Apple Can Block Your Phones Whenever They Want!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Omacc, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Omacc macrumors member

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I would not trust a Hip Hop website for my security concerns.

While Apple has the capability to disable any iPhone (and always has done), they don't utilise that functionality and have no reason to.

3. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

This is good. You're phone is stolen, you IMEI block it, the Apple disables it. Thief gets a lightweight brick!

4. gentlefury macrumors 68030

If this were to be done it would be in instances of theft...not to impose some draconian rule over its customers.

People are so paranoid!

5. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

Ios, android, and likely win 8 and bb all have remote kill switches built in incase some malware propagates through millions of phones and cause widespread destruction. Amazon is the only company that has used it to delete copies of an ebook from kindles anger people purchased it, but apple is the only company that gets press about the so called evil measures.

6. duneriderltr450 macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

Brb, gonna go cover up my phone with tin foil and build an underground bunker to live in.

7. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Just don't cover the antennas!

8. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Psst! Did you know that your ISP can actually see every email you send should they wish too? Oh, and the phone company could listen in to every phone call, and the cable company can monitor everything you watch.

Some people either need to get a grip, a clue, or both. :rolleyes:

9. gladoscc macrumors 6502

That's why I message through encrypted IRC hosted on my home server and I use pgp for emails.

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

be thankful ATT is not using to help their throttle mission

11. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Google can block your Android phone and remove any apps on it using their remote kill switch as well. In fact, they won't use it. I think that's a counter measure on crazy smartphone thefts.

----------

If you're a normal guy having a normal life your IRC messages and e-mails won't have any value to law enforcement / national security / NASA / White House / the Pentagon :D

If you're not such a normal guy and your information is so valuable to the government agencies I think your encryption may probably be compromised already.

12. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I saw a documentary on TV the other day and apparently the FBI has the resources to turn on your phone (any model) remotely to record conversations in the room if they want to.

13. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

or ceiling cat

14. darster Suspended

15. ANMA dojo macrumors regular

except Apple doesn't do this. if you report it to your carrier, they will blacklist it from their network, but that doesn't stop the thief from DFU restoring it in iTunes. considering how every restore requires communication with Apple to verify that you're using an approved firmware, you'd think that Apple would be willing to blacklist stolen phone IMEI's from being reformatted.

16. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

Lol you were reading about stolen iPhones on a hip hop site......... What a shocker haha

17. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Too easy for people to file false reports just to screw with someone. An ex girlfriend, boyfriend, husband, or wife might have enough info to cause a lot of problems if they got angry enough. I wouldn't want my company getting in the middle of that potential drama either.

18. ANMA dojo macrumors regular

not any more easier than false reports to carriers?

19. Vetvito macrumors 6502a

Cool but what about the recipient? Now what about the info being recorded on your home server? What about that hard drive that saves everything and doesn't delete?

20. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

They actually did use the "kill switch" a couple years back to remove one particular app they determined to be malware. It made a big stink, though, so I don't think they're likely to use it again anytime soon.

21. children macrumors regular

awesome,

IMEI block really never good enough, people would just sell it overseas..
    if apple blocks it globally, that would stop a lot of stolen phones on eBay..

22. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

1. Why in the hell are you getting your news from worldstarhiphop?

2. It's a patent application. That doesn't even mean they've engineered this out yet, let alone plan to implement it. Apple patents everything it thinks of, ASAP.

23. Mrbobb macrumors 601

And why would Apple wants to disable your phone? because u badmouth Tim Cook? :rolleyes:

What i would like to see is a cell feature (should not be too hard, it's politics) for an establishment: Theater, Hospital blah-blah, able to tell your phone to go into vibrate only. First for the uneducated people, and 2nd for those folks who really forget.

----------

Because NPR is too boring. :D

24. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

None of this concerns me as my tin foil hat protects me from the government spy's and those of you who try to read my mind. Can't read my mind? That's because of my foil hat.

Also shamus, my leprechaun friend told me to not worry.

Really though, what are you doing that would be of interest to the government so that they want to listen? Chances are if your sending encrypted messages or using pgp, THEN they are interested and wondering why your being so secretive.