Apple Canada Confirms - NO Unlocked Phones at stores

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OSMac, Sep 15, 2012.

1. OSMac macrumors 65816

Forget lining up if you want a unlocked iPhone 5 in Canada.
    Apple has updated their site, the rumor was true, they will only be selling contract phones in store.

http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/iphone/

Buy iPhone 5 with a contract at your favourite Apple Retail Store beginning at 8:00 a.m. on September 21. We can help you choose the right rate plan and get you up and running. Or visit the Apple Online Store to buy an unlocked, no-contract iPhone 5.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not surprising as apple doesn't initially sell unlocked phones. A few months after the fact unlocked phones will start making their way into the stores (at least thats how it worked in the US)

3. bugout macrumors 6502a

Apple always sold unlocked phones in store on release day (in canada).. I bought my iphone 4 and 4s in Canada on release day in the store in Montreal.

4. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Very surprising for Apple Canada its a complete reversal of policy.

Unlike the US, in Canada the only iPhone price they even mention on the website is the unlocked $699 version. Its always been available to purchase in store on release day for a couple years now.

5. bugout macrumors 6502a

I remember seeing tons of Asians in line buying the phones to scalp for the last couple of years. There was a guy with a van parked on front of the apple store in Montreal waiting for them to come out. He would take the bag from them as they walked out of the store and throw it in the van and they would get back in line.

I guess apple isn't taking **** from scalpers anymore.. Now the rest of us have to pay. :(

6. OSMac, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Was the 1 hour sellout was partly due to less stock being allocated for first day deliveries. They want the majority of stock going to Apple stores and retailers where additional contract residual profit can be made?

The side effect will be that the scalper market prices will be driven extremely high for those who did get an order in for delivery on the 21st.

7. bugout macrumors 6502a

I need to correct you there.. Apple does not make money off phone contracts. They make the same amount whether they sell unlocked or through a carrier.

8. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, was just repeating what was posted here:

Apple makes more money on a contract phone than outright unlocked purchases as they receive residual revenue from monthly carrier fees

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone...ill-not-sell-unlocked-iphone-5-on-launch-day/

9. bugout macrumors 6502a

10. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

The carriers must pay a commision to retailers signing up new or renewing subscribers?

Thus Apple would make more money selling on contract?

11. profets macrumors 68040

I would think that carriers buying huge stock from Apple get them at a better price than 699/unit, meaning an unlocked phone through apple retail nets them more.

12. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

I think the money to be made and shared is in the 3 year $70/month contract not the hardware?

13. bugout macrumors 6502a

14. profets macrumors 68040

No, they definitely don't get anything from monthly plans. That only occurred with the original iPhone and AT&T since it wasn't being directly subsidized by AT&T.

15. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

Rogers (Canada) Selling No-Contract iPhones?

With the recent discovery/announcement (whatever you want to call it) that Canadian Apple Stores will NOT be selling unlocked iPhone 5's in store, I was thinking the next best way to get my hands on one without a term contract was to buy one no-term from the carrier (I was planning on adding the 5 as an additional line on my existing family plan a year in, and didn't want to extend my family's commitment). Does anyone know if Rogers sells iPhones off contract?

16. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

The carriers must pay retailers who renew or sign up new plans?

It may not be a monthly payment, but a one time finders fee.

For a hot new Android device retailers like Futureshop and Bestbuy will not even sell them outright unless you sign a contract. If the only profit was in the hardware sale why would they care, it's easier to sell outright?

17. cfc4ever macrumors member

In Australia
    Online - Unlocked Only, no carrier contracts
    Retail - Unlocked and Carrier contracts.

It has been like that since the 4 (previously only unlocked) all are available on release day and online for preorders. Same timing as the US as we are part of the first wave (well the retail stores open 12 hours earlier here because of the time difference :D)

Same here to Apple advertises the unlocked price, not the subsided carrier price. Also the subsided carrier are not uniform and it depends on your monthly plan also

18. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

19. profets macrumors 68040

Ohh, you mean the carrier giving a fee of some sort to a retailer like BB/FS when a customer signs a contract? That's an interesting question if Apple retail stores get some sort of fee for helping a customer sign a contract. I'd assume that Apple retail has some sort of agreement with each carrier as to what happens when they sell a phone from Apple's stock to the carrier's customer.

20. terraphantm macrumors 68040

You can't draw a trend from a single point. The 4S was the only iPhone launch after apple introduced unlocked iPhones to the US. It does appear Apple will continue that, but they really haven't said anything about unlocked iPhone 5s here

21. MikeNemat macrumors regular

This is such horse ****. Everyone should email tcook@apple.com and let them know that by not telling us this before the preorder, Apple shafted their most loyal customers who would otherwise be lining up for the launch.

22. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

I called the Apple 1-800 # and I called two local Apple Stores. 2 out of 3 said they will be selling unlocked iPhone 5's at launch.

[​IMG]

23. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Refer them to the website thats clearly states selling phones with contracts only... they will change response.

24. coolweirdo macrumors regular

coolweirdo

ok so now im confused im suppose to be on Toronto thur-sun:mad:

25. spybenj macrumors member

The iphoneincanada blog posting was just updated,
    Now the apple site says:
    Buy iPhone 5 at your favourite Apple Retail Store beginning at 8:00 a.m. on September 21. We can help you choose the right rate plan and get you up and running.

Instead of
    Buy iPhone 5 with a contract at your favourite Apple Retail Store beginning at 8:00 a.m. on September 21. We can help you choose the right rate plan and get you up and running. Or visit the Apple Online Store to buy an unlocked, no-contract iPhone 5.

But the other part of the site still says:
    "Pre-order now and get free shipping.
    See cart for delivery details.
    Pre-order
    Or buy with a contract at your favourite Apple Retail Store
    starting at 8:00 am on 21 September."

So the Apple Site is no longer clear. What do you all think?