Apple branded motherboards?

Jyby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 31, 2011
I was thinking about Apples next Mac Pro and thought it would be really cool if Apple designed ATX motherboards that officially supported Mac OS. Then we could design / build any ATX configuration we wanted...

Do you think Apple would do this? If thy didn’t want to give up full control of the computer I guess they’ll have to build their own case and everything gets expensive for us.

tsialex

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Brazil
This is a crazy level of thinking beyond MP7,1 thread levels. :p

I think that even Woz would think that Apple producing motherboards to sell into the retail market is a crazy pants idea.

Btw, if in same alternate reality Apple is going to do this, an updated backplane/CPU tray combo designed to upgrade MP5,1 would be nice.
[doublepost=1551629430][/doublepost]That QUO-AOS motherboard still works nowadays?

Last edited:

iGobbleoff

macrumors regular
May 2, 2011
Apple wants to be in the Appliance business. Seal off the whole product, if it breaks you have to buy a new one.

startergo

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2018
This is a crazy level of thinking beyond MP7,1 thread levels. :p

I think that even Woz would think that Apple producing motherboards to sell into the retail market is a crazy pants idea.

Btw, if in same alternate reality Apple is going to do this, an updated backplane/CPU tray combo designed to upgrade MP5,1 would be nice.
[doublepost=1551629430][/doublepost]That QUO-AOS motherboard still works nowadays?
QUO is still working, but I haven't played with it running OSX for a long time. My son is using it, but in Windows.

ZStech

Suspended
Feb 3, 2019
I was thinking about Apples next Mac Pro and thought it would be really cool if Apple designed ATX motherboards that officially supported Mac OS. Then we could design / build any ATX configuration we wanted...

Do you think Apple would do this? If thy didn’t want to give up full control of the computer I guess they’ll have to build their own case and everything gets expensive for us.
That could be awesome but honestly - guys that are saying that Apple never do that are right. I don't think is reasonable for them - give us a posibility to buld something.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2018
Earth
All that comes to my mind when I think about this is "software problems galore".

They have very time covering current Mac lineup, let alone this, which can be combined into bunch of different hardware configurations.