Apple Booth: Secret

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
wrylachlan points out... Wired has a story entitled "What's Behind That Apple Curtain?"

No one expects Apple to introduce anything new Thursday morning when CEO Steve Jobs delivers the opening keynote. The company has recently refreshed its entire product line; no new products are supposed to be in the pipeline. The biggest surprise will be whether Jobs wears jeans or a suit.

But a pair of large and mysteriously shrouded booths in Apple's display area on the show floor say something else.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
iSecret?

hmm....a freight box....says "Apple: Secret"...

what do u guys think....will Steve show up in a black mock turtleneck?! he he he...:p

rjgjonker

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2001
QuickTime 6

Maybe Steve is going to release QuickTime 6 and announce the keynote will be broadcasted in MPEG4 afterwarts ;)

I certainly hope QT6 finally comes…

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
No way is this just a little something, I do not think Apple would put a slightly bumped up iPod behind this kind of thing, no chance.

What could it be?

Who knows!

Ensign

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
iPod rev.?

iPod revision is a fair guess - 10 gig drive with new features and a reduction in price on the 5 gig one (Then I will buy one!

Perhaps the best thing that Steve could announce is that imacs are finally shipping and all models are available.
That must be doing serious harm to Apple's bottom line.....

L

littlejim

Hmmm...

Booths in "far corners of the hall"... "thick black curtains" ...

New black colour scheme for iPod and/or portables? Or ready for a demo of some sort of cool wireless product/enhancement.

----------
LittleJim

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
Intriguing

But don't get too excited yet.

I have work to do before tomorrow, and it ain't gonna get done with all this excitement.

:cool:

Hope there's something good. An iPod wouldn't be enough for all that secrecy would it?!

kablooie

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2002
I've got a friend at Pixar who told me what it is.

Not as exciting as you would hope. Since they don't have any new products they needed something to keep them in the eye of the press.

They will have the block of ice with Walt Disney in it on display.

Sorry to let you down like this.

L

littlejim

Originally posted by kablooie
I've got a friend at Pixar who told me what it is.

Not as exciting as you would hope. Since they don't have any new products they needed something to keep them in the eye of the press.

They will have the block of ice with Walt Disney in it on display.

Sorry to let you down like this.
Is this so Apple can threaten Walt Disney Corp?

"Lay off the RIP-MIX-BURN campaign or Walt melts?"

----------
LittleJim

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
I think steve will wear Navy Blue and Khakis. Also, behind the curtain is a big sign that reads only "iJoke" Thats it!

:D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
hype

Of course they're shrouding it all in a mysterious black curtain. What ever they're unveiling has to wait until Jobs gets up and talks.

This is such good fodder for the rumor mill, though.

Q-bert

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2002
I dunno... my friend who works at Apple says they're doing that all the time now. EVERYTHING is draped in black, even when there's nothing new under the curtains, in the name of secrecy. So we may not see anything at all, really.

I don't have my hopes up. It'll probably be just an ordinary expo.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
OS X.2

With a new GUI Engine to replace Quartz/Aqua, based on open GL and Adobe's ATM/PDF and Atmosphere's browser engine. Add also an Apple browser: iSurf.

:D :eek: :p :cool: :rolleyes: ;)

How about a touchscreen line of LCD's with IBM's hi-def tech at about half it's top res?:D

krafix

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2002
Montreal, Canada
OSX anniversary

We are just 4 days away from OSX's 1st birthday. And Oscars' ad coming up. Doesn't all this fit together? X.2? I'm surprised that most people don't take note of it that much. Frankly, if Apple wants us all to switch to OSX, they need to make X better and sooner than MW. Now would be perfect with new iMacs getting in the parade. It's not new hardware, just like they said and maybe that's why they didn't have to hide the OSX banner on top.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
That's not a "shrouded mystery box." It's the new Apple iCurtain. They're revolutionizing the window dressing market.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Re: OS X.2

Originally posted by mischief
With a new GUI Engine to replace Quartz/Aqua, based on open GL and Adobe's ATM/PDF and Atmosphere's browser engine. Add also an Apple browser: iSurf.

:D :eek: :p :cool: :rolleyes: ;)

How about a touchscreen line of LCD's with IBM's hi-def tech at about half it's top res?:D
Could work, but they'd also have to introduce a (better than AppleWorks) office suite compatible with Office XP. This way when Microsoft kills Office v. X in retaliation for iSurf, everyone can sit back and smile, and of course laugh at Microsoft.

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
Originally posted by Gelfin
That's not a "shrouded mystery box." It's the new Apple iCurtain. They're revolutionizing the window dressing market.
<SIGH> Finally! Now I can take that tin foil off the windows of my mobile home and put up some real drapes! By the way, I'm still waiting for the release of iSlippers. I need something to keep my feet warm at the grocery store.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
HAH!?! iBunnyfeet!!!!

Originally posted by rt_brained

<SIGH> Finally! Now I can take that tin foil off the windows of my mobile home and put up some real drapes! By the way, I'm still waiting for the release of iSlippers. I need something to keep my feet warm at the grocery store.
I love it! fuzzy bunny-slippers in all the CRT iMac colours!

"New iBunnyfeet from Apple............innovative mercury-switch piston technology recharges your iBook while you walk to the fridge."

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Gelfin
I wonder if its the same material as Jobs' mock turtle neck?

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
Boxes marked "secret"... done before

Correct me if I am wrong, but at a recent show - two or three shows ago, Apple had large boxes that said something to the affect of "Superior" with the Apple logo on it.

As I recall, it ended up being almost nothing. A speed bumped computer or something -- don't recall exactly.

This sounds like the same tactic... although I am secretly wishing for a new digital Camera with iPhoto 2, or PDA.

I am hoping that it is more than just QT6 and OS X 10.2.x -- but I wouldn't be surprised.

With regards to QT6, Apple said that it had other options if the MPEG-4 licensing issue wasn't resolved in a timely manner -- perhaps their own variation of MPEG-4 called i<something>-1....

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Honestly, I am afraid something is wrong with me.. I have no anticipation whatsoever.. I guess it's because I am both broke, and not feeling in particular need of anything.. I certainly am happy to see other people happy and giddy.. I certainly have been frantic on the eve of other expos.. maybe I have reached that fabled land of "satisfied"... or perhaps I am just coming down with something.