just clinging to their conviction that iOS is the best ever and has to be the best because they bought it.

8. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I remember when monoprice use to sell the 30 pins for maybe what $3? I had tons of them. I'd never purchase another fake cable.

9. MacMilligan macrumors 6502

I think this is a good move. Too many horror stories over the last year with unauthorized cables. I don't blame Apple for wanting to disassociate themselves from crappy manufacturers making terrible products that can potentially harm their customers.

10. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

I switched from iOS, to Android, and back to iOS because overall i feel iOS is a better ecosystem, and nothing about Android grabbed me.

It's getting to the point where Android fanboys are worse than Apple Fanboys. Who cares? It's a damn phone

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Wow, a warning notification, it's the end of the world. These are the same exact posters that then point to things like the iPhone that caught fire because of a knockoff charger as if that is a major issue as well.

People will complain about anything

12. bkribbs macrumors 65816

If you get an upper tier phone its probably really nice, but there are lots of cheaper android that perfectly validate "android sucks".

I have to do at least a battery pull a day on average. Given its not a top android but still.

13. pirateyarrr thread starter macrumors regular

pirateyarrr

One person got electrocuted out of millions of users, FYI.

It's fine that Apple uses that excuse to make more money off of charger sales. I just don't have to give my money to them. If you're okay with paying $35+ for every charger you buy, great! I'd rather spend my money a little more wisely and have my choice of manufacturers.

----------

It's not merely a warning notification, but thanks for not actually reading the article.

It used to be just a warning. Now the cables flat-out don't work.

14. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Nothing is being blocked.
    3rd-party cables work perfectly fine except for the popup notification saying that they're not certified.
    And 3rd-party cables that are certified are available from places like Amazon and Monoprice.

15. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

Again, mine work just fine, as do many others

16. pirateyarrr thread starter macrumors regular

pirateyarrr

One. One horror story. In China.

Regardless, people always had the choice of buying from Apple or going on Amazon, etc, and reading reviews, and buying a good solid reliable charger for 1/3 the price.

Now they don't have that choice. And if you think it's because Apple wants to "disassociate themselves from crappy manufacturers" rather than "Apple wants to profit from all charger sales," you are deluding yourself.

17. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I read the article and its wrong.
    Pure and simple, it's wrong.
    3rd-party cables do work.

18. pirateyarrr thread starter macrumors regular

pirateyarrr

19. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

No, I bought an unlocked Android phone to use in Europe. The OS was old. Never any updates, and none of the Android Tools backup or restore your phones data or configuration. So you have to manually download your apps, and configure all your settings by hand.. So I say it's a "retarded" OS with immature tools...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.