Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's "spaceship" second campus is scheduled to be completed at the end of 2016, and with 10 months to go, construction is progressing rapidly on both the main ring-shaped building and several auxiliary buildings, including the underground auditorium, the visitor's center, and the Tantau addition, where research and development will take place.

Drone pilot Duncan Sinfield has shared a February campus update with MacRumors, giving us one of our closest looks yet at the ongoing construction and progress that's been made since our last update in January. Starting last month, the window panels that make up the unique curved glass exterior began going up, and with additional panels added this month, there's a clear look at what the completed building will look like.

With much of the exterior nearing completion, cranes are now lifting parts of the roof into place on the main building, and the roof for the underground auditorium will soon be attached. A solar array has also been affixed to one of the two parking structures.

When finished, Apple's second campus will include the 2.8 million square foot ring-shaped main building, several parking structures, a 100,000 square foot fitness center, a 120,000 square foot auditorium, and a dedicated visitor's center, all surrounded by lush green landscaping.

Construction on the campus is scheduled to be completed at the end of 2016.

Article Link: Apple Campus 2 Taking Shape Rapidly as Completion Date Approaches

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008

Apple's "spaceship" second campus is scheduled to be completed at the end of 2016, and with 10 months to go, construction is progressing rapidly on both the main ring-shaped building and several auxiliary buildings, including the underground auditorium, the visitor's center, and the Tantau addition, where research and development will take place.

Drone pilot Duncan Sinfield has shared a February campus update with MacRumors, giving us one of our closest looks yet at the ongoing construction and progress that's been made since our last update in January. Starting last month, the window panels that make up the unique curved glass exterior began going up, and with additional panels added this month, there's a clear look at what the completed building will look like.

With much of the exterior nearing completion, cranes are now lifting parts of the roof into place on the main building, and the roof for the underground auditorium will soon be attached. A solar array has also been affixed to one of the two parking structures.

When finished, Apple's second campus will include the 2.8 million square foot ring-shaped main building, several parking structures, a 100,000 square foot fitness center, a 120,000 square foot auditorium, and a dedicated visitor's center, all surrounded by lush green landscaping.

Construction on the campus is scheduled to be completed at the end of 2016.

Article Link: Apple Campus 2 Taking Shape Rapidly as Completion Date Approaches
[doublepost=1454351645][/doublepost]Did the apartment complex just refuse to sell? I'm sure Apple offered them way above market value. I don't blame them though. Those are guaranteed rental units as long as Apple is around.

The Chosen One

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2015
Those quick cuts just feel like a very American thing or maybe its just new in general but I'm noticing it a lot in series aswell. One face of the conversation to the other, and back and back.
Saw it a bit ago in a Dota 2 team intro clip aswell, so all over the place it was making me annoyed.

jdogg836

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Oklahoma
Its crazy how much progress they have made since the last video a month ago, here in Sweden they cant even fix a pot hole in that timeframe.

I can tell you from experience that most of the US doesn't operate that quickly. In Oklahoma, it seems we don't even bother to fix pot holes. Talk about hell on an automobile.

It does look like the campus is shaping up nicely, though. I'm excited to see it completed.

Reactions: Jamalien and Icaras

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Those quick cuts just feel like a very American thing or maybe its just new in general but I'm noticing it a lot in series aswell. One face of the conversation to the other, and back and back.
Saw it a bit ago in a Dota 2 team intro clip aswell, so all over the place it was making me annoyed.
It's an MTV thing from 30 years ago. It just kind of stuck.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Though the buildings themselves are scheduled to be completed at the end of this year, I wonder how long it will take to fully occupy a building that massive. Plus I assume all the planned landscaping will take years of maturation before it resembles the sketches.

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
[doublepost=1454351645][/doublepost]Did the apartment complex just refuse to sell? I'm sure Apple offered them way above market value. I don't blame them though. Those are guaranteed rental units as long as Apple is around.
They're actually going to be leveled and nearly 3 times as many units built in their place. Pretty smart of the developers if you ask me. I would imagine rent cost will double as well, since Apple is next door now.

Reactions: Avalontor

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
That'll be the mother of all office-moves.
Imagine a treck of 12000 apple-employees with push-carts (for Macs + Displays) behind them, stretching between One Infinite Loop and Pruneridge Av. ...

Reactions: ShinyDren

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
what's with the giant dirt pile/mountain - what secret, cavernous labs must they have dug to get that much material?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So I wonder are most of the people from infinite loop moving to this new campus? Then who would be moving into IL? The only thing we've heard so far is the design team will occupy about 30,000 sq ft. on the top floor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.